Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Hey there,

I just received my sim free 12 mini, and transferred my old Verizon sim card. Im now realizing that I will need the new sim card in order to use 5G service, if Im not mistaken?

Im a bit upset with myself for not researching prior to purchase - and admittedly confused as to why anyone would want the sim free model in this scenario. I have Verizon pre-paid and was trying to avoid getting roped into a contract.

If anyone has any tips, I'd truly appreciate it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Hey there,

I just received my sim free 12 mini, and transferred my old Verizon sim card. Im now realizing that I will need the new sim card in order to use 5G service, if Im not mistaken?

Im a bit upset with myself for not researching prior to purchase - and admittedly confused as to why anyone would want the sim free model in this scenario. I have Verizon pre-paid and was trying to avoid getting roped into a contract.

If anyone has any tips, I'd truly appreciate it.
Don't be upset about it, you can simply order a new 5G SIM card from Verizon or check your apple store and see if they have one. They don't charge you for a SIM card, and all you need to do is then go insert that card, go to your Verizon account activate your new SIM card. There is no activation fee for this. I did this when I got the 12 Pro.

Elare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2020
Don't be upset about it, you can simply order a new 5G SIM card from Verizon or check your apple store and see if they have one. They don't charge you for a SIM card, and all you need to do is then go insert that card, go to your Verizon account activate your new SIM card. There is no activation fee for this. I did this when I got the 12 Pro.
Ahh, thank you!

It is cheaper to order the version (with) the sim and I thought I would also be charged for the sim.

but that clears this up. I truly appreciate it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Isn't the SIM free version an unlocked phone, and the SIM versions locked to the providers?
Nope, sim versions are also unlocked if you purchase it full price. Only carrier that locks the sim version is AT&T when you do the carrier financing.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I had planned to preorder SIM free until I found out I needed the 5G SIM card for 5G (which my plan already offers). So I just went ahead and ordered the Verizon one. I know it means an activation fee but at least I don't have to go into a Verizon store to get a new SIM.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Isn't the SIM free version an unlocked phone, and the SIM versions locked to the providers?
If you buy from Apple and pay in full it isn't locked. The confusion to me is, in the past, you couldn't on some carriers buy from Apple without providing a number to a postpaid account. So it seemed to me to open up an opportunity for confusion.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Carrier iPhone 12 Pro Maxes are widely available, but SIM free phones are sold out. Can I just buy a Verizon phone if I don’t use it on Verizon? They’re all the same phones anyway.

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
Carrier iPhone 12 Pro Maxes are widely available, but SIM free phones are sold out. Can I just buy a Verizon phone if I don’t use it on Verizon? They’re all the same phones anyway.
Yes, you can. However if you buy a Verizon version you might have an issue activating the esim right away on another carrier. That’s if you’re looking to use it right away on esim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.