Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Like seriously I use my 5 HomePods daily and I’m usually telling them what to play from my phone and selecting where to play and I’d say 80% of the time one, or multiple HomePods never start playing , lock up entirely, or lately, play music out of sync with the others. It gets so annoying that these devices don’t just work. Even the new HomePod full size with it’s newer processor has issues with this

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
I have 2 OGs as a pair and 3 minis connected through a Synology RT6600ax and haven’t had any issues playing from multiple MacBooks Pro, iPhones or iPads Pro. Assuming this isn’t a widespread issue, I wonder if your setup is running into network issues (eg congestion, interference, mesh access point switching, etc).

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
everything else runs pretty good on my Eero network. all my smart home stuff works great these days. but the HomePods are just touch a lot of the times with playing well together

doingitlive

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2011
everything else runs pretty good on my Eero network. all my smart home stuff works great these days. but the HomePods are just touch a lot of the times with playing well together
I had an Eero setup and had the same issue’s with my HomePods and Sonos speakers. After changing to Netgear Orbi 6E mesh I not longer have these issues…

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’m not sure. The bands are merged. I figured most of this stuff defaulted to 2.4z
You can check in the eero app. If you tap on the device, it will say in the “Connection Type” line which band it’s connected to. If you have an eero not too far away, it’s likely on the 5GHz.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
You can check in the eero app. If you tap on the device, it will say in the “Connection Type” line which band it’s connected to. If you have an eero not too far away, it’s likely on the 5GHz.
They all say 5ghz, and they re all very close to the router

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I have similar issues so you're not alone. I often have to reboot my entire set up and have even had to rebuild my apple 'home' from scratch once. I have everything connected to the 5G band, and 'forgot' the 2.5 network, and that solved ALOT of problems, but not all.

Madame Defarge

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Bay Area
Like seriously I use my 5 HomePods daily and I’m usually telling them what to play from my phone and selecting where to play and I’d say 80% of the time one, or multiple HomePods never start playing , lock up entirely, or lately, play music out of sync with the others. It gets so annoying that these devices don’t just work. Even the new HomePod full size with it’s newer processor has issues with this
I'm having similar problems. Lately, my HomePod 2 won't play the music I've chosen on my iPhone. I hope it near the pod and nothing happens. Or, if I tell it what to play, it chooses something else. It's totally annoying to pay $300 for something that used to work well but in a few months is now completely unreliable.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
Glad it isn't just me. I have 5 homepods (4 mini and 1 original homepod) and I have a terrible time getting them all to play at once and and to keep playing once I do. I use an Asus Lyra mesh wifi system.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Wired backhauls work wonders with AirPlay. I know it's not always feasible, but if it is, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
What needs to be wired? Can’t do much with the homepods. Everything else is hardwired
I believe dotme is referring to your mesh network. I can attest to this too. I have a five node eero Pro 6 network all wired via ethernet and my HomeKit/AirPlay setup has never run more smooth. If your mesh network is using wireless means to communicate with each node, it can cause a lot of interference which I experienced. Bit the bullet and had a contractor run Cat6a to every room in my house and it’s been a night and day difference.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I believe dotme is referring to your mesh network. I can attest to this too. I have a five node eero Pro 6 network all wired via ethernet and my HomeKit/AirPlay setup has never run more smooth. If your mesh network is using wireless means to communicate with each node, it can cause a lot of interference which I experienced. Bit the bullet and had a contractor run Cat6a to every room in my house and it’s been a night and day difference.
Ah okay yeah only one of my eeros is wired . The one in the basement is wireless… I could prob just get rid of it. It’s not really necessary but I thought it would help extend things

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Ah okay yeah only one of my eeros is wired . The one in the basement is wireless… I could prob just get rid of it. It’s not really necessary but I thought it would help extend things
Yeah, try just removing it from power first to see what happens. It may make things better.

Before I hardwired all my eeros, my networks ran better with 3 than with 5. After hardwiring, 5 eeros are solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.