Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
ive seem many speed comparisons of the latest flagship phones from apple and android. In nearly all cases, the Android opens apps quicker than iOS. iOS only wins for loading games.
So why is this? The benchmarks suggest iOS is quicker with the A12 etc, and the hardware of apple is very fast and powerful. It can only be down to lack of optimisation of iOS and the apps, I keep hearing apps are better on iOS but obviously not in the speed of opening stakes

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
ive seem many speed comparisons of the latest flagship phones from apple and android. In nearly all cases, the Android opens apps quicker than iOS. iOS only wins for loading games.
So why is this? The benchmarks suggest iOS is quicker with the A12 etc, and the hardware of apple is very fast and powerful. It can only be down to lack of optimisation of iOS and the apps, I keep hearing apps are better on iOS but obviously not in the speed of opening stakes
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...close-to-android.2172768/page-2#post-27170952

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Very noticeable compare my iPhone X to Note 9. Even 6GB S9+. Not some barely recognized tiny tiny fraction of zero.

More RAM. iOS is more aggressive purging RAM and sleeping or slumbering. NVMe vs UFS hasn’t helped.

Shouldn’t be but it is. Android Q beta addresses launching further. Guess Google metrics see room for significant improvements. The myth of who’s memory management is better. No rose colored glasses or koolaide.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
iOS has become bloated off late. I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 12 and not only is it slow but the battery percentage drops by the minute on light web browsing with 100% battery health. my Note 9 lasts 2 whole days and is super quick and no reloads. Android's latest versions have surpassed iOS

Reactions: calibru_2good_4u

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
iOS has become bloated off late. I have an iPhone 6s on iOS 12 and not only is it slow but the battery percentage drops by the minute on light web browsing with 100% battery health. my Note 9 lasts 2 whole days and is super quick and no reloads. Android's latest versions have surpassed iOS

So you're saying your Android phone released in 2018 is outperforming your iPhone released in 2015? I'm not sure that's really proof of anything beyond newer hardware being better than older hardware. It certainly doesn't prove that iOS is becoming bloated. That may or may not be true, but your evidence doesn't really support your assertion at all.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
And my iPhone 6s with iOS 12 works insanely well. Zero performance problems and great battery life, battery replaced last year at authorized repair.

If you have a third party battery the health reading doesn’t work.

But post a video to YouTube of this slow 6s you have?
[doublepost=1552814070][/doublepost]
Very noticeable compare my iPhone X to Note 9. Even 6GB S9+. Not some barely recognized tiny tiny fraction of zero.

More RAM. iOS is more aggressive purging RAM and sleeping or slumbering. NVMe vs UFS hasn’t helped.
Android used to be much more aggressive in purging apps from memory, or using more in the first place, as evidenced by all those “let’s start lots of apps” tests.

iPhone raced well ahead especially during the second round, despite having only half of memory of Android flagships.

Maybe 8GB of RAM is finally enough for Android.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
When you open an App on Android as soon as you press the icon, it starts it's raw processing. On iOS when you open the App, it first gives priority to the UI, then animation, then it starts processing.
They did give a higher priority to the app processing on iOS 12 but it still lacks compared to Android.
screenshot-2018-06-04-at-1-15-11-pm.png

iphonnemacf

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2019
I noticed under iOS the apps will start for the first time. They open slower than under Android.

But if open the app for the second time, it is faster under iOS.

Can it be that the iOS system loads the app completely and can therefore hold in the RAM for so long?

iPhone XS and Samsung Galaxy S10 tested.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Don't know about latest Android but I have a 6s like you. I upgraded to iOS 12.3.1 and swear I should have never done that. Slooooower, LTE three bars max battery life don't ever mention it. It's a disaster. I now hate my venerable 6s. I should have known better. I'm so angry at myself. My Air 2 and Mini 2 didn't have any benefits from iOS 12 as Apple so much advertised it. Not faster, not opening appas faster and surely not better battery life. Fortunately, I don't use much my iPhone -reason why I don't buy a new one- and I can afford to let it stand Off for 3 days. For me, I'm done with iPhones. I wonder if I'd be so lost with a Pixel or something like that. Anyhow, Apple has become ****** over the years. Take my word, I was there for the launch of the Mac Plus. That's to say how old I am. And happy I don't need Apple anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.