Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The Adobe Lightroom app has a lens correction tool that fixes camera lens distortion. Curious as to why this isn't automatically applied as part of Apple's image processing.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
It's a reflection of their commitment to serious photography (evident with the end of Aperture).
Apple's raw conversion is speedy and pretty good. It's unfortunate their app is targeted to the casual picture taker. But their business isn't competing with Adobe and the like.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I'm just surprised that Apple doesn't include this simple correction as part of the image processing for JPEG, HEIF, and RAW formats shot on the iPhone and iPad. I think it's especially necessary for the ultra wide lens.

In their WWDC 2020 presentation, Apple announced a new option in Settings lets you capture mirrored selfies, which reflect the front camera preview. This tells me that Apple is giving attention to an otherwise overlooked shortcoming. I hope Apple gives lens corrections the same attention. While it's something that, if remedied, consumers in general won't notice, it will make for more true-to-life images, just like mirrored photos.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
For all we know, Apple does all this already with their camera app. It applies other things post-image, so maybe it’s a default calibration.
When I import photos taken with my iPhone camera into the Adobe Lightroom app, when I enable lens corrections, I can see the correction being made. This is especially apparent in photos taken using the ultra wide angle lens. This tells me that Apple does not make lens corrections in the processing of images.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
The fact you can “see” the corrections being made in Adobe may not mean Apple isn’t making any. Have you compared the images?

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The ultra wide angle lens is already corrected. That's why there isn't any RAW support for it. The native distortion is far worse.

Lens correction isn't free, it has a tendency to reduce sharpness and increase visible noise. Look carefully on a picture taken with the ultra wide lens, you'll notice both degrade away from the center.

For most general pictures, nobody notices the lens distortion unless you're toggling it on and off. That's why it's better not to force it on everybody.

Reactions: Ray2 and kallisti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.