Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
Shortly before Christmas I sold an iPhone via the website swappa.com. Lat Sunday the buyer submitted a claim that he did not authorize the purchase. I did everything I was supposed to do as a seller, shipped immediately with insurance. The packaged was received and signed for. I even can show him asking when it would ship and providing positive feedback for me. My account now has a hold on it! I've responded to the case and given tracking info and screenshots. What are chances I get screwed? How do I fight this as a seller who did everything right? What liability does Swappa have her for allowing as scammer to purchase the device?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I left PayPal too! They were getting purchased by someone after Elon sold it! It went downhill fast after that with questionable decisions back in zeros and onward it seems! I guess I made the correct decision back in late zeros!

Reactions: CrystalGuy

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Shortly before Christmas I sold an iPhone via the website swappa.com. Lat Sunday the buyer submitted a claim that he did not authorize the purchase. I did everything I was supposed to do as a seller, shipped immediately with insurance. The packaged was received and signed for. I even can show him asking when it would ship and providing positive feedback for me. My account now has a hold on it! I've responded to the case and given tracking info and screenshots. What are chances I get screwed? How do I fight this as a seller who did everything right? What liability does Swappa have her for allowing as scammer to purchase the device?
When I sold an iPhone on Swappa a few years ago I was wondering for 6 months if the buyer was going to pull something shady like you're describing.. Not sure what you could of done differently, as some people are out to take advantage of rules that Paypal has in place to protect buyers and honest sellers take it in the shorts as a result. Hope you get it sorted out

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
What are chances I get screwed?
Unfortunately, very high. Scammers know how to take advantage of PayPal or other money transfer apps like Venmo, and Zelle. There's no loss to the company so they have little incentive to stop these scams. It's going to go on till some politician realizes there's such a thing as Paypal and decides companies need to stop facilitating these scams.

If you want to sell something to a total stranger best rule is meet indoors at a public place with lots of friends who can handle problems.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I stopped selling to private individuals. I use Jay Brokers or other commercial buy services. The amounts aren't as high, but I've never been screwed before either.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

Paypal is an utter **** show for sellers and I refuse to use them anymore. I sold a camera lens once and long story short a certified letter from my bank to PayPal said I never got the money, the buyer got a certified letter from his bank saying the money was sent to PayPal, and PayPal never gave me my money, they "agreed to a percentage" aka $150 on a $2k lens sale. They're thieves plain and simple.

Winterfibre

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2016
I was selling bitcoin like 9 years ago long story short take your money out from paypal balance , they took 10k from me. said it was all bought with stolen credit cards

CrystalGuy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
I would never recommend paypal and have removed it from our website payment options after the latest scam to hit us. US buyer purchased 2 rare pieces from us via paypal. We shipped and tracked delivery. They raised a false claim of damage to one item asking for a huge refund. We rejected this and asked for return shipping in exchange for full refund plus refund of shipping costs. Buyer refuses saying thye want refund and to keep the items!! Instead they raise a false claim of 'not as described' via paypal. Paypal insist on items returned ...which is fine...except they send a box with broken rubbish in it rather than the bought items. We suspected a scam so videoed the arrival of the package and its sealed box, the unsealing and opening. ALl provided as evidence to paypal. two detailed discussions with paypal grievance managers who totally agreed with us. Guess what...found in favour of buyer because they supplied a tracking number.... Never using paypal again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.