Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
So my never used once iPhone 6 Plus WiFi is grayed out. I bought it for $100 with a “end of days” prepaid card and never used it. I personally don’t care, but when I googled the issue, it happens on the iPhone 8 too. That’s a $350-$400 phone. Shouldnt Apple atleast offer a $29 fix like the battery?

Last edited:

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
So my never used one iPhone 6 Plus WiFi is grayed out. I bought it with a $100 with a “end of days” prepaid card and never used it. I personally don’t care, but when I googled the issue, it happens on the iPhone 8 too. That’s a $350-$400 phone. Should Apple atleast offer a $29 fix like the battery?
Have you taken your iPhone 6 Plus to Apple to have someone look at it and try to resolve the problem?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
So my never used one iPhone 6 Plus WiFi is grayed out. I bought it with a $100 with a “end of days” prepaid card and never used it. I personally don’t care, but when I googled the issue, it happens on the iPhone 8 too. That’s a $350-$400 phone. Should Apple atleast offer a $29 fix like the battery?

Finding others who have an issue with a device that is being produced in the millions is not necessarily hard.

Finding some nutjob on google who claims the world is flat is also not necessarily proof of that theory.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I've given up on Apple techs competence. Bringing an iPhone to apple for them to "fix" it is an invitation for them wrecking it entirely. From my experience, either the phone gets replaced or is tossed in the trash. Repair isn't an option.
These things aren't repairable.
After what I've gone through with my last iPhone, I'd NEVER take an iPhone to Apple to try to fix anything

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
I've given up on Apple techs competence. Bringing an iPhone to apple for them to "fix" it is an invitation for them wrecking it entirely. From my experience, either the phone gets replaced or is tossed in the trash. Repair isn't an option.
These things aren't repairable.
After what I've gone through with my last iPhone, I'd NEVER take an iPhone to Apple to try to fix anything

Never had any problems with Apple repairs... as is the majority of all cases, still better than every other phone manufacturers alternative.

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Finding others who have an issue with a device that is being produced in the millions is not necessarily hard.

Finding some nutjob on google who claims the world is flat is also not necessarily proof of that theory.

i don’t get what you’re saying. Google “iphone WiFi greyed out”. It’s a “common“ problem
[automerge]1571583607[/automerge]
Have you taken your iPhone 6 Plus to Apple to have someone look at it and try to resolve the problem?
No, like I said I don’t care, but others might

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
i don’t get what you’re saying. Google “iphone WiFi greyed out”. It’s a “common“ problem

I can google just about any problem and find results for any device. That doesn't make it a "common problem" as in a widespread problem. Obviously the problem isn't one that is common enough for Apple to issue a recall and they do what every company does: handle it on a case by case basis.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
[automerge]1571583607[/automerge]

No, like I said I don’t care, but others might

Common on which model? How many verified cases have you researched to come to this conclusion? I haven’t come across one in years. There are multiple of these devices, especially model 8, in my family and other circles. Nobody ever experienced it. Again, I can google around and find more than one claim that Elvis is alive, but that doesn’t necessarily make it true.

Reactions: TopherMan12

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I can google just about any problem and find results for any device. That doesn't make it a "common problem" as in a widespread problem. Obviously the problem isn't one that is common enough for Apple to issue a recall and they do what every company does: handle it on a case by case basis.

whats verified? Well I can verify more broke. I searched eBay and craigslist and found multiple for sale with this issue, as well as a couple YouTube videos from repairers. I also called my local repair sho- for giggles, in order he said, cracks, battery then this WiFi antenna problem are the main issues. Then I googled iPhone replacement parts and emailed a really big supplier (I don’t think I can advertise them) as I was gonna buy these fix them then resale, they also said the WiFi antenna is their 3rd biggest seller due to this issue

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
You still haven’t gone to the Apple store to get help? I have iPhones from 4S through 11 Pro here and none of them have this issue. It sounds like a defect and should be taken to a store to diagnose.

Reactions: revmacian

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
whats verified? Well I can verify more broke. I searched eBay and craigslist and found multiple for sale with this issue, as well as a couple YouTube videos from repairers. I also called my local repair sho- for giggles, in order he said, cracks, battery then this WiFi antenna problem are the main issues. Then I googled iPhone replacement parts and emailed a really big supplier (I don’t think I can advertise them) as I was gonna buy these fix them then resale, they also said the WiFi antenna is their 3rd biggest seller due to this issue

What do you think you have proven with all this? That there have been phones with WiFi antenna problems? Ok....great. Google all that and replace iPhone with Samsung Galaxy and you'll find the same results.

Pretty sure everyone knows that screens and batteries are the two biggest problems with smart phones. I'm betting the gap between number 2 and and number 3 on that list is fairly large. If it were even close to being a widespread issue then you would be seeing a ton of news articles from tech sites talking about it. But nope......seems all there is.....is you.

Reactions: russell_314

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
What do you think you have proven with all this? That there have been phones with WiFi antenna problems? Ok....great. Google all that and replace iPhone with Samsung Galaxy and you'll find the same results.

Pretty sure everyone knows that screens and batteries are the two biggest problems with smart phones. I'm betting the gap between number 2 and and number 3 on that list is fairly large. If it were even close to being a widespread issue then you would be seeing a ton of news articles from tech sites talking about it. But nope......seems all there is.....is you.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8429257 multiple on apples own forum

10 plus YouTube how to fix I don’t feel like linking

there were atleast 100 more when I did a quick search Friday

so no, not only me

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
so no, not only me

Yes it is. You are the only one suggesting this is at the level needing a recall. There are "fix" articles for all kinds of problems out there. If this were an issue that rose to the level of needing a recall then there would be a lot more attention to the problem than just "how to fix" articles. MacBook butterfly keyboard level attention is what I am talking about, where the problem has its own repair program. And if you read the articles the most common fix is to reset the network settings or the device entirely. So the most common fix for this is a software reset and you are suggesting it needs a hardware recall? Seriously?

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Yes it is. You are the only one suggesting this is at the level needing a recall. There are "fix" articles for all kinds of problems out there. If this were an issue that rose to the level of needing a recall then there would be a lot more attention to the problem than just "how to fix" articles. MacBook butterfly keyboard level attention is what I am talking about, where the problem has its own repair program. And if you read the articles the most common fix is to reset the network settings or the device entirely. So the most common fix for this is a software reset and you are suggesting it needs a hardware recall? Seriously?

again, youre wrong. These is a post on apples forum asking to have this fixed at a discount. So no, “not only me”

of course, this is where youll change your position. ” by ONLY you, I ment you and the others, in ancient Egypt ”only“ ment A few, that’s what I ment”

I already accept this response “only you, didn’t mean ‘only you’..so no need to respond with that

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
again, youre wrong. These is a post on apples forum asking to have this fixed at a discount. So no, “not only me”

of course, this is where youll change your position. ” by ONLY you, I ment you and the others, in ancient Egypt ”only“ ment A few, that’s what I ment”

I already accept this response “only you, didn’t mean ‘only you’..so no need to respond with that
If a problem can be resolved with a software patch then chances are that Apple will opt for that rather than expending the resources required to effect a hardware recall. Problem solving 101 - always begin with the easiest avenue of approach.

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
If a problem can be resolved with a software patch then chances are that Apple will opt for that rather than expending the resources required to effect a hardware recall. Problem solving 101 - always begin with the easiest avenue of approach.
It can’t, the WiFi antenna gets micro tears

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

No idea how I’m wrong when you’ve posted so many articles demonstrating that this issue can be resolved by the phone’s owner. You’ve done all the work showing that a recall hasn’t been necessary. So no, I see no need to change my position.

Good luck with your WiFi antenna repair business though.

Reactions: russell_314

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
No idea how I’m wrong when you’ve posted so many articles demonstrating that this issue can be resolved by the phone’s owner. You’ve done all the work showing that a recall hasn’t been necessary. So no, I see no need to change my position.

Good luck with your WiFi antenna repair business though.
It can’t. Those articles show steps to TRY first. Kinda like “my battery only last 20 mins” step one, reset the phone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Shouldnt Apple atleast offer a $29 fix like the battery?
Apple's $29 battery replacement was in response to one of the biggest public outcries against them, IMO.

This WiFi issue isn't equivalent in that regard. Not even close. If sometimes takes a big public outcry (or legal threat) to move Apple to take action, IMO.

Last edited:

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Before you come to an Internet forum to complain Make sure you’ve made the effort to contact Apple support or go to an Apple store to have your issue properly addressed and Then if you still have issues you can come run over here and tell us.

Lacedup17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Before you come to an Internet forum to complain Make sure you’ve made the effort to contact Apple support or go to an Apple store to have your issue properly addressed and Then if you still have issues you can come run over here and tell us.
Apple won’t fix it. Why would they fix it? Apple store fixes out of warranty products? Also ive read atleast 30 reports of people taking it in to Apple. Not one got it fixed. Also my question stands, what would they even try out of warranty
[automerge]1571598838[/automerge]
Again not true. Search I phone 6 battery problem. The first solution won’t read to take it in

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Apple won’t fix it. Why would they fix it? Apple store fixes out of warranty products? Also ive read atleast 30 reports of people taking it in to Apple. Not one got it fixed. Also my question stands, what would they even try out of warranty
[automerge]1571598838[/automerge]
Again not true. Search I phone 6 battery problem. The first solution won’t read to take it in
Why don’t you go to Apple and find out for yourself? Worst case they say it requires a full replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.