Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I partitioned a 256GB thumb drive. 13GB & the remaining. One stores Mojave installation, the other copy of my Music folder. When I finished copying the Music folder which is only 90GB, it appears untouchable or ghosted. Not sure what is correct term. Why did this happen?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 4.05.47 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 4.05.47 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 98

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The folder appears to be invisible?

Does it contain your iTunes library?

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
The folder appears to be invisible?

Does it contain your iTunes library?
Thank you for your help. I will archive your solution. I just erased the partition and reloaded the music files. They appear this time. Have no idea why not the last time.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I don’t know what your problem was, however, folders and files appear that way during a copy and then lose the transparency when the copy is completed. Therefore, my guess is the copy process failed but Finder mistakenly didn’t remove the partial progress as it should. Perhaps even a directory corruption occurred, hence why your reformat would have corrected it. In the future — if such a behavior happens again — I suggest running First Aid in Disk Utility on the affected drive.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I don’t know what your problem was, however, folders and files appear that way during a copy and then lose the transparency when the copy is completed. Therefore, my guess is the copy process failed but Finder mistakenly didn’t remove the partial progress as it should. Perhaps even a directory corruption occurred, hence why your reformat would have corrected it. In the future — if such a behavior happens again — I suggest running First Aid in Disk Utility on the affected drive.
I did. Didn’t change the situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.