Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idarrin96

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Are u a stock broker? Or do u have a lot of money tied up in the market? If not, why the heck would u care about having a stock ticker widget on the home screen??

I just used the stock widget as an example I'm basically just saying I want something on my home screen other than square icons. And with that baing said I'm jail breaking

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Jailbreaking sucks. Sure, change the color of your crappy keyboard.:rolleyes:

I jail broke my 4s, saw how limited it STILL was, then took it back for the gs3.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Hmmm, having a clock, weather and stock display seems pretty boring to me. I use the phone and don't stare at the home page much.

But I get where you are coming from though. However I wouldn't jailbreak to get that. A small group of indie developers aren't going to support you much compared to Apple.

If you've never had it before, you would probably never know its importance.

Although I'm fairly sure that when Apple introduces widgets in the next 3-4 years, you'll be right on board with the rest of the other wagon hopping sheep.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Im so ready to get my ip5 jailbroken. I have never jailbroken my iphone in the past and i have had them all 2g 3g 3gs etc I have never jail broke for the simple fact of voiding my warranty,slower speeds, shorter battery etc but now since I've owned all of the past iPhones I feel bored with the os and its really stale. And with that being said I had to choice to chose from going with the gs3 or jailbreak so I was dead set on going with the android until I saw a cydia tweak called dashboard x. The widgets made me feel like I had the best of both world so I decided to stick with iOS. I'm just writing this article to get others opinion and insight thanks and how do you like the widgets.

dude, practically every app you can get on android that could use a widget has one. How many widgets does a jail broken iphone get?

when i download an app on android and it doesn't have a widget im a bit disappointed. But that's very rare these days :)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
All my iPhones have been jailbroken (even the first generation) and I honestly could not imagine using them without it. The main benefits were facetime over 3G, tethering, and a few other tweeks. Winterboard and themeing in general, I found, introduced a lot more instability and can cause the springboard to crash and go into safemode. Widgets also will naturally drain the battery faster as they are running in the background. You just need to be careful about what you install. Widgets on an iPhone are really meant to work on the lock screen. It is possible to have them on main screens but you just have to do so many tweeks in order to prevent the widget from covering up icons; it becomes a real hassle. Also, a lot of the widgets need to be updated manually. Such as weather widgets need to be programmed where you are. They do not integrate with GPS. You will also find the selection of widgets are extremely limited.

In general, jailbreaking will improve functionality and make the iOS experience better but themeing on iOS is nothing like Android. The learning curve is large and functionality is not nearly as polished. Out of all the mod's theming WILL drain the battery the most. I decided themeing was just not worth it on iOS and my main jailbroken apps were MyWi for tethering, My 3G to prevent the wifi only limitations, Fakeclockup to speed up animations, Sbsettings for easy on/off functions, and a few other ones here and there. Besides that there is not much else that jailbreaking is good for.

I gave my 4S to my father and I am using the S3 now. Sure, there are some things I miss about my iPhone but not enough for me to return to iOS at this point. I have a jailbroken iPad 2 that I enjoy and the S3 is a great phone. I think when JB is released it will be even nicer with Google Now. The iPhone 5 is a great phone but when it comes to customizations and widgets iOS, even jailbroken, does not hold water to the Android OS.

Last edited:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
All my iPhones have been jailbroken (even the first generation) and I honestly could not imagine using them without it. The main benefits were facetime over 3G, tethering, and a few other tweeks. Winterboard and themeing in general, I found, introduced a lot more instability and can cause the springboard to crash and go into safemode. Widgets also will naturally drain the battery faster as they are running in the background. You just need to be careful about what you install. Widgets on an iPhone are really meant to work on the lock screen. It is possible to have them on main screens but you just have to do so many tweeks in order to prevent the widget from covering up icons; it becomes a real hassle. Also, a lot of the widgets need to be updated manually. Such as weather widgets.

In general, jailbreaking will improve functionality and make the iOS experience better but themeing on iOS is nothing like Android. The learning curve is large and functionality is not nearly as polished. Out of all the mod's theming WILL drain the battery the most. I decided themeing was just not worth it on iOS and my main apps were MyWi for tethering, My 3G to prevent the wifi only limitations, fakeclockup to speed up animations, sbsettings for easy on/off functions, and a few other ones here and there.

This is exactly why I took the 4s back. I really truly wanted to like it. It looks so nice and felt so nice! It worked great too, but BOY did it lose its appeal fast. I promised myself id wait, jailbreak, and see how close I could get it to look like android...After I saw how basic jailbreaking was compared to rooting, I sadly traded for the gs3. Man alive do I wish the iphone could be different! The build quality is ART! The substance (iOS) though, is trivial. Im far too complex to be happy with so little.

If only android would start making premium stuff to go with premium android! They would dominate APPLE. :eek:

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
So you want your iPhone to do what the SIII does natively and you have to jailbreak it to do it? I can put a Cobra badge on a V6 Mustang, still won't make it a Cobra :)

And android users flash new roms and root their devices why? To do something that it doesn't do natively. So essentially the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.