Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matsan

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2022
Just checked my Cellular usage data and saw that in about a month the DNS service has consumed almost as much data as all iMessages combined! This can't be right? I have checked Apple Discussion Forums but couldn't find any real informative answers so I as the experts here!
I have restarted the iPhone several times during the two months of stats (for updates etc) and now running latest version of iOS. Not many apps installed.

1680419787034.png

i-cubed

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Central PA
Not a solution, but an example of even worse DNS Services data usage. Like you I would like to know what is going on.

Attachments

• cellularDNS on Iphone.png
    cellularDNS on Iphone.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: matsan

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Are you sure these are monthly numbers? All of them (not just DNS Services) seem high to me to have been from a single month. The cellular data usage doesn't reset monthly along with your billing cycle...you would have to reset it yourself every month. You can see when it was last reset at the bottom of the previous screen.

FWIW, this is what mine looks like (last reset October 2021). I browse the web a lot and use apps that rely on the internet, so I think the usage makes sense in my case considering this was over a period of 20 months.

1688998730756.png

Last edited:

i-cubed

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Central PA
Are you sure these are monthly numbers? All of them (not just DNS Services) seem high to me to have been from a single month. The cellular data usage doesn't reset monthly along with your billing cycle...you would have to reset it yourself every month. You can see when it was last reset at the bottom of the previous screen.

FWIW, this is what mine looks like (last reset October 2021). I browse the web a lot and use apps that rely on the internet, so I think the usage makes sense in my case considering this was over a period of 20 months.

View attachment 2230606
I moved my account to another provider a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's a cumulative thing or not. But DNS calls are basically just text request and response, no graphics involved. It makes no sense to be consuming close to 2GBs of data for this. My messaging has pictures and videos so 1GB might be accurate. Something else going on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.