Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone? (Atm)
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me it really makes the experience detrimental

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro (I had to because of some stuff i was doing, nonetheless, i needed to do it) I knew before that these products have different ports but anyway i bought it regardless. In the end, i could not connect it of course and started thinking.

It is a bad experience that you cannot connect the most expensive smartphone and computer natively between them, from the same company. I ended grabbing an android usbc smartphone for the moment.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
So you like both products but because you are missing an adapter or cable you decide to ditch the phone? That’s one person with a strong resolve, probably a touch too drastic for me.

Enjoy your Android phone then!

lostOzone

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2017
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. I never commented or participated here, but i had recently a bad user experience which let me create the account and share it with you. I hope to be more engaged from now on, on the community :)

Why I left the iPhone?
Really simple and straight to the point issue. I bought the latest macbook pro 2019 (after having the 2015 for a while). I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good, i really like the macbook, nice peace of tech, keyboard for me is better than the old one (Unless it brakes haha). iPhone? Great again, some things i don't like, some things i do, as any normal personal.

What happened then? A really small and stupid issue, however, is in my opinion one thing i cannot let pass. Apple has made some really weird decisions and i will guess that the problem is that the leader, is not a product person, so he does not care.

I had to connect urgently my iPhone to the macbook pro to restore it because i had a bug where the touchscreen wasn't working. I use my iPhone for work, so i depend on it a lot. Of course i remembered that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and had to go to a friends home at night to ask for his help, the day after, i bought the expensive adaptor apple sells.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful for the users that maintain this company alive (with our money), that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them. I felt that i was using two products from a startup company with 10 year old kids deciding how to make products. This grotesque user experience moment made me realize that i should stop supporting apple in some way. Yes, they will continue to have millions of dollars, and people will still buy them products, and i don't care. I just wanted to express my experience.

What now? I bought a cheap Android one Xiaomi mi A2 for U$S 150. Yes, U$S 150 dollars which works great for the cost, and it runs super fast (really surprised at that), and guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook. I just laugh at this, is incredible but well. I always recommend Apple products to friends and people i know, and defend it too, but this time i have to be objective about this and be sincere.

Thanks for reading guys! And if i misspelled something, let it pass cause English is not even my second language.
Have a great week all of you :)

Why did you decide the iPhone was the problem? The iPhone uses a proprietary cable since day one. I think the problem is with the MacBook. It should be sold with at least one or two USB-C to USB-A dongles.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I guess I’m just simple and maybe too laid back, but to purchase an inexpensive adapter to continue using products I love is much easier on my soul than letting something so trivial bother me to the point of resorting to a $150 purchase of a crap phone just to give an f-u to Apple. To each their own, but I wouldn’t bat an eye at that type of thing.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Actually, most people at the time they are purchasing a new MBP with its USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, also take into consideration what they will need to plug into the machine and if they have peripherals and other devices which will require either a different cable or an adapter, they buy those right away, too. Common sense, really.....

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
So instead of buying the right cable for $19, you paid $150 for a new phone. And on top of that, you created an account to brag about your good judgement?

Yes I did.

Last edited:

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
It was an obvious thing that a lot of you would not get the concept of the problem. Of course I could have bought the cable, but that is not the issue I was trying to explain. I am glad I am not so blind and fanboy as you. I hope you find a better life being this negative ;)

From where I sit, you’re the negative one. You come to an iPhone forum to complain about the iPhone not being perfect enough for you. Fine. You had your say. Now go away, Mr Negative.

You remind me of those nitwits who abandoned Apple when it was revealed that the were collecting certain data from their users. They were outraged and fled in droves to the company which has made its fortune from gathering user data. Enjoy your outrage. I hear Costco sells Pepto-Bismol by the case.

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
From where I sit, you’re the negative one. You come to an iPhone forum to complain about the iPhone not being perfect enough for you. Fine. You had your say. Now go away, Mr Negative.

You remind me of those nitwits who abandoned Apple when it was revealed that the were collecting certain data from their users. They were outraged and fled in droves to the company which has made its fortune from gathering user data. Enjoy your outrage. I hear Costco sells Pepto-Bismol by the case.

No. I used Apple products for a long time. Isn't a forum supposed to freely talk about experiences? I am not negative, I am describing a real issue, which lot of religious people here defend. If Apple put a USB c onto the iPhone I would continue using it. This is why the majority of people think that Apple users are blind.

One sincere question besides the discussion, is anything you dislike about apple?

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Interesting. I don't remember ever being a "native connection" between the Mac and the iPhone. It was always some sort of USB port to some Apple proprietary port. Now, I suppose where your frustration perhaps holds water is that Apple still decided to keep the iPhone charging cable on USB-A instead of moving it to USB-C. Having said that, it's a tough decision to make, given the fact that there are still more Macs out there with USB-A than USB-C, as people tend to replace their phones more often than their Macs. I suppose you could argue that for the money, Apple could provide an extra adaptor or cable, but I suspect you'd end up with a lot of unused adaptors and cables that way (which is a waste and not great for the planet). It's a transitionary period, it happened before, it will happen again. I think you overreacted. ;)

Remrod

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Hi guys!
I've made a new account today but i've been on the forums around 8 years. Just to comment my point of view.

Why I left the iPhone?
I bought the latest macbook pro 2019. I also bought an iPhone xs Max. Everything good but one thing.

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning)

Thanks for reading.

Your decision raises so many questions! Like one is: why did you shell out so many dollars in the first place (1300$ phone) when a basic cheap android phone can cover your needs? I doubt you‘ll stay long enough eith that el cheapo phone and shell out more money (for perhaps a more expensive android). In anyway an already a big and rich company will get your dollars!

The Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2019
Your decision raises so many questions! Like one is: why did you shell out so many dollars in the first place (1300$ phone) when a basic cheap android phone can cover your needs? I doubt you‘ll stay long enough eith that el cheapo phone and shell out more money (for perhaps a more expensive android). In anyway an already a big and rich company will get your dollars!

I bought it in the meantime.
[doublepost=1563472289][/doublepost]
Interesting. I don't remember ever being a "native connection" between the Mac and the iPhone. It was always some sort of USB port to some Apple proprietary port. Now, I suppose where your frustration perhaps holds water is that Apple still decided to keep the iPhone charging cable on USB-A instead of moving it to USB-C. Having said that, it's a tough decision to make, given the fact that there are still more Macs out there with USB-A than USB-C, as people tend to replace their phones more often than their Macs. I suppose you could argue that for the money, Apple could provide an extra adaptor or cable, but I suspect you'd end up with a lot of unused adaptors and cables that way (which is a waste and not great for the planet). It's a transitionary period, it happened before, it will happen again. I think you overreacted. ;)

Maybe I did. I am impulsive but I was angry at the situation. Maybe because I think apple is getting too expensive for the value. But I accept your criticism.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
I bought it in the meantime. I am seeing to buy a one plus or pixel.
[doublepost=1563472289][/doublepost]

Maybe I did. I am impulsive but I was angry at the situation. Maybe because I think apple is getting too expensive for the value. But I accept your criticism.

Value is relative and personal. Cost is also relative and personal, so if for you, personally this experience resulted in reassessing what the cost-value benefit is, then I've nothing to criticise. Having said that my assessment resulted in a slightly different outcome. I own an XS now, but used to own a 6S. After 4 years of normal use, I sold it and still got 33% of its original cost for it, which I then used towards getting the XS. Getting the XS also resulted in selling one of my cameras which became obsolete given the quality of pictures the XS takes. That covered another 25% of the XS' cost. So one of the things I value in an iPhone is its resale value years later. I also value privacy. Having a phone that is basically Google's spyware in every possible way just doesn't sit well with me. Apple aren't 100% innocent either, but for the time being, I trust them more than Google.

RickGrimes

Suspended
Mar 9, 2019
Read the whole post. I find it grotesque and sinister that you use such grandiose words for such a minor and easily solved non issue.

I only care that your leaving iPhone enough, to make my statement.

TallRed

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2018
The Left Coast
No. I used Apple products for a long time. Isn't a forum supposed to freely talk about experiences? I am not negative, I am describing a real issue, which lot of religious people here defend. If Apple put a USB c onto the iPhone I would continue using it. This is why the majority of people think that Apple users are blind.
In the first place, that didn’t make a lot of sense to me. In the second place, you’re using “a lot of religious people” and “the majority of people” to add a cachet of respectability to your opinion. Thirdly, by injecting “religious people” into the conversation, are you saying that Apple or Android is a religion? And lastly, “Apple users are blind” is just a weird thing to say. I can see quite well.

One sincere question besides the discussion, is anything you dislike about apple?

I wasn’t too crazy about their corporate decision to remove the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. I use my phone as a tuner but now I can’t. Plus, the battery case I use has no pass through for the audio signal. I bought an iPod touch which solved the problem. Expensive fix. I don’t use Bluetooth much because I find it’s hard on my battery.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hi guys!

Why I left the iPhone?

What happened then? A really small issue, however, for me is grotesque.

I had to connect my iPhone to the macbook pro. I knew that these products have different ports. So i could not connect it, and for me is a bad user experience.

When i realized how sinister was the issue, i decided to sell the iPhone. It is disrespectful in my opinion that the latest U$S 1.300 smartphone, with the latest U$S 3.000 macbook, cannot connect natively between them.

What now? I sold the iPhone and bought a cheap Android one phone in the meantime. And guess what? This phone cable can connect natively to the macbook.

I know i could have bought the USB c cable, but is not the concept I am trying to explain. Is the fact that two expensive products from the same company cannot be connected natively. And all because of the milking strategy of Apple about they licensed cables (Lightning). Come at me!

Thanks for reading
I understand your overall point and agree, but a couple of questions:

At the time of purchase, did an Apple employee also recommend the cable?

And, if you “knew that these products have different ports”, why did you carry on with the purchase?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.