Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chair-Sama

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2016
One doesn't need to say something to be expressing a view, a value, a position. At 0:46, Tim expresses his complete rejection of the superfluous and notion of a lack of simplicity, he laughs at the absurdity of 'Intel Inside' stickers being put on products.

Tim Cook wasn't just with Steve Jobs from early on, he was with Steve Jobs at the moment in time when the new Apple was being born and has been just as much critical to the nurturing of the company. Now I think there are aspects that Tim can do better at Apple for example regarding their offshore workforce standards for example. However, Tim is very much part of the good forward thinking aspects of the Apple "cult". Tim decided against staying at Compaq and chose instead to help sculpt the Apple we know today starting from 1998 onwards.

Thinner products aren't an issue with the exception that the design and function must remain paramount; a simple test is protruding cameras which fails the design aspect, and lesser battery capacity which fails the functional aspect.

It's early days still, Tim has only been in the position for five years. And while he will continue to be compared with Steve Jobs probably forever, it was Steve and the board's decision to name Tim as CEO. And the decision was right. Only those with an intimate understanding of the core values should be Apple CEO, and not those individuals with corrupted values that might take the Apple ship out to sea and sink it.
people also forget, at one point, people said this same thing about steve jobs right before he was booted from his own company to put it plainly. look how that went ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wait a minute. I "bash" some products, the ones I think that are poorly done. Can I not do that? But I praise many others. It's possible to have a variety of views.
One of my favorite products under Tim Cook's vision is the iPad mini 4. That is one of Apple's most cleanest and well designed products. No rubbish bands, protruding cameras, or smart connectors. Perfectly executed.

4266101cv12d.jpg

ipad-mini-4-201509-gallery1_2.jpg

Deja' Vu SMACRUMON. This is exactly what I was debating the other day with you about Apple. Your inconsistent with your answers and posts with Apple, one post your praising them and the next your bashing Apple. It's hard to believe anything you post, being its widespread on Macrumors apparently. You set up your own thread for others to truly see your own inconsistencies.

More on topic:

As for Tim Cook, likeable? Yes. Under major scrutiny? Yes. What is Apple's future? At this junction, I have no idea, as I've stated before.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I dislike the repetitions that result from careless openings of topics.

I do think that it's reasonable to repeatedly change one's mind about some things, or to change degrees of expression of emotion about one's mind(s).

That's an OK way to be.

I'd rather that, than an over-animated and noisy CEO. That combination of character traits would not inspire confidence.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Deja' Vu SMACRUMON. This is exactly what I was debating the other day with you about Apple. Your inconsistent with your answers and posts with Apple, one post your praising them and the next your bashing Apple. It's hard to believe anything you post, being its widespread on Macrumors apparently. You set up your own thread for others to truly see your own inconsistencies.

More on topic:

As for Tim Cook, likeable? Yes. Under major scrutiny? Yes. What is Apple's future? At this junction, I have no idea, as I've stated before.
I have to say....I don't know what he was showing me from that video.

Reactions: 44267547

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
My only concern with Tim is that he only knows how to play it safe - in terms of what Apple are doing right now, there's nothing that leads me to believe they're willing to take any real risks.

The lineup is basically the same as they've ever been doing, and Apple Watch was ultimately a pet project (probably much like Apple TV) that wouldn't have ruined the company had it failed.

I really think Apple need to start growing some balls and start making some seriously interesting new products. I don't think they need to branch into new areas - just make the areas they do exist in absolutely, unequivocally, the best.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd rather that, than an over-animated and noisy CEO. That combination of character traits would not inspire confidence.
Perhaps, while he's fairly quiet on many of Apple's major initiatives, doubling down on the secrecy no doubt, he's very animated and vocal on certain social and political issues. I think he should spend more of his energies focusing on Apple's core pillars, then perhaps going on the Mad Money investor show.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016

More on topic:

I'm not inconsistent. When I see a product or service I think is terrible from a highly resourced company such as Apple, I make it known, just like I applaud them when something great is made available. I can both like and dislike aspects of Apple. I dislike iPhone 6/6s because it is a product that has many compromises built into the design from the exterior into the interior. But I support Tim Cook because under his leadership aspects of Apple have been great even though other aspects have been poor. I base my discussions on the merits of the items being discussed, I'm not an Apple fan boy but I'm not an Apple hater either. My comments are more nuanced than that.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I dislike the repetitions that result from careless openings of topics.
I do think that it's reasonable to repeatedly change one's mind about some things, or to change degrees of expression of emotion about one's mind(s).
That's an OK way to be.

"Quietly" - figuratively. (I.e. would love to see enthusiasm not solely in case of AW bands).
...he's very animated and vocal on certain social and political issues. I think he should spend more of his energies focusing on Apple's core pillars...
You have formulated the main idea. I share your view fully.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… he's very animated and vocal on certain social and political issues. …

I haven't noticed, but that's almost certainly because I don't closely follow those issues. Thanks.

"Quietly" - figuratively. (I.e. would love to see enthusiasm not solely in case of AW bands).

Again, thanks and I'll take your word for it because I have no recollection of hearing him speak about watch straps. If I did listen to the Watch launch event, it was unmemorable. I read that stateside interview a few days ago (the one with a couple of minutes of him recorded, greyscale video) and that's about it. Maybe the only time that I have paid attention this year.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
Simply, Tim Cook gets Apple at its core. Tim understands the qualities that the Apple company is all about. Tim was there at the beginning of Apple's resurrection in the late 1990s. But, more subtly, it was a short but important and instinctive reaction to a question about why Apple didn't include 'Intel Inside' stickers on its products at a question and answer session on the new aluminium iMac in 2007. Tim Cook's reaction so very clearly describes what Apple is and what Apple isn't about. This gives me confidence Tim will learn from some issues of recent history related to pricing and design values and guide Apple shortly to new successes into the future and revive the original core of Apple's loyal but sometimes despairing customer base.

From 0:36

Maybe you like the watch bands a lot

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Apple has some problems, sure, and I'll point them out as I see it, but Tim Cook is the right CEO for Apple long term.

I'm not sure I agree. Tim Cook seemed to be the "right" person to immediately succeed Steve Jobs, and he did manage Apple by preventing Apple from imploding right after the death of Dear Leader. So what I am saying is that he was the "right" man for a transitional post-Jobs Apple.

The transitional (mourning) period is pretty much over.

But Tim Cook as a long term visionary leader? That's another story.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I think this thread is in response to the almost never ending Cook bashing on the main page.
The main point: the op posted a video of Tim sitting and smirking. Now, if his smirking is indicating something...who can say? Tim himself would be the one who knows.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
My only concern with Tim is that he only knows how to play it safe - in terms of what Apple are doing right now, there's nothing that leads me to believe they're willing to take any real risks.
The Apple Watch wasn't a safe bet at all. I think it was a risky bet….. and it might still turn out to be a bad bet. We might discern its long term success after a couple more years.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think this thread is in response to the almost never ending Cook bashing on the main page.
My original contention was that you cannot make a determination that sitting quietly next to Steve Jobs in that video is sufficient evidence to state that Cook fully understands what makes Apple special and has a full grasp of Apple's core values.

There was a whole subtext of the OP's prior threads bashing many Apple products which is difficult to reconcile with the fact those very products were a result of the Cook's leadership and decisions.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The main point: the op posted a video of Tim sitting and smirking. Now, if his smirking is indicating something...who can say? Tim himself would be the one who knows.

My original contention was that you cannot make a determination that sitting quietly next to Steve Jobs in that video is sufficient evidence to state that Cook fully understands what makes Apple special and has a full grasp of Apple's core values.

There was a whole subtext of the OP's prior threads bashing many Apple products which is difficult to reconcile with the fact those very products were a result of the Cook's leadership and decisions.

I'm not arguing with either of you..All I said was I think that this thread justified with the evidence provided or not is a reaction to all the Cook bashing on the main page justified or not.

Reactions: pat500000

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Maybe you like the watch bands a lot
So you would prefer an Apple watch with one band or maybe two bands? The point of a watch is to provide enough customisation to make it appealing and personal to the person wearing it.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016

Please see my justification earlier to help reconcile the comments https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/why-i-have-confidence-in-tim-cook.1987998/page-2#post-23244454

Tim has a great understanding of why Apple is special, he has been there since 1998.

My greatest issue, in light of no real reason for Tim to go, if Tim were to be replaced, I think we would see Apple become destabilised -- that would be worse than any little complaint I or others might have.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw that post, but given the tone, content and veracity of how you criticize apple, its hard to think you're not flip flopping and contradicting yourself quite a bit.

Tim has a great understanding of why Apple is special, he has been there since 1998.
He may have an understanding of Apple and he may not. My point is that you communicated that you came to this realization based on a 4 minute video in which he sat there without uttering a word. To be honest, coming to any realization of someone's grasp of any topic of just sitting there is preposterous.

This is why instructors grade students on how well they interact in class (either verbally or in written form) and they cannot come to a determination that a student understand the material without feedback from that student. Like wise we have Cook who just sits there, but you propose based on that video you realize he gets all of apple's magical qualities.

Plus in prior posts you try to justify your position by saying issues that you have with Apple are not Cook's fault or decisions. But they are, as he's in charge of Apple, don't you think he's the one to give final approval of making a phone thinner, or selling a MBP with a haswell chipset in 2016? You cannot praise him for all the good Apple has done, and not consider him responsible for the mis-steps Apple has also done.

My greatest issue, in light of no real reason for Tim to go, if Tim were to be replaced, I think we would see Apple become destabilised -- that would be worse than any little complaint I or others might have.
I agree to a point, his performance has been steady, but many people expect more from apple, not just more of the same.

Wall street would definitely react negatively, but if they had someone in mind to bring Apple to the next level, it could actually be better. Take Microsoft - Ballmer didn't do a horrible job as CEO, though he was a buffoon in many people's eyes (and he made some significant missteps such as buying Nokia), yet under Nadella MS has improved and flousihed significantly. While Apple is a different company and facing different issues, I use MS to illustrate that changing of a CEO is not always a bad thing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.