Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
A lot of forum members are rejoicing today; it truly is a moment of relief. Many will finally upgrade their 2009 and even 2015 models. The 2018 revision is a substantial upgrade in many ways: 32 GBs of 'DDR4 RAM' (finally), T2 chip, Hey Siri, Bluetooth 5.0, Core i9, 4 TB SSD option, standard 4 GB video card. What more could you ask for?

Well, the new MacBook Pro feels like scramble to quiet the doubters. If you follow the community here on the forums and on social media, you read the comments. Apple is not innovating anymore; the touchbar is useless; the keyboard is crappy; everyone is doing DDR4 except Apple.

The new MacBook Pro starts to look more like a check box for feeds and speeds. Its not about bringing performance to the table with true value and innovation.

It still does not correct a lot of whats still wrong with this new generation:

- The keyboard is said to be better improved in terms of being quieter but it could potentially still fail. Its possible Apple was working on correcting it for this 3rd gen update, but time was against them, so they had to release what was available. This suggest, the actual improved keyboard will be coming in the June 2019 revision.

- After Phil Schillers insistence on going with LPDDR3 RAM then backtracking by going around it with a larger battery, there will be a potential for impact on battery life. We don't know for sure, but we will likely see the results over the coming months. In 2019, we will see the right type of DDR4 RAM accompanied by Canonlake which will lead to guaranteed performance and improved battery life. Apple might also pull out another surprise, built to order 64 GB configuration.

- Apple is still doing 256 GB of storage on the entry level 15 inch. Maybe, just maybe, Apple will bump this to 512 on the 15 inch model in next years rev.

- We have been on 14 NM process technology since Broadwell; since then, its been only 14+++. The 10 NM technology is coming for sure with Canonlake with guaranteed performance improvements across the board. Wouldn't you rather just jump from that Early 2015 MBP 13 inch with Broadwell to that? You would certainly be seeing more bang for your buck.

- Graphics seems to be at a stand still on the MacBook Pro, its not considered the best of breed. Its possible the work between Intel and AMD will require a little more time to deliver the value Apple needs. This would suggest we will see a more uniform lineup instead of the have and have not configurations we now see on 13 and 15 models.

- Bluetooth 5.0 is the only substantial network upgrade, but Apple is likely to introduce 802.11AD which will promise GB downloads. So, thats something you might want to wait for.

- The default and customized configurations are very expensive, even if you can afford it. I think Apple is using the best, but the best cost a lot. If you want to rollout all of these to a team of videopgraphers, its an expensive investment. The new generation has yet to see an attractive price drop. With 2019 likely to be the last of this generation, I think Apple will for the first time introduce a price drop and or more affordable specs.

- The year 2019 will be the last of this revision before Apple embarks on a redesign. This itself would make it worth the wait. The 2015 was the last revision of the MBP introduced in 2012 and so far it has been a reliable purchase. I think if you want to avoid 2016 all over again, the 2019 would be the best way to save yourself from the disadvantages of early adopter syndrome.

- Knowing that macOS 10.15 will be our first full taste of running iOS optimized apps for Mac, there is likely to be exclusive synergies between the 2019 MBP and 10.15. Yes, upsell, which means, if you want to use whatever new snazzy feature Apple introduces in 10.15 exclusive only to 2019 MBPs, example: Continuity requiring certain model Macs; or Apple Watch used to authenticate on your Mac.

So, those are just some of my thoughts. If you have been running a 2013 or earlier MBP, you will likely find the value out of the 2018 revision, but if you can stretch and squeeze a little more, you might get a way better reward in 2019.

Last edited:

Love Divine

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2014
- Base models are overpriced. I think they should be $200 less.

- Subpar graphics performance - they seem to be pushing external graphics enclosures which themselves are not ideal for many reasons (large, expensive, big performance loss)

- 10nm coming soon

- We need to wait for reviews of the newest keyboard

Of course, there are questions about battery life etc. At this point, waiting until the 2020, or 2021 years when a redesign hits (or the year after that) seem like a good upgrade point for those w/ machines that make it till then.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
I have to disagree, if you've been waiting since 2015 or longer, this is a pretty substantial update. 6 cores, 32 GB of RAM, some other good additions (i.e. T2). I still think its prudent to wait for some reviews (key board, battery life and thermal issues warrant a bit of caution), but that's always true.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
For me it is a personal machine so 16GB is fine. It comes down to screen real estate vs weight trade off in the 13 v 15 debate. With Quad Core 13s, the 13 v 15 CPU difference will be lost on me. And I don’t believe I need the dGPU.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I agree with a lot of what you said but I think that you're hoping for too much for the 2019 MBP. Sure you can wait if you want and can and there will probably be nice upgrades to it but, for example, I doubt very much that you'll see 512gb default SSD + new CPU and GPU + a price drop at the same time.

Reactions: PhilMacbook

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Your argument is poorly thought out as it is largely based on assumptions and subjective opinion(s).

If you had already tried the newly announced model and were unable to adequately perform work or home tasks in a reasonable manner, that would be logical to offer such a post to the contrary. You haven't done that. And for many illogical reasons, you are imploring people to wait another year.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
The argument for waiting for 2018 was VR/AR and 32GB RAM, as well as the newer CPUs. You can't sit there saying that you want to wait another year because now you need 64GB RAM, and even faster CPUs. I feel you're falling into the trap of waiting for expected future hardware rather than using currently available hardware. There will always be faster devices coming next year, there will always be faster devices available now. Buy when you need, but I think you just enjoy the waiting game rather than actually needing anything in particular.

Essentially, if what is available today isn't powerful enough for your needs, then you're using computers wrong, as all the software is designed for computers available today and not years down the road.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Another one I forgot to add, if your current Mac can run macOS Mojave, its like getting a whole new machine already.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Agreed on most of your arguments. I do think 2019 is a worthy wait until an imminent redesign is inbound for 2020. If I purchase one next year, it should be a pretty mature machine and most of the known kinks and quirks should be ironed out by then.

For 2020, there are rumours of virtual smart keyboards, ARM-based macs and hopefully thinner bezels so until my current machine dies, I see no reason to fork out several g right now. I don't like paying the price of being an early adapter so if the redesign happens, I will most likely wait another 3 years until the machine matures and so on.

Reactions: Mr. Dee

Kevinfinity

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2018
Hm... Good points but don’t make sense to me. You see, if we wait until 2019 to get a final version of the current generation, just one year after we will have a total refresh of the MacBook Pro again. This year is a very good timing to buy the new MacBook Pro since it has the 8th generation CPU and 32 ram and so on. I could use this laptop for at least two years from now and patiently wait to see the new generation coming in 2020. Normally people will wait one year after the new generation been released to let Apple gather up the feedback to improve their new design. So after 3 to 4 years of using the current generation machine I could decide to keep using it or just upgrade to the new generation.

Reactions: PhilMacbook

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
I tend to disagree with most of your posts, this one included.

Not saying waiting is a bad decision if you already got the 15/16/17 model though.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Getting either a 512GB SSD in the £2,349 model or that model getting a price cut to ~£2,049 would take some of the sting out of losing an £1,999 base model 15”. I’m not sure we will see that though, it used to be Apple passed on savings as their manufacturing lines bedded in and things got cheaper to acquire and make - doesn’t seem to be the case any more. That money is for the shareholders, not the customers. A shame that Wall St. have their claws so deep into the company these days but it is what it is. The price of success I suppose?

The reasons I will probably wait anyway are more that I want to see if more details about a switch to ARM surface in the coming months, I want to see if they will introduce a consumer 15” model if they’re really gearing the pros towards performance, and the hope that the price might start easing off a little if GBP gets back to its long term range against USD.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I am quite on the opinion to wait out 2019/2020, I think the improvements (due to Intel hopefully getting their act together) will be huge. We may get the layered battery design, 32GB+ LPDDR RAM, FaceID, greatly improved touch bar etc. We could also finally see a 4K screen.

Of course technology always improves, but realistically 2018 is really just a spec bumped 2016 with a keyboard fix. Laptops hopefully have something really exciting coming once cannonlake appears.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
Waiting for 2019....and when it gets here...waiting for 2020...but hey, 2020 new design, so maybe wait for 2021 because the 2020 new design has flaws..and so on...

That's exactly what I was going to say. No way in hell would I buy a first gen Apple product. The sequel is the one to buy every single time. Since Apple is committed to the current design we won't be getting any significant improvements or changes until 2020.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Yu
Oh Jesus really? Every year man, every year... I think you should look elsewhere for your computing needs. Every year it's "Wait for XXXX"...

Yup been waiting 3 years now for the next year big thing lol. I'm still on 2011 MacBook Pro itching to upgrade. But I guess I'm skipping this year to. I was actually really hoping for a bezel less MacBook with faceid. I know it's coming eventually

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
First, let me say that you're making some assumptions, some of which have nothing to back them up, secondly what if you're wrong on the majority of the items presented, will you then wait for 2020? What happens if that machine doesn't suit you? 2021, or 2022? See what I'm getting at.

Now the specifics.

This suggest, the actual improved keyboard will be coming in the June 2019 revision.
There's no proof that apple will improve the keyboard in 2019, in fact people were sure that we'd see an update in 2018 and may not have.

Maybe, just maybe, Apple will bump this to 512 on the 15 inch model in next years rev.
Apple is still selling spinning drives in the iMac, I don't see them moving to 512GB SSD as a default configuration next year.

The 10 NM technology is coming for sure with Canonlake with guaranteed performance improvements
How much of a performance increase, with Coffee Lake and hex core, these machines are blazingly fast and for the majority of consumers its well beyond fast enough. Heck, the 2015 machines are fast enough for most people so these machines are just silly fast.

Graphics seems to be at a stand still on the MacBook Pro,
Yup, and that's always been the case, I remember people complaining about the GPU in PowerMacs and Powerbooks. The more things change, the more they stay the same. 365 days will not change that fact.

The year 2019 will be the last of this revision before Apple embarks on a redesign.
who says? I didn't see anything from apple stating this?

Too summarize, if you need a machine now, and you want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, then the 2018 Mac represents the best laptop out there, if you can work on a windows machine, there are just as good machines for less money out there. YMMV, but its less about the hardware in July 2018 and more about what do you want to work in. The MBP has some questions about the keyboard durability, this update has not answered them, and the GPU is certainly under-performing compared to the competition.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not going to buy until I know the keyboard has no problems.
I was giving my wife a detailed explanation, because she thought I ought to buy the MBP and I said until I know for sure the keyboard won't fail, I'll not buy it. She has a better understanding, though she doesn't think I ought to buy the razer. I was having a few issues with that before returning it. Not defects but usage, for instance the keyboard backlighting does not illuminate the secondary values of the f-keys and numbers, so in a dimly lit room, its harder to see what key to press for certain values. On the plus side, it does have f-keys :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.