Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I believe this was changed with a recent firmware update. Mine used to show battery percentage at all times, but now only show when battery is low.
Why? Why? WHY?

(Not direct at you of course. Thank you 😊)

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Why? Why? WHY?
My personal uneducated guess:
Inspecting the CR2032 battery discharge curve, it looks challenging to accurately determine the battery level simply by voltage.
Taking different ambient temperatures into account, it seems difficult to even get 20% steps right.
But at the curve's end, the decrease (voltage drop) is significant enough to push a substantiated "low" warning.
Perhaps the AirTag percentage readings were too inaccurate and Apple therefore chose the safe way out.

EDIT: AirTag specifications list the same temperature range as stated in the graph which is automatically accompanied by notable readout fluctuations:
  • Operating ambient temperature: −4° to 140° F (−20° to 60° C)

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
It's probably not a bad idea to set a reminder to replace the battery every 12 months. By the time the low battery warning appears, the AirTag may not be functioning reliably, and worse, the battery may be low when you are trying to locate the AirTag.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I just received a low battery warning for one of my AirTags. In Find My it states "Some features aren't available". Not sure it thats just the standard low battery warning statement.

But it would be cool to see the % before receiving the warning.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I just received a low battery warning for one of my AirTags. In Find My it states "Some features aren't available". Not sure it thats just the standard low battery warning statement.

But it would be cool to see the % before receiving the warning.
Yeah I just bought a new AirTags and I’m dying to know how much battery it has left.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
To give you an idea just how late you guys are to the party: #127

iOS 15.6, July of last year was when Apple removed that from AirTags. (note - licensees may still support it - Chipolo does).

Obviously, Apple decided it wasn't accurate enough, so instead only sends you the low battery notification.

The CR2032's are about $1, so I wouldn't waste any more cycles on this.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
To give you an idea just how late you guys are to the party: #127
Ha ha true. I only bought AirTags last week because of iOS 17 family sharing (though I still have no use for that feature since I’m always with my wife so AirTags would never ring). Have to buy them before Apple change to rechargeable batteries next version. 🙂

Firestorm007

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
I wouldn't want a rechargeable version. You would probably need to charge them every night like an Apple Watch! 🤔😬👀

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I wouldn't want a rechargeable version. You would probably need to charge them every night like an Apple Watch! 🤔😬👀
No you wouldnt. A CR2032 is still just a 3V DC source with 210mAh of capacity. Adding a rechargeable battery of the same spec wouldn't suddenly make the AirTag consume any more energy.

I guess your post is intended to be a joke, but just in case it isnt...

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
No you wouldnt. A CR2032 is still just a 3V DC source with 210mAh of capacity. Adding a rechargeable battery of the same spec wouldn't suddenly make the AirTag consume any more energy.
How often do you think it would need to be recharged? Would a rechargable battery give you the same days/months of use as a standard CR2032?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
How often do you think it would need to be recharged? Would a rechargable battery give you the same days/months of use as a standard CR2032?

Most rechargeable CR2032s are around 40mAh. So 1/5th of the lifespan of a non-rechargable lithium cell of the exact same form factor. You could use rechargable CR2032s in Airtags today provided you used your own external charger.

If Apple were to integrate a charging circuit into the Airtag, they probably wouldn't stick to the CR2032 form factor, so the lifetime of a standalone rechargeable Airtag would just depend on what kind of chemistry/capacity/size of the cell used internally.

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Most rechargeable CR2032s are around 40mAh. So 1/5th of the lifespan of a non-rechargable lithium cell of the exact same form factor. You could use rechargable CR2032s in Airtags today provided you used your own external charger.

If Apple were to integrate a charging circuit into the Airtag, they probably wouldn't stick to the CR2032 form factor, so the lifetime of a standalone rechargeable Airtag would just depend on what kind of chemistry/capacity/size of the cell used internally.
So instead of just dropping my AirTag in my suitcases and only caring about it when the warning pops up, taking a couple of minutes to change the battery, I would have to remember to charge it monthly, charge it just before a trip.
No thanks.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
So instead of just dropping my AirTag in my suitcases and only caring about it when the warning pops up, taking a couple of minutes to change the battery, I would have to remember to charge it monthly, charge it just before a trip.
No thanks.
Why monthly? I travel a lot. Have an AirTag in my wallet and back-bag. I change the battery like once a year?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
No thanks.
1/5th isnt one month, but, okay.

Remember, i was responding to whoever said an Airtag would need to be recharged as often as an Apple Watch, which is not true either.

Last edited by a moderator:

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
Why monthly? I travel a lot. Have an AirTag in my wallet and back-bag. I change the battery like once a year?
Rechargeable. Every month or so. before your trip to be safe. As opposed to the current battery that you change once a year. Rechargeable are great, depending on the application. An AirTag is not a good use case.

Reactions: Firestorm007

AsherN

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2016
Canada
1/5th isnt one month, but, okay.

Remember, i was responding to whoever said an Airtag would need to be recharged as often as an Apple Watch, which is not true either.
Fine, every 2 months.

Right now, my AirTags sit in my suitcase in my storage locker. Once in while, one tells me it needs a new battery. With rechargeable, I would have to constantly keep it charged.

Reactions: Firestorm007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.