Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
!9,1 iMac, macOS 12.6:
So I want to boot into web repair mode. I shut down, then hit Power button and hold Apple+Option+R.
Why do I have to sign into my network router now, never before On Ethernet? Why is the booting process taking so very long once I sign into my network, the process crawls.

I receive the internet through Verizon wireless internet router (WIFI). Is that the cause of the boot repair process being so slow now? Is that the cost of losing my Ethernet connection?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you booting using wifi (no ethernet connection)?

If so, you'll be required to enter your wifi password each time you boot to internet recovery.

And yes -- it DOES take a while for the internet utilities to load. You have to be patient "as the globe spins".

This is dependent on your internet connection and possibly where-in-the-world you are...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Keep in mind that Internet recovery boots through your internet connection, so the speed will depend on the speed of your internet connection. THAT also will be related to the distance to your router.
Routers generally also have a choice to connect with ethernet - which will often be more stable/faster than Wifi.
Do you not have physical access to the router that you are using? (So you could use ethernet rather than wifi?)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you boot to internet recovery through your wifi, the network login is stored in NVRAM.
So, the next time you boot to internet recovery (assuming the same router/network), you won't need to login to the wifi network.
And, it will take a long time for that boot. On my Mac, ethernet takes about 2 minutes. Wifi sometimes takes about 10 minutes, and everything you do will have some lag - again, all depends on the speed of your connection.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Once the internet repair mode opens and I mount the external disks, the process is as fast as before w Ethernet, but it now makes sense that connecting to the process w WIFI is slower and must be password protected. Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.