Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UndercoverCroc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
Have recently been wondering, when an SSD is wiped, installing MacOS using internet recovery seems to take up to a couple of hours regardless of download speeds.

However, linking up another mac and DFU restoring a new version of MacOS, presumably the exact same package, is so much quicker, 12 mins or so- why?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This is an entirely uneducated GUESS on my part.

When you do the DFU restore...
- it takes only as long to download the DFU "installer" as your internet connection will support (that is, even a 12gb file may download in a few minutes)...

then...
- The DFU "installer files" might themselves are "pre-configured images" that can be written "en masse" to the target Mac's drive.
That means that all Apple Configurator does is "set up" the internal drive with pre-configured partitions/containers, and then "pours" a single, giant install file into each one, instead of writing tens of thousands of "individual files".

- The high speed of the internal drives (particular on MacBook Pros) makes the "copying process" go quickly.

- Some final configuration and "touch ups", and the install is done.

Or... to put it another way...
There's less "installing", and a good deal more "[only] copying".

Again, this is a complete GUESS and I could be totally wrong.
I welcome correction from those "in the know".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.