Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Doesn't the M8 and M9 co-processor from the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 (respectively) allow you to raise or move your phone to wake it up? The 6th gen iPod, iPad Pros, and Air 2 have M8 and M9 processors too, so why can't they raise to wake?
It's not super important, but I thought the M co-processors worked the same. Is this just another Apple feature they only give to their favorite child: the iPhone?

Kallum.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Because its not necessary on an ipad ?

With a SmartCover (90% of ipad user have one) the screen open automatically when you open the cover so, no need for this feature realy.

Reactions: magicMac

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Because its not necessary on an ipad ?

With a SmartCover (90% of ipad user have one) the screen open automatically when you open the cover so, no need for this feature realy.
Yeah I realize it really is not a necessary feature, but would having it take much effort? And if the iPads CAN do it, why not just put the feature on... just cause?
Again, I don't really care about it that much, I'm really just curious as to "why not?"

Kallum.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Or, Apple will add it later to a newer iPad, and not make it a feature available to older models...

I would see use in this, I sit my iPP (12.9) in the keyboard position, so when I pick it up, I now press in the home button, then leave my finger resting on the unpressed home button for it to unlock. Raise to wake, would mean I would be able to pick it up just resting my finger on the home button.

Reactions: HateNot

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It "doesn't work" because it was never implemented. This isn't a bug, this is a feature that purposely wasn't added to the iPad.

Reactions: ABC5S

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
It "doesn't work" because it was never implemented. This isn't a bug, this is a feature that purposely wasn't added to the iPad.

I think the OP is asking why the feature wasn't implemented on the iPads.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Seems like it's not one they feel would fit in with the use cases they see for the iPad (vs an iPhone).

Or, it is a feature they decided to hold back for future models even though the current is capable. For example, why does Hey Siri only work with an iPP 12.9 when charging, but works all the time with the iPP 9.7, 6s and 6s+?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Or, it is a feature they decided to hold back for future models even though the current is capable. For example, why does Hey Siri only work with an iPP 12.9 when charging, but works all the time with the iPP 9.7, 6s and 6s+?
Any differences in the chips amongst those?

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Any differences in the chips amongst those?

Curiously, however, Apple's larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro does not support always-on "Hey Siri" voice controls, even though it too has the M9 chip. The jumbo-sized tablet only responds to "Hey Siri" commands when it is plugged into a power source.

It's unknown why Apple hasn't added always-on "Hey Siri" support for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The company says that the M9 is the core of the feature, so technically it should be possible.
However, as of iOS 9.3, Apple notes in the Settings app that the feature requires that the iPad Pro be connected to power.

Beyond the iPhone 6s series, iPhone SE and 9.7-inch iPad Pro, "Hey Siri" can also be used with the Apple Watch, but users must first raise their wrist to activate the screen before speaking.

Source:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...s-only-the-97-ipad-pro-has-always-on-hey-siri

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
doesn't the ipad still have the slow touch ID sensor? they probably think it's not needed there.

and it would be weird to raise such a big device, just to see if there are new notifications and then putting it down again.

Reactions: ABC5S

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
doesn't the ipad still have the slow touch ID sensor? they probably think it's not needed there.

and it would be weird to raise such a big device, just to see if there are new notifications and then putting it down again.

2 things:

1. The slow touch ID, is still faster than one can bring a device from far away (picking it up) to close to you in reading position (I do it now, I press in the button at full stretch, it is unlocked by the time I put it on my lap).

2. It doesn't have to be just for new notifications, it can be for use. It triggers an "awake" of the device, so it is now in ready mode, for unlocking or notifications.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'd like to see it included. I don't always have a cover on my device and I've gotten annoyed sometimes when I pick it up expecting it to come on and then realize that the iPad doesn't have this handy feature.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I'd like to see it included. I don't always have a cover on my device and I've gotten annoyed sometimes when I pick it up expecting it to come on and then realize that the iPad doesn't have this handy feature.

I do this almost 1x per day now that I am used to the 7+.

HateNot

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2018
Probably because there isn't a good use case for it.[/QUOTE@]

Because I’ve spent over $900 on this iPad Pro and case. And want R2W to save on the power button and home button.

Apple is the best of the best. They’re trend setters. And for that reason I’m prepared to spend more to get more. Love the Apple Pencil. Anyway I feel jipped. I want RAISE TO WAKE.

Make it a app idc, just get it to me lol

I’m fer serious

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.