Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
I made the decision to leave anything Google-cloud storage related & align with the safety of Apple in iCloud. From iPhone to iPad it is seamless and fast.

HOWEVER, trying to upload anything to iCloud using the web-based site is absolute garbage! Most times the upload get's 99% complete & just hangs there indefintely and never completes.

I have had to resort to uploading to Google Drive, then downloading the file to my iPhone then uploading to iCloud using my phone.

I have checked my wifi, internet connection etc. & that is totally fine. Upload to Google Drive is smooth and rather quick.

What the heck is the issue with the web-based iCloud site...?! It is the year 2020 not 2000.

Reactions: dk001

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
iCloud Online is an embarrassment compared to OneDrive and Google Drive. Heck, even Dropbox's interface is nicer and works better imo.

I rarely ... if ever... use iCloud online. I only use iCloud as a in OS folder storage backup. Having had data loss with both Google Drive online and OneDrive online, I've moved most of my sensitive file management to file based only - that way I can back it up 2-3 different ways.

That said, agreed. iCloud Online is years behind competition. That and no selective syncing is a HUGE complaint of mine.

OneDrive can handle 500+ file drag/drop from Finder/Windows Explorer to a browser window with ease. iCloud seems to cough and die with 20+. Syncing sometimes just holds forever. I can upload 100GB to OneDrive overnight (same for Google) - but iCloud can take WEEKS for same.

But it's integrated into my iDevices, Mac OS, etc.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Is iCloud storage faster using a MacBook or just as bad?

Using iCloud on Mac is a lot faster than using the web version of iCloud storage. I've got about 40GB of data and 101GB of photos on my Mac synced to iCloud. Still doesn't come close to OneDrive/Google speeds but it is ok. I think I'm a lot more lenient too because I have a local copy.

I got burned bad doing cloud only storage with Google (partially my fault, I deleted an account that I had shared a ton of files with and ... lost all those files). So I find file based storage with iCloud to be acceptable.

Still behind OneDrive - and decades behind Office 365 web. But can't beat that iDevice integration. :)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Using iCloud on Mac is a lot faster than using the web version of iCloud storage. I've got about 40GB of data and 101GB of photos. Still doesn't come close to OneDrive/Google speeds but it is ok. I think I'm a lot more lenient too because I have a local copy.

I got burned bad doing cloud only storage with Google (partially my fault, I deleted an account that I had shared a ton of files with and ... lost all those files). So I find file based storage with iCloud to be acceptable.

Still behind OneDrive - and decades behind Office 365 web. But can't beat that iDevice integration. :)

Seriously burned by iCloud - it does feel like an archaic solution. Do like the iDevice integration.
No serious burn by Google Drive and One Drive
Local HDD and SSD backup - only burned once when HDD failed
Am migrating photos from Google to Amazon - with downgrade of Google Photos

Looking for better alternatives. You would think in this day and age there would be a one size plug and play fits all solution that "just works". ;)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Seriously burned by iCloud - it does feel like an archaic solution. Do like the iDevice integration.
No serious burn by Google Drive and One Drive
Local HDD and SSD backup - only burned once when HDD failed
Am migrating photos from Google to Amazon - with downgrade of Google Photos

Looking for better alternatives. You would think in this day and age there would be a one size plug and play fits all solution that "just works". ;)
I hate Google because I do not trust them or their so-called "security" but their uploading cloud storage is miles ahead of iCloud and really do not want to go back to Google Drive.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I hate Google because I do not trust them or their so-called "security" but their uploading cloud storage is miles ahead of iCloud and really do not want to go back to Google Drive.
I refuse to use Google products if I can help it for this reason. I went to file based storage - it wasn't easy, and took me over a year to finally convert but I'm happier now. lol. And I can back up my data easier and I can access my data when and if there is a power/internet outage.

I do miss Office 365 and Google Documents. I hope Apple one day gets this.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
That is always the challenge.
Ease of storage, upload, download, access, and dependability. Then add in privacy.
Google Drive does it all except for the latter.
I do have a couple of folders in GDrive where all uploaded files are encrypted.

Stuck with Office. Too many of my clients use it aside from my main job which is all MS in.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
So the only way I have found a solution is this: upload the file to Microsoft Drive, download to iPhone then upload to iCloud.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So the only way I have found a solution is this: upload the file to Microsoft Drive, download to iPhone then upload to iCloud.

What device are you using to upload the file to Microsoft OneDrive?

iCloud can be installed on Windows machines.

Glennster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Canada
What device are you using to upload the file to Microsoft OneDrive?

iCloud can be installed on Windows machines.

I know but I currently use a Windows laptop from work & cannot install iCloud on it.

I take the files from a flash drive, upload to OneDrive then once complete download to my iPhone using the OneDrive app then upload to iCloud with same iPhone.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I know but I currently use a Windows laptop from work & cannot install iCloud on it.

I take the files from a flash drive, upload to OneDrive then once complete download to my iPhone using the OneDrive app then upload to iCloud with same iPhone.

Can you access and upload/download from iCloud.com via IE or Chrome?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Ah you're in the same situation I am. I am on a work computer during the day as well and I cannot install iCloud on it. So I've resigned myself to using my company's Office 365 OneDrive/Sharepoint account. I do back this up (the non-company data (like work logs, etc)) to my iCloud account manually now and then via my MacBook - just logging in and saving to my iCloud folder from OneDrive/Sharepoint.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I made the decision to leave anything Google-cloud storage related & align with the safety of Apple in iCloud. From iPhone to iPad it is seamless and fast.

HOWEVER, trying to upload anything to iCloud using the web-based site is absolute garbage! Most times the upload get's 99% complete & just hangs there indefintely and never completes.

I have had to resort to uploading to Google Drive, then downloading the file to my iPhone then uploading to iCloud using my phone.

I have checked my wifi, internet connection etc. & that is totally fine. Upload to Google Drive is smooth and rather quick.

What the heck is the issue with the web-based iCloud site...?! It is the year 2020 not 2000.
that's bc they aren't designed to operate the same way. Apple's way is to make it seamless and be integrated with each device and have photos directly in the camera roll of an iPhone or iPad or the photos on your Mac. Same goes with the "files" app on iOS devices, they put the files on all your devices including Mac. Best solution is to take all your files and upload them through your Mac into each area of iCloud. It's not designed to just upload them on a website and then have your devices have no files or pics on them at all like you can do with google and dropbox etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.