Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the Apple Case since one month now and it doesn't look weared out at all. And—in opposite to leather, what wears out soon and doesn't look shiny new very long—you CAN clean it. If it's really dirty put it under running water, swipe it with a soft brush and dry it carefully once a month! Perfect clean like new. Try that with leather! Get one drop of coffee, red wine or oil on leather…

I don't like those plastic clamps. The Apple Case is soft overall. No magnets, no zips (beware of that crap!), no buttons, no clamps, no hard plastic, no "hard seams", no fasteners, no loose parts. You can put it even in tight and overfilled bags and nothing will press hard parts (hidden magnets!) against the iPad.

Very compact and SECURE! You can hold and turn the device in ANY way and it will never slip out. Most important! It has a very good grip when you hold it. I love to touch the material. The upright landscape stand is perfect stable when you put a paperweight in the opening. The typing angle is perfect and I am typing a lot (blind with ten fingers).

All connectors and buttons are very well protected but accessible. All sides and corners are covered, important too. There is a very efficient bezel around the touchscreen. It looks professional and discreet. Best value for size, weight, protection and functionality.

Habakuk,

This thread originally asked the question for those that do like the Apple case but are looking for something with the same functionality but more and different. As you can see viewing the threads in this forum, there are a lot of posters looking for something other than the Apple case. Everyone has their own opinion and what one person doesn't like may appeal to someone else. I truly loved my Apple case which I've had from the first week the iPad came out in the US. I even could put up with the smudges and cleaning once a week up until now where it wouldn't come clean anymore. Maybe I cleaned it too often and that's why it became worn to the point of not coming clean. Believe me, I tried everything including hard washing in the sink but some areas would come good as new and others would still have smudges. And my case really went from at home to the office and was not in contact with anything really dirty or any chemicals - just the regular use. So I have had the Apple case for around 3 months before it become unable to be fully cleaned.

I disagree with your comments on leather. I have leather coats, purses that last for many years with no staining. I have a leather padfolio for work (in use 21 years) and another leather notebook (10 years in use) that still look like new. With all my leather - I spray them with a leather guard protector when I first get them and away I go. Once in a great while maybe annually or if I have a spill I'll clean. We have two leather recliners and a leather ottoman that we use constantly in our living room and even with a dog and two baby grandkids they still look great. Now these have seen spills for sure but have been cleanable with leather cleaner.

I also am not a big fan of the plastic clips but the clips on this case are a material more rubberized which makes them easier to get on and off and the design makes this totally secure. Due to the design of the clips and cradle if you try to shake the iPad out of the clips, it actually grips tighter. I have zero concerns that this will securely hold the iPad securely in a fall.

My review of the Cyber Acoustic case was not to criticize the Apple case, far from it. I loved everything about the Apple case except for the cleaning issue. I just wanted an Apple like case that looked nice all the time and not just 2 minutes after I washed it and before I laid my first finger print on it. But after my Apple case was not coming clean anymore after only 3 months, I couldn't see buying the same case again. I truly hope your case continues to come clean for you longer than mine did.

With this new Cyber Acoustics case I have all the same functionality of the Apple case and won't have to spend time weekly on the cleaning. This one is truly an option for WilliamG that started the thread and others like him that are looking for a case with the same functionality as the Apple but in leather. My husband likes the idea that this case doesn't scream out Apple or anything else with a logo on the front. He said it just looks like a small paper pad holder and you wouldn't even know an iPad was in there.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Absolutely thrilled!! Cyber Acoustics case now also in red

I just went on the CA website to write a review on my black case and see that they've added a red one. I love the black one so much that I also ordered one in red. Seriously these are some awesome cases!!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I'm sorry but the CA case does not have the same functionality of the Apple care. All the sides are exposed. What's the point? This is one of the things that's REALLY important - no exposed edges!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Exposed edges?

I'm sorry but the CA case does not have the same functionality of the Apple care. All the sides are exposed. What's the point? This is one of the things that's REALLY important - no exposed edges!

Okay, why the importance of the edges being covered? Do you use your iPad in a dusty area? Or are you looking for some other type of protection? If concerned about a drop the CA case has some nice protection with the rubberized cradle with very substantial protection at the corners. Also when the front cover is closed it extends beyond the iPad a bit all the way around and would definitely give impact protection if dropped on a flat service. Now if I did have a heavy drop on something pointed or sharp, nothing would really protect it.

Good luck with your search. I did order an imported case (that I haven't received yet) before I received my CA case. According to the photos it is the exact replica of the Apple case but in a high quality faux leather material. I'll let you know how that one is once I receive it. Might even offer it up for the cost of shipping to whoever wants it due to my lovefest with the CA. It won't be worth sending it back to the supplier as the shipping cost was almost as much as the actual price. I'll keep you updated williamg.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Yes! Seems obvious to me, but I suppose other people have different needs?

Okay, why the importance of the edges being covered? Do you use your iPad in a dusty area? Or are you looking for some other type of protection?
It's more about scratch protection from things which could scratch or ding the metal edges. I wouldn't purposefully have keys or coins in the bag I was using to carry my iPad but accidents happen and it seems bizarre that so many cases don't cover the edges. The Piel Frama cases do, but apparently there are several issues with them from sagging typing angle to oily residues. The Chinao case does but is not available in the UK and is not leather anyway. The title of this thread continues to be relevant!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks Tallyho for the explanation

It's really funny how what's important to some isn't even on the radar screen for others. Different strokes for different folks. I'm pretty darn anal about keeping things clean and like new. Ask my kids and they will go on and on.

Anyway, full coverage of the edges hadn't even entered my mind for a must have. Now that you brought it up I checked both my work and personal laptops to see how those edges are holding up. One has the brushed metal and the other is plastic and I throw them in my work bag always with no case or protection. Both are perfect! Both of my work bags that hold just about everything have separate pockets so that's maybe why they haven't seen any scratches.

I carry my iPad either in hand or when in a bag or briefcase it has it's own pocket. So for me full edge protection is a non-issue.

All that said you would think that with all that's been written on these threads a supplier would take note of the wants of the customers. I know Yoobao seems to keep trying and with all the different versions almost has something for everyone.

The Apple case replica that I ordered in faux leather is now sold out so perhaps it will be pretty good. The price was very cheap so I was skeptical. I figured with all the cases I have tried I might as well order that one as well. I ordered this replica case before I received the CA case and will let everyone know how it is once I receive it. A case like the Apple in leather I would think would be difficult to perfect. The Apple case has that nice tight fit and I would imagine that leather would tend to stretch a bit after putting it in and out numerous times. Loose material around the bezel would be a problem.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I disagree with your comments on leather. I have leather coats, purses that last for many years with no staining. I have a leather padfolio for work (in use 21 years) and another leather notebook (10 years in use) that still look like new.

I have nothing against leather where it's practical. All my shoes are leather (with strong chemical protection of course), I love the black seats in my classic Citroëns or my furniture (very thick and strong leather). It looks and feels good but anyway you have to undertake quite some regulary efforts for conservation because it's a "living material". And here it even doesn't disturb when there is a bit of abrasion visible.

But for me it's absolute unpractical for things like purses, cases, gloves or other clothing that are exposed to heavy usage and dirt. And you never can clean leather completely hygienic (think about leather trousers, urgh…) because it simply doesn't like water or other moistness. Looks good and shiny on product photos or in the shops—but when I have the first coffee drop on it I'll go mad especially for the price of it.

It's too delicate for those things. I don't like the idea having to clean each place first where I put my iPad onto.

And yes it's one of the main features and functions of cases to cover all parts of the device when it's closed. Much more important than the look or the material in my honest opinion.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Agree to disagree re leather for iPad case

Well let's say I'll agree to disagree regarding leather for the iPad case. Different stokes for different folks. For me, all my purses, shoes, briefcases and dress gloves are leather. I have no problem keeping them clean and stain free. I've had some nubuck type leather that is impossible to keep clean and stay away from it. That said, this CA leather is tanned like my Franklin Covey and that even rolled off coffee drips.

Also, for me the iPad case is more for handling and use and some protection I.e. stand for typing mode. Maybe I'm just pretty easy on my things. As I mentioned before I drag my work laptop in and out of my briefcase daily with no case and the edges are perfect - no scratches.

So with your needs, what is the case that you like and prefer? As I've mentioned before, I was perfectly happy with the Apple case and could put up with the constant cleaning until after 3 months even with vigorous scrubbing in the sink it wouldn't come completely clean.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Ignore my last question

I realize that you have the Apple case and I truly hope it continues to meet your needs for a long time. For me, it would come clean all the time with some scrubbing except for just recently. Perhaps I cleaned it too much.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I realize that you have the Apple case and I truly hope it continues to meet your needs for a long time. For me, it would come clean all the time with some scrubbing except for just recently. Perhaps I cleaned it too much.

The "daily fingerprints" are gone with a simple dry or moistened cotton cloth in ten seconds. How to remove "fat dirt" (if that happens and it will happen) I described above.

Another example for inappropriate use of leather (sorry for off-topic): Last week I met my attorney in his shiny new office. He has bought an incredible expensive conference table with partly leather intarsia on the surface. Looks really great and stylish and modern and smells like leather—but never, never ever make use of it!

It needed exactly 20 minutes and he bowled over his little glass with finest Spanish tomato juice. Most of it was saved on the tray but some splatters were attracted like magnets by the leather parts of the table. Two cleaning ladies worked about 40 minutes with strong chemical essences to get rid of the smudge spots and you can still see it now and for all times.

Other than that he's a good lawyer. :)

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I love your lawyer story

That would have killed me to have a new piece of furniture damaged so quickly. I guess the leather that I have that doesn't stain has a different sort of tanning or protectant. My SUV has light beige leather seats and just about everything but wine has been spilled with no staining. The car is 5 years old. I have it professionally cleaned once a year after our tough NH winters which come with nasty road grime and salt from the snow and ice. The seats have had coffee, cola and fruit juice to name a few spilled on them. All have wiped up with no penetration into the leather or staining. Now the spillage onto the carpet was another story - out came the carpet washer machine. The leather ottoman coffee table that I previously mentioned is a much softer leather and appears to be more porous and would be susceptible to staining must again have some good factory protectant. The grandkids have spilled juice and formula on it with absolutely no staining or discoloration. This is also 5 years old and still looks like new. I wipe up spills when they happen and that's about it - no other cleaning or fussing with it.

With the Apple case I thought that really maybe I was missing something so I tried your method with a brush and cleaning product and even that didn't work. 75% of the case looks great except for some areas where the smudges won't come off. Well the Apple case is put away and I'll just enjoy my new CA case and look forward to my new one that's coming in red. My search is over!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Those look really cool

The 'Apple Case' in different colours. I do not know anything about the material used.
http://www.gumdropcases.com/surf-convertible-ipad-case.html

Do you have one? They look really cool but I'm concerned if it has the inner flap to hold the iPad securely in place. The photo down in the middle of the page in the upright mode appears to show the bottom of the iPad. If so then it probably doesn't have a flap. Let me know if you do decide to get one and how it works.

Man I gotta stay off this forum. I think I've purchased like 6 or 7 cases that were recommended by this forum. The ones that didn't work for me I have been quick to return but still pay the return shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.