Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2016
I've been using a Macbook Pro 13 inch Late 2011 since 2011 as a daily driver for my online business. Now is the time I actually want to upgrade my Macbook because the integrated Intel HD 3000 can't keep up anymore with current graphical needs, so my Macbook slows down and gets very hot.

After looking at the current Apple lineup I couldn't find a single mac I would like to own. The only mac I would like to own is a 15 inch Retina Macbook Pro from 2015. But I will not pay 2000€ for an almost 2 year old Laptop with 4 year old Hardware and integrated graphics.

The new Macbook ist not a bad device it's just not what I want a laptop to be like.

I've always liked that OS X came with a lot of good software. But it seems like every new update reduces the functionality of their softwares. So recently I've almost stopped completely using apple software and switched to third party (which are also available on Windows)

It seems like the only decision apple has made recently that I agree with is to not build touchscreen Macs.

Another thing is the only reason I'm using iOS devices is because I use Macs. And recently even though cook has said they are not abandoning the mac they are no longer really putting work into it. And I've experienced how annoying it is to have to be dependent on one company who's vision for computing is so different from your own.

So for now I'm using my custom build Windows 7 PC even though I would say OS X is still better in design and ease of use, but those aspects are not important to me.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Never really been without Windows, however the Mac & OS X was always my weapon of choice professionally. That said the desktop OS has steadily become less stable, few if any improvements to productivity, with arguably reduced readability. The desktop computing line a poor excuse. New MacBook Pro is far from being a bad notebook, equally of little use for my professional needs for multiple reasons.

I decided sometime ago not have all my eggs in the one basket, which has paid dividends as moving all business related systems to windows has been relatively painless. Apple was once an industry leader, however has now moved to a reactionary organisation sending mixed messages, in many respects completely misjudging a significant number of it's professional customers needs.

Likely going against the flow, personally I like the application of Pen & Touch, I agree it's not useful on the likes of a typical clamshell notebook, however when paired with a competent 2 in 1 the dynamic very much changes. Software is now making the 2 in 1's ever more useful and versatile adding new layers to productivity.

My own opinion of Apple is they are overly focussed on IOS devices as they are cheaper to bring to market with higher margins. I want the provider of my computing solutions to put the computer first and foremost, not drop it and pick it up only when press negativity is at a high point. Apple for all it's resources only seems capable of focusing on one product line at one time, reinforcing the potential for Apple to once again disregard the Mac and it's users.

Actions being far louder than words. As of late Apple is just a company that talks, once Apple was silent, delivered and stunned us all, now replaced by a far more dynamic team in Microsoft. Had someone 10 year ago told me I would state this I would have laughed at them, today a fact...

Windows 10 is heading in a good direction, with Microsoft starting to listen to it's customers, same applies to their hardware. Far from perfect, equally Microsoft is not afraid to innovate, bring new product and class of product to market. Since moving the majority of professional need to Windows 10 no regrets to date, if anything the opposite...

Q-6

Last edited:

Nueve

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I'm in the process of switching as well. I'm building a custom PC. i7 7700K, NVDIA 1080 ti, 500 GB M.2 SSD, etc and all that will cost me less than $1,600. I won't purchase another Mac unless Apple makes some radical changes to their Mac lineup.

Reactions: Queen6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
and the awesome new Mac Pro will arrive next year.
Apple did not commit to next year, they only stated that it will not occur in 2017. Seems the concensus is, if you're developing a new design, the lifecycle of that process can be in excess of 24 months. Plus you're looking at the time needed to retool the manufacturing process which takes time. I think 2018 not feasible, unless they trot out the cheese grater Mac Pro (I'm not knocking that notion).

What apple did was try to freeze people from leaving the platform with a promise of an unreleased product, but most people I know who need machines are unwilling to buy the trash can macpro because its using old tech, its price, its non-upgradable and here's a big reason. Apple already stated its discontinuing the product.

Basically Apple's announcement is nothing more then vaporware.

I have no idea what the modular MacPro will be like but I don't need one. My needs are laptops and their current machines do not meet my needs. I think its too little too late for Apple's promises

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Apple already stated its discontinuing the product.

Basically Apple's announcement is nothing more then vaporware.
I missed something somewhere. When did Apple state they are discontinuing the Mac Pro?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I missed something somewhere. When did Apple state they are discontinuing the Mac Pro?
They are replacing the current trash can design that is not upgradeable with a new modular mac pro. Given that information its my opinion that it doesn't make sense to spend > 3k on a computer solution that will be replaced.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
They are replacing the current trash can design that is not upgradeable with a new modular mac pro. Given that information its my opinion that it doesn't make sense to spend > 3k on a computer solution that will be replaced.
I see what you mean now. I thought you were saying the Mac Pro was being discontinued as a model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.