Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

page404

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
The Netherlands
My apologies in advance for the rant, but I'm a bit annoyed with the amount of garbage companies like Microsoft and Google add to your OS when installing one of their products.
In the past I already deleted the OneDrive app/services because it was constantly eating away 5-10% of CPU. I use only iCloud, no OneDrive or Dropbox for that reason.
Since a few months, my 2019 16" MBP was getting very hot and the battery drained in a few hours, even when in standby. I had a suspicion the launchservicesd was the cause, because it used between 100-120% CPU. Problem is, most applications apparently use that service but usually not up to the point it's heating up your lap.
So, finally I found some suggestions and I ended up removing all Google Chrome and Microsoft LaunchDeamons and Agents.
I removed everything from *com.adobe.ARMCD*, com.google.keystone* and *OneDrive* in the folders /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons . Result after reboot: hours of battery usage and a cool laptop.

I really already hated Microsoft and their buggy products (I need them professionally, unfortunately) and try to move away from Google as much as possible, and this is another example why. Anyways, I hope I can help other people experiencing the same issues and I got something of my chest.

Oh one more thing: everything still works like it did before. Chrome still works, Office still works.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LeeW

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
One of the main reasons I switched to apple back in the vista days, is pretty much anything Microsoft makes is utter garbage. Windows 7 was kinda ok, but then came Windows 8 and one could not figure out how to even shut down the computer, then came windows 10, it was better but still forced updates when it wanted to, unlike apple that asks do you want to update now, try tonight or remind me later, Then comes windows 11, won't work on basically anything older than a couple years and needs a minimum of 8gb of ram to function at least acceptably. Not to mention the likelyhood of windows deciding it want to crash in the middle of doing something, or deciding to do a forced update. I refuse to use a windows computer for my work, am now one of two people whom use their own laptop, which are mac's, and will never be forced to use a windows computer, and will allow the company to terminate me if they so desire for that, it is just employment, and they need me more than I need them or a job. Google is the same, not to mention spies on everything you do, and along with Microsoft will do anything the deep state wants them to do, even if it invades your privacy. Typically I use duck duck go for my search engine, use private relay and hide my ip address on my mac's and when I was attempting to tolerate windows 11 a expensive paid vpn as I do not trust Microsoft or google at all.

JuicyGoomba

macrumors member
May 20, 2021
One of the main reasons I switched to apple back in the vista days, is pretty much anything Microsoft makes is utter garbage. Windows 7 was kinda ok, but then came Windows 8 and one could not figure out how to even shut down the computer, then came windows 10, it was better but still forced updates when it wanted to, unlike apple that asks do you want to update now, try tonight or remind me later, Then comes windows 11, won't work on basically anything older than a couple years and needs a minimum of 8gb of ram to function at least acceptably. Not to mention the likelyhood of windows deciding it want to crash in the middle of doing something, or deciding to do a forced update. I refuse to use a windows computer for my work, am now one of two people whom use their own laptop, which are mac's, and will never be forced to use a windows computer, and will allow the company to terminate me if they so desire for that, it is just employment, and they need me more than I need them or a job. Google is the same, not to mention spies on everything you do, and along with Microsoft will do anything the deep state wants them to do, even if it invades your privacy. Typically I use duck duck go for my search engine, use private relay and hide my ip address on my mac's and when I was attempting to tolerate windows 11 a expensive paid vpn as I do not trust Microsoft or google at all.
This is a very old school way of thinking.

I have a strong hatred for Microsoft's business practices, but Windows 11 has been excellent for the last couple of years. There will always be issues, in the same way that there are always issues with Mac OS, due to the sheer size of the project. At some point both will once again cut a load of features that were never used, trim the fat, and then start building on top of it again.

Stating that W11 won't work on anything old than a couple of years is also misinformation. 8th gen Intel and above should be supported officially, so that's 6-7 years... which just happens to be the average support lifespan for MacOS hardware.

Just like with MacOS, there are various workarounds you can use to continue using the newest OS without official support. Unlike with Apple Silicon hardware though, you can simply install a different OS to continue with security updates and essential features.

Apple put a lot of their marketing efforts into pushing widespread privacy fearmongering, and I fear you have succumbed to this. Any device connected to the internet will be used to track you, regardless of the safety measures put in place by the user. The second you're online, Google and Facebook have a vague idea of what kind of user you are so they can throw targeted ads. All you can actually do, is limit the amount of data they take from you.

Apple are no better than any other business. Their end goal is to make as much money from you as they can. They sell the illusion of privacy to their rabid fan base but then take billions of $$$ from Google to be the default search engine. It always amazes me when the loyalists throw out the "apple care about muh privacy!1!!1" yet they never stop to think that the trillion dollar business they're defending allows the most privacy invasive company on the planet a direct line to their iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.