Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einzielle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Please someone help me I bought a new hard drive and trying to reinstall my mac os x using internet recovery to escape logging in my apple id since i forgot mine and yet when i try to use internet recovery and try to reinstall my mac os x its still need to log in my apple id i read some thread that you can install mac os using internet recovery without signing in your apple id please help me

Heres the step i did

Step 1: power button and hold command+option+r wait for the spinning globe after that I connect to the internet i use wifi connection WPA2 Personal
Step 2: I create HDD using format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Step 3: I go to reinstall mac os x when i click install signing in apple id is showing its show in the picture

As i read many thread using internet recovery does not need to sign in apple id when reinstalling mac os why mine is like this I dont know what to do now please someone help me

Attachments

• IMG_7512.JPG
    IMG_7512.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,822

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Internet recovery does require your AppleID, and always has as I recall. The download is coming from the App Store, after all.

If you really don't know your AppleID, visit https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin and click “Forgot Apple ID or password?” then click “Forgot Apple ID?” Enter your first name, last name, and email address, then click Continue.

If that fails for you, you'll need to create a new AppleID.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Using internet recovery to install the factory os x for my mac does not need apple id if im not wrong but when i tried to use that method and try to reinstall my os x its still asking for apple id i read some thread in google that using internet recovery by install os x does not nid to log in your apple id but why mine is still need i dont know
Your Mac is a bit of an odd duck is why it is asking for an AppleID.

You are correct that on newer Macs you can use Internet recovery to get back the factory OS version with no AppleID. But your Mac is on this list, and what happened is it came with Snow Leopard then there was a Lion update that could be obtained with an AppleID, and that update changed the system firmware to allow Internet recovery. So you have a Mac that Internet recovery can only get Lion with an AppleID that was used to purchase Lion because of the way this upgrade was handled by Apple.

Einzielle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Internet recovery does require your AppleID, and always has as I recall. The download is coming from the App Store, after all.

If you really don't know your AppleID, visit https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin and click “Forgot Apple ID or password?” then click “Forgot Apple ID?” Enter your first name, last name, and email address, then click Continue.

If that fails for you, you'll need to create a new AppleID.
I tried to enter a new apple id on
Your Mac is a bit of an odd duck is why it is asking for an AppleID.

You are correct that on newer Macs you can use Internet recovery to get back the factory OS version with no AppleID. But your Mac is on this list, and what happened is it came with Snow Leopard then there was a Lion update that could be obtained with an AppleID, and that update changed the system firmware to allow Internet recovery. So you have a Mac that Internet recovery can only get Lion with an AppleID that was used to purchase Lion because of the way this upgrade was handled by Apple.
i understand now sorry i got no idea regarding this :( it is safe to use bootable usb to install os x?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.