Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Can someone at MR please explain to me why in your vendor list you have vendors (vendor Human) which have consent always on and thus not allowing the user to decide if they give consent or not and why some vendors are ignoring the legitimate interest setting because you can clearly see on the example given (vendor Amobee *spelling*) that legitimate interest is switch off but in the list is shows that it is on. What is MR trying to pull here!!!.

Vendor: Human

MR_cookie1.jpg

Vendor: Amobee
MR_cookie2.jpg

Reactions: hwojtek

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
At the bottom of every page in the middle there is an "Update Privacy Preferences" option, however it does not always seem to show up. It might depend on the network used?

I see the same issue, there is a legitimate interest toggle that is toggled on individually for multiple vendors and cannot universally be toggled at all. So one would have to go through every single vendor to check if such a toggle is there and disable that.

And when toggling it off, the text below still says that the features that are turned off are actually on.

The amount of vendors that can load third party content is pretty big, that makes it somewhat impossible to actually choose any settings, I'd need at least half an hour to go through all that, on each device. Shows how absurd the notion is that we users are being given a choice over what third party content is loaded in.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
At the bottom of every page in the middle there is an "Update Privacy Preferences" option, however it does not always seem to show up. It might depend on the network used?

I see the same issue, there is a legitimate interest toggle that is toggled on individually for multiple vendors and cannot universally be toggled at all. So one would have to go through every single vendor to check if such a toggle is there and disable that.

And when toggling it off, the text below still says that the features that are turned off are actually on.

The amount of vendors that can load third party content is pretty big, that makes it somewhat impossible to actually choose any settings, I'd need at least half an hour to go through all that, on each device. Shows how absurd the notion is that we users are being given a choice over what third party content is loaded in.
I recommend installing Consent-O-Matic so you don't manually have to click through hundreds of "legitimate interest" and other data points.

It's maintained by privacy researchers from Aarhus University that got fed up by companies violating EU's General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).

laptech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I recommend installing Consent-o-Matic so you don't manually have to click through hundreds of "legitimate interest" and other data points.
How exactly is that going to work in this case because as you can clearly see by the example I've given, legitimate interest switch is in the OFF position but yet under the 'claiming legitimate interest to' list, it says everything is on. Therefore this implies the cookie is not responding to the action of the user.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
How exactly is that going to work in this case because as you can clearly see by the example I've given, legitimate interest switch is in the OFF position but yet under the 'claiming legitimate interest to' list, it says everything is on. Therefore this implies the cookie is not responding to the action of the user.
It works for me 🤷🏼‍♂️

You can always try and install the browser extension and then look at the cookie to verify.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I only see Privacy Policy and there's nothing in that page that either prompts similarly to the OP or has information similar to what the OP is showing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1682700996407.png

Not really a big deal to me, I was just curious - thanks.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
I only see Privacy Policy and there's nothing in that page that either prompts similarly to the OP or has information similar to what the OP is showing

The Privacy Policy page contains a "view of modify" link...

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 9.06.56 PM.png

...which loops back to the Privacy Policy page. Furthermore, there is nothing in the "control panel" that controls privacy from MR point of view, it's only about how much the users wants to share from their profile data, but nothing regarding tracking and cookies.

I'd love to hear from Macrumors righteous admins, who take great care about users allegedly "offended" by other users, even if they are not at all offended, but seem to have a great deal of slack to Macrumors themselves, non-compliant with GDPR data rules and presenting less than decency in regards to cookies and user tracking.

Reactions: okkibs and maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.