Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I am baffled by this, I have been setting up my old iPhone of which I erased and reset and signed into my dad's apple account. I go into settings, to turn on iCloud keychain. It then keeps asking for the passcode to my iPad, of which I do not have a passcode set up for. My iPad has only fingerprints set up, but not a passcode.

Why is iCloud demanding the passcode to one of my devices to set up with someone else's account?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I am not sure about that, I looked in the settings for passcode, and there is an option to turn it on, if I already had one, I assume the option to turn on a passcode would not be there.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I am not sure about that, I looked in the settings for passcode, and there is an option to turn it on, if I already had one, I assume the option to turn on a passcode would not be there.
What happens when you restart your iPad? I think you can not use a passcode, but I wasn’t aware of you can use a fingerprint without one. Normally, when the fingerprint fails it defaults to passcode.

Maybe I’m wrong on this because I’ve never tried setting up a fingerprint without a passcode

Reactions: compwiz1202

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Normally, you cannot setup fingerprint/face without a passcode. We are not sure why you believe you can use fingerprint without a passcode.

Since, idk, iOS 11? Apple has revamped the iCloud keychain access so it uses device passcode to help encrypt the data. To restore keychain, you'd need a device passcode. However, I am not sure about that one either.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I am baffled by this, I have been setting up my old iPhone of which I erased and reset and signed into my dad's apple account. I go into settings, to turn on iCloud keychain. It then keeps asking for the passcode to my iPad, of which I do not have a passcode set up for. My iPad has only fingerprints set up, but not a passcode.

Why is iCloud demanding the passcode to one of my devices to set up with someone else's account?

Was his account setup under the same family umbrella as your account? And/or was your account setup for alternative recovery of his account?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Normally, you cannot setup fingerprint/face without a passcode. We are not sure why you believe you can use fingerprint without a passcode.

Since, idk, iOS 11? Apple has revamped the iCloud keychain access so it uses device passcode to help encrypt the data. To restore keychain, you'd need a device passcode. However, I am not sure about that one either.

This!

There’s no way you can setup biometric authentication without having a passcode setup first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.