Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Well since there’s already plenty of threads about why some are returning the iPad mini. I wantedto make a thread about why I’m keeping mine.

And yes, mine does exhibit a jelly affect. But honestly unless I’m looking for it I can’t see it as much , but it is there. For me the usability and portability of this tablet cannot be duplicated with anything in the Apple library. This thing is super quick thanks to having the same processor as the iPhone 13 and things just move snappy. I also like the fact that it has 5G in it which the air and the regular iPad do not support.

Another deciding factor for me is that my carrier Verizon is offering a $200 Verizon card when you sign up for the data plan. Also I’m a educator so I got a $50 off when I first bought it as well. I definitely understand A lot of you guys concern, but for me I’ll deal with it for the extra features, like center stage and portability that I’m getting.

But Just for reference I do also have an iPad Air that I will use primarily while on the couch or in bed when watching YouTube videos or movies.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Just out of curiosity, you didn't have an iPad Mini 5 already, yeah?

It sounds like you're discovering and enjoying the wonderful "mini" form factor for the first time.
I'm not surprised you love it! It's an amazing and very useful form factor -- wonderful complement to other devices.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I'm keeping it because Jelly is my middle name. The only thing it lacks is MagSafe charging. I wanted to use my HD-58X headphones while charging.

Reactions: Sikh

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm keeping it because Jelly is my middle name. The only thing it lacks is MagSafe charging. I wanted to use my HD-58X headphones while charging.

Reactions: Yr Blues

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I’m keeping mine. I’ve had Mini 1,2 and 4 before and are familiar with the size. My Mini will complement my 12.9 Pro for those times when I want to read a iBook or just want to travel light. The benefits of 8.3” screen, Pencil 2 and A15 outweigh the jelly to me.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
The benefits of 8.3” screen

Have we figured how much more screen size is actually there?

Apple is quick to point out on the iPad comparison page footnotes that the full 8.3” isn’t usable for content, presumably due to the rounded corners.

The “larger screen” is turning out to mostly just be a slightly different aspect ratio as opposed to meaningfully any larger in terms of usable on screen space.

Frustrating that Apple advertises 8.3” but than uses a footnote to clarify that the full 8.3” isn’t actually available.

Reactions: Tunji99

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009

Apple is quick to point out on the iPad comparison page footnotes that the full 8.3” isn’t usable for content, presumably due to the rounded corners.

The “larger screen” is turning out to mostly just be a slightly different aspect ratio as opposed to meaningfully any larger in terms of usable on screen space.

Frustrating that Apple advertises 8.3” but than uses a footnote to clarify that the full 8.3” isn’t actually available.
Well, I guess the same goes for the iPad Pro 11” and 12.9” screen as they also have rounded corners. However, it doesn’t matter to me as the Mini 6 screen is larger (or longer) than older Mini’s in portrait mode which is the way I most use it. Larger screen at a smaller form factor is a win-win in my book ?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Depends on content. It's a better fit for modern comics than the old 3:4 AR.

417190D5-6C7C-417C-8B7C-005FEF9AC9C5.jpeg

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Another +1 for keeping my mini 6! I’ve had every iPad/Pro/mini variant, and while I’ve been told that my mini 6 does have the ‘jelly effect’, I don’t see it—landscape or portrait. I’ve compared this to my mini 5 which I still have, and the 6, to me, is a much better experience re: scrolling, and side-by-side with the 5, the 6 is much brighter on the same settings, the text seems a little sharper on the 6, my Wi-Fi speeds are much improved and center stage is a very nice addition. Touch ID works very well and I’ve not had any mis-fires with fingerprint recognition. I really like the mini 6 so far and have no complaints.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
Just out of curiosity, you didn't have an iPad Mini 5 already, yeah?

It sounds like you're discovering and enjoying the wonderful "mini" form factor for the first time.
I'm not surprised you love it! It's an amazing and very useful form factor -- wonderful complement to other devices.

No I have never owned a mini before. I initially thought the screen was to Small but after using it for a bit I love it. But I also love my air as well but it does gett tiring trying to hold it just doing simple browsing.

Cyberguycpt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
It's hilarious that this device is so terrible that people make threads to announce that they aren't returning the device lol

Not at all, just like people are so quick to post they are returning it, I wanted to show it some love since I like it so much. But I get it most people only write reviews when they are dissatisfied. I’m not one of those people.

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
Every time Apple releases a new form factor for an existing device, there’s always a huge swath of people that return devices for some reason or another (my hunch is that too many people make impulse purchases for some thing they don’t need and then try to find excuses to return them). Look back a few years and see how controversial the 11 and 12.9 inch iPad Pro‘s were when they were released. Countless threads on people complaining about form factor and preferring the old device over the new one. Fast forward to present day and see if any of those complaints still exist

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Every time Apple releases a new form factor for an existing device, there’s always a huge swath of people that return devices for some reason or another

I haven't seen anyone reporting returns due to this form factor change, have you?
All of it seems related to the screen

Form factor comments all seem pretty positive actually, no?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Every time Apple releases a new form factor for an existing device, there’s always a huge swath of people that return devices for some reason or another (my hunch is that too many people make impulse purchases for some thing they don’t need and then try to find excuses to return them). Look back a few years and see how controversial the 11 and 12.9 inch iPad Pro‘s were when they were released. Countless threads on people complaining about form factor and preferring the old device over the new one. Fast forward to present day and see if any of those complaints still exist
I remember when the very first iPad came out and a lot of people were mocking it and calling it “it’s just a giant iPhone“. ?

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
For me, Ipad mini 6 is one of the best product Apple has released in last 10 years. Of course oled/face ID/promotion would have been perfect but then the cost…

I have had mini 2, 4, 5 and now the 6th generation. Although the change to retina display in gen 2 was really significant, this is by far the most revolutionary release. It’s a joy to use and yes I have an iphone Max size too. Magnificent product!

RossMacca

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I’m keeping mine. It’s an absolute joy to use in so many situations. I had the iPad mini 2 and always sort of wish I’d stuck with the mini line.

I’ve sold my iPad Pro 10.5 inch because it was that awkward size where I’d almost always just prefer to use my MacBook Pro for large screen. The iPad mini actually feels like a niche tablet that isn’t trying to be my main computer.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I’ve had many ipads including the mini 2 and loved it! I cant wait to get my mini 6 in the mail!

I used the mini the most bc of its portability. I’ve always kept my iPad Pro at home so I’m looking forward to having an iPad i can now take anywhere!

aacemyan

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
TX
I haven't seen anyone reporting returns due to this form factor change, have you?
All of it seems related to the screen

Form factor comments all seem pretty positive actually, no?
Most recent relevant example is the 12.9 inch iPad Pro mini LED screen (A device I also own). Everyone was going bonkers over blooming in dark environments and returning them in masses. It bothered me for about two weeks and now I don’t even notice it anymore. Reality is if you nitpick enough, every device has its flaws. You just need to learn to live with once you are OK with.

I think generally people are very spoiled by how good and flawless iPhones as devices have become. I have a 13 Pro and I’d be pretty hard-pressed to see if anyone had legitimate deficiencies they can spot any device of that caliper and fit/finish. It’s a device that you know Apple hasn’t skimped on in any fashion whatsoever due to the sheer amount they produce. iPads in general tend to be built around a certain price point – probably the reason why even the 12.9 iPad Pro doesn’t have 120 Hz OLED screen with 1600 nits of brightness. A device like that would’ve cost $2000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.