Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I have a 14PM. I believed my questions also applicable to 13 and 15 PM. How and why the image can remain clear and sharp pushing to the limit of a 3sec exposure, not even really holding it completely still. And the result is not really grainy and is really quite acceptable. As compare to using a camera with image stabiliser which most modern cameras comes with it, we still need to be very careful to ensure non shaking and some even prefer to use a tripod.

L92

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
Your camera is taking one picture, with a 3s exposure time. Your phone is taking multiple photos with different exposure times and stitching the final picture together using sophisticated algorithm/ai to keep subjects as sharp as possible. It also has a much better stabilisation system/gyro to fight with the possible shakes. And finally it also has better noise reduction built in.
Tbh, modern higher end cameras also have great stabilisation and modern sensors, this combo enables you to use relatively fast shutter speed with pumped up ISO's in lower light environments. But to get the best out of those photos you should use RAW and use LR or other software to clean up the noise and make the final adjustments.

Last edited:

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Your camera is taking one picture, with a 3s exposure time. Your phone is taking multiple photos with different exposure times and stitching the final picture together using sophisticated algorithm/ai to keep subjects as sharp as possible. It also has a much better stabilisation system/gyro to fight with the possible shakes. And finally it also has better noise reduction built in.
Tbh, modern higher end cameras also have great stabilisation and modern sensors, this combo enables you to use relatively fast shutter speed with pumped up ISO's in lower light environments. But to get the best out of those photos you should use RAW and use LR or other software to clean up the noise and make the final adjustments.

If phone take multiple shots in the 3s exposure (for 14 PM max is 3s) and assuming 1s per shot as against a camera that requires 5s at biggest aperture, how come the image can still be brightly lit. I hv experimented this before.

L92

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
If phone take multiple shots in the 3s exposure (for 14 PM max is 3s) and assuming 1s per shot as against a camera that requires 5s at biggest aperture, how come the image can still be brightly lit. I hv experimented this before.
What? You are mixing things up. 5s is not aperture, but shutter speed.
What I told you is not a theory, it's a fact.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
What? You are mixing things up. 5s is not aperture, but shutter speed.
What I told you is not a theory, it's a fact.
No. I did not mixed things up. Pls read again slowly.

I'm saying what if the cam requires a 5s exposure at its biggest aperture, eg f2.2 in order to hv it properly exposed. How then a hp using multiple shots say 1s each can brighten up the photo. Its just merely stitching and aligning. Many shots of 1s do not brighten up a shot. Hey, I'm a photographer, but I just don't know how the mech or algo works in a hp.

If you can't answer, don't simple say its a fact.

L92

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2022
No. I did not mixed things up. Pls read again slowly.

I'm saying what if the cam requires a 5s exposure at its biggest aperture, eg f2.2 in order to hv it properly exposed. How then a hp using multiple shots say 1s each can brighten up the photo. Its just merely stitching and aligning. Many shots of 1s do not brighten up a shot. Hey, I'm a photographer, but I just don't know how the mech or algo works in a hp.

If you can't answer, don't simple say its a fact.
I'm also a photographer. It's not taking multiple 1s shots. It's taking shots at different shutter speeds and at different ISO levels. So let's say at beginning of process it's taking one 0,5s shot at a higher iso - then you have one shot with minimal motion blur but high ISO, so noise is high - then it's doing a longer shutter speed shot at a lower ISO in order to minise the noise and so on and so on.
The phone considers multiple factors: light, the phone’s movement, and the movement of objects being captured.
It shoots a series of images at different exposure levels and uses bracketing to merge them, and bring out as much detail as it can into a single picture. The final result also could include a final step of artificial brightening+noise reduction. General cameras don't have such capabilities, but you know that.
This is the gist of it.

Last edited:

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I'm also a photographer. It's not taking multiple 1s shots. It's taking shots at different shutter speeds and at different ISO levels. So let's say at beginning of process it's taking one 0,5s shot at a higher iso - then you have one shot with minimal motion blur but high ISO, so noise is high - then it's doing a longer shutter speed shot at a lower ISO in order to minise the noise and so on and so on.
The phone considers multiple factors: light, the phone’s movement, and the movement of objects being captured.
It shoots a series of images at different exposure levels and uses bracketing to merge them, and bring out as much detail as it can into a single picture. The final result also could include a final step of artificial brightening+noise reduction. General cameras don't have such capabilities, but you know that.
This is the gist of it.
Ok got it. Tks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.