Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
For some odd reason, I really want the Apple Pencil. I keep searching high and low for it. The problem is I don't know what I'd use it for. I don't draw. Yet, I still want one really bad even tough it'll probably just sit unused. Anyone else have the same issue?

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
Tell you what, it is wonderful if you take notes. My engineering/architectural lettering looks exactly like it does on a sheet of paper using soft lead. Love it on that accord. I hope they make it available for the next iPad air. I have a mini 4, and as you know, it won't even pair with any other platform other than the Pro.

Best writing device I've used, worth it just for that IMHO. Make the Paper 53 Pencil feel like a child's crayon.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For some odd reason, I really want the Apple Pencil. I keep searching high and low for it. The problem is I don't know what I'd use it for. I don't draw. Yet, I still want one really bad even tough it'll probably just sit unused. Anyone else have the same issue?
I use it for taking notes at work, filling out & signing PDFs or other scanned documents... things like that. Very handy. May not use it daily, but often enough that I don't feel like it's wasted money.

Adamj53

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2014
I am the same as you. Got mine late last week not had a real play with it yet but it seems good. If you get it from Apple you have the extended return period so you can allways return it if you don't like or use it.

aw3524

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2015
Like others said, if you take occasional notes you'll love using it -- but if you don't plan on doing that and don't draw, there's not much point in having one.

SuperHamster

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2015
Cambridge
For some odd reason, I really want the Apple Pencil.
img_8730.jpg

They are super tasty :D

Reactions: Ledgem and mrex

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015

its actually really cool to navigate with - I have not connected it to a virtual desktop yet, but I imagine when done the pencil will also be very useful for pressing menus and things too small for the finger.

That said, I bought it for drawing and art, I don't think I'd buy it just as a narrower pointer

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I was able to order one through Best Buy. It should be delivered Weds. Hopefully I will find it useful

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Guessing you can't use it to scroll websites and writing poets here for example?
You actually can. There's an app called Writepad that has a keyboard extension that converts handwriting to text. I am using it to write this post :) It works pretty well, to be honest. Not optimized for the iPad Pro or Pencil yet, but it still works.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I believe the keyboard is almost a necessity with the iPad pro...only reason I will get the pencil is for note taking in grad school....otherwise that's my only limited use for it. ..but I love the keyboard and use it all the time

DJLAXL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
UT
Wanted one badly, got one from BB, was ecstatic and happy, posted a pic for all to envy on social media, drew for a bit, started to hate it, sold it last night. I had no use for it, and it was a pain to carry around. Not a necessity right now. Until more carry options and features come along, its just a stylus. The iPad itself is losing its wow on me as well, same as the Watch. Oh well...

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Best writing device I've used, worth it just for that IMHO. Make the Paper 53 Pencil feel like a child's crayon.

ipp: writing for sure (a-pen has its benefits in the built-in tech), but not for other stuff. apple pencil dont compete with fiftythree pencil at all. the Pencil 53 (walnut) feels great, quite surprisingly ergonomic and works great with the Paper app. it hasnt been done for writing in the first place. when doing something else than writing, i would pick up the Pencil 53 before a-pen.

and btw, you are compairing 3rd party manufacturers bt stylus to the tech supported stylus made by apple itself. ps. try to use a-pen with any other ipad or iphone ;-D

Last edited:

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
ipp: writing for sure (a-pen has its benefits in the built-in tech), but not for other stuff. apple pencil dont compete with fiftythree pencil at all. the Pencil 53 (walnut) feels great, quite surprisingly ergonomic and works great with the Paper app. it hasnt been done for writing in the first place. when doing something else than writing, i would pick up the Pencil 53 before a-pen.

and btw, you are compairing 3rd party manufacturers bt stylus to the tech supported stylus made by apple itself. ps. try to use a-pen with any other ipad or iphone ;-D
I cannot relate to this. There's no comparison between the 53 pencil and the Apple pencil. For a capacitative stylus the 53 is very good - but it's still a big, squishy rubber tip and is far less versatile than the Apple pencil in every regard except the eraser on the top.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I cannot relate to this. There's no comparison between the 53 pencil and the Apple pencil. For a capacitative stylus the 53 is very good - but it's still a big, squishy rubber tip and is far less versatile than the Apple pencil in every regard except the eraser on the top.
Yes no question the Apple pencil is better. I have since received the Apple pencil. While I haven't used it a lot, I can see how versatile it is. On the flip side I actually purchased a Pencil 53 for my wife's iPad Air 2. While it is very good in its own right, it doesn't even compare to the apple pencil. The squishy tip in particular. Very hard to write legibly with

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
I use it for taking notes at work, filling out & signing PDFs or other scanned documents... things like that. Very handy. May not use it daily, but often enough that I don't feel like it's wasted money.

As the owner of an insurance brokerage, I didn't even think about being able to sign PDF's or electronic applications (which I do all day long). This is HUGE. I'm so stoked that somewhere in Foxxconn and pencil is being made and eventually will find a path to my house.

Reactions: artfossil

SoCalAppleWatch

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Yes no question the Apple pencil is better. I have since received the Apple pencil. While I haven't used it a lot, I can see how versatile it is. On the flip side I actually purchased a Pencil 53 for my wife's iPad Air 2. While it is very good in its own right, it doesn't even compare to the apple pencil. The squishy tip in particular. Very hard to write legibly with

Well the Pencil 53/Air is literally half the speed in terms of recognition, and MUCH less accurate for small strokes and movements. If there was a chart, that combination wouldn't even be visible compared to the iPad pro/pencil. But it works fine for broad strokes and stuff. Try a regular sized handwriting comparison, it's freaking insane what Apple created. Out of left field too - I never thought they'd make a very specialized item like this and I'm so excited for the future now. This device opens up so many opportunities.

Reactions: artfossil

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
As stylus!! I wish it worked for the other ipads :(
It doesn't because the screen on the iPad Pro is different. Hopefully, the other iPads will be updated in due course. It has to do with sensors on the screen and the refresh rate when the pen is in proximity.

I tried a Surface Pro 4 with its stylus and it wasn't even close.

A true test is simple handwriting. My lettering looks exactly the same as it does on a piece of paper with a mechanical pencil on the iPad Pro. The other test is start a line, remove the pencil and come back and continue the line. The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil are as accurate as a pencil. The Paper 53 isn't close, nor is the surface, although the software in the Surface tends to use a visible cursor like a Wacom Tablet does. Still, the iPad pro is far, far superior.

Awesome piece of technology for an innocuous piece of gear.

dianestory2

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
It's kinda like you just want to buy it to have it. Kinda like what I do with my ipad pro ha.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I decided to get the Pencil and I use the iPP and pencil for personal use only. My iPP, like my old iPad2 was, is really my go-to-first device at home.

I recently downloaded the Penultimate free app last week and have been spending some time with testing it out. It does work with the Pencil's pressure sensitivity. Thought I'd mention how I'm using the Pencil With that productivity app. So far liking it OK to take notes. Very natural. It does have a limited pallete of pencil and marker tools of several sizes which are fine for that purpose. I've also been using the app to diagram some layouts for projects I have typically put on paper. Comes with a varied selection of paper designs, including graph paper. This app lets you import photos and resize them. I like being able to write on the photos. You can import photos and trace off of them and delete the photo, leaving your design behind. This app version let's you output your notes in several ways, and exports them as a .pdf, and you can also grab a screen shot of it to your photo album. The app is now part of Evernote so if you purchase that you can extend what you can do with it. Pretty good free app for non-artists to use to help them get acquainted with their Pencil. Check out the Settings area for usage help.

Since I'd like to do some sketching, I'm planning on looking for a more advanced drawing app. Not a vast number of apps yet but that's not surprising given the complexity of the iPP and Pencil. I don't think I'm going to regret buying it at all but your usage will be different.

If I have the pencil in hand, I do find it comfortable to use in general on the iPP navigating around the screens. I find it to be a very comfortable instrument to hold and like the immediate response from it.

Last edited:

bluermlou

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
I figured at first I was just going to use it for note taking as I'm not really the type of person that draws. Then I started using it also as:

A stylus, both for general use and for Remote Access while using Citrix Reciever
Photo Editing with Pixelmator

Between all three of these daily tasks, I'm now pretty much using it almost all the time now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.