Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hello,

I should clarify that any lightning cable I plug into my iPhone lightning port is loose, not the lightning port itself.

Upon placing the lightning cable into the iPhone lightning port it does charge but doesn’t seem to grasp the cable securely, as should be the case.

the iPhones lightning port isn’t loose and upon inspection using a flashlight, doesn’t seem to have debris stuck in there. I’ve already use a can of compressed air to get any lint out and also rubbing alcohol to clean it in there (during the phone is off of course).

the phone still charges normally, it’s just that because the lightning cable is loose when plugged in, I don’t have confidence while I’m driving because a minor road bump can cause it to come unplugged. Same when using my phone in bed; I feel I gotta continue to hold the cable while using it.
Any help is appreciated.

ducme

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
I know you said that you’ve tried compressed air and don’t see any lint, but I’d still suggest taking a toothpick and scraping the interior of the port clean. I faced the same issue recently of a loose connection even though the port itself wasn’t loose. I didn’t see any debris, but a toothpick cleared out a ton of lint, making the port almost brand new again.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Is it the new USB-C cable that came with the iPhone 12?
Try a different cable.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Why is this in the iPhone 12 section?
Which phone do you have?
Debris is the most likely but your port could be the problem.
The springs that lock into the little divots on the Lightning plug could be worn out.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hello,

I should clarify that any lightning cable I plug into my iPhone lightning port is loose, not the lightning port itself.

Upon placing the lightning cable into the iPhone lightning port it does charge but doesn’t seem to grasp the cable securely, as should be the case.

the iPhones lightning port isn’t loose and upon inspection using a flashlight, doesn’t seem to have debris stuck in there. I’ve already use a can of compressed air to get any lint out and also rubbing alcohol to clean it in there (during the phone is off of course).

the phone still charges normally, it’s just that because the lightning cable is loose when plugged in, I don’t have confidence while I’m driving because a minor road bump can cause it to come unplugged. Same when using my phone in bed; I feel I gotta continue to hold the cable while using it.
Any help is appreciated.
Lint affected my iPhone 4 Connector. I thought it’s broken lol. Check that out first. Use a needle and compressed air. Other wise take it to Apple if the lint isn’t the issue. There’s too many things to break which I experienced.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
OLD thread - but, cleaned mine out. It is just plain loose. If I sort of force the plug up at an angle it encages, but will not stay firmly in place

Suggestions? (xs)

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Ini
OLD thread - but, cleaned mine out. It is just plain loose. If I sort of force the plug up at an angle it encages, but will not stay firmly in place

Suggestions? (xs)
Inevitably ended up selling my iPhone that had this issue, however as a temporary solution I did place a very small strip of electrical tape inside of the bottom portion of the lightning port opening on my iPhone disallowed for a more secure fit while the phone was charging although it was nowhere near as a tight fit as an original brand new iPhone.

Numerous repair stores quoted me at $75-$100 to fix this lightning port issue, at the very end of the day I ended up purchasing a brand newiPhone SE two for just a few hundred bucks. Although admittedly I do miss my iPhone 7 Plus it was a great size and a great fit

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If all the lint has been cleaned out of the port (verify with a magnifying glass and flashlight) then the spring tab on the side of the port isn't working properly any more. No way for a general user to fix that.

You'll notice that if the Lightning plug on the cable is lifted up after its inserted, the phone will probably charge, and when you let go, it might disconnect.
As a ghetto workaround, you can slip a rubber band under the cable at the plug and stretch it over the top of the phone to apply upward pressure on it while it's charging. Rubber band gets in the way a bit when using the phone though.
Best to put the phone down when it's charging with a rubber band holding stuff together and occupy yourself with something else while it charges so you don't disturb the plug

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Adding some help here. I thought I had mine cleaned out - WRONG. I checked a family phone to see how far the plug goes in... mine was nowhere as close. Big more digging with tooth pick, needle and forcing a lens wipe into the hole fixed it.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2016
England
It’s lint. Sometimes lint and dust get into the port and block the connector from going fully in.
Sim ejection tools work wonders to scrape it out.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It’s lint. Sometimes lint and dust get into the port and block the connector from going fully in.
Sim ejection tools work wonders to scrape it out.
It wasn’t lint, the locks inside were just worn out after like 4 years of plugging the lightning port in and out half a dozen times a day.
Any solution to this?
Considering this was with my old iPhone seven plus which I did love, it saddened me that the solution was for me to replace it. Went with the iPhone SE2 and although am not a fan of the smaller screen size, am glad with the performance and snappiness.

Edit: I replaced it cause it was gonna be a $75-$100 charge just to replace the charging port with no guarantees it would solve the overall issue. Not to mention the battery capacity was at 70%. So instead I found a deal on the SE2 for like $200 and am happy with the it. Although again, not a fan of the smaller screen size. Above all, I refuse to abandon Touch ID home button and detest Face ID.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
there s gunk in it
No not in mine. I cleaned it with alcohol solution, wipes, toothpicks, cotton swabs, etc.

Even after all that it wouldn’t hold a charge unless pressed continuously.

It makes sense after years of putting it in and out tens of thousands of times that it would eventually fail. This makes MagSafe charging all the more appealing especially since it can charge the iPhone faster than my traditional brick plugged into the wall.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
seems you know your answer. what were you hoping people would say?
Because Dukebound85, I was the one that initially asked for help a long time ago and someone else continued the thread today so I thought it helpful to answer with the current most up to date knowledge I have.

That’s why Dukebound85.

That’s why.

handsomekilla

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2017
I've been having this problem for a few weeks and just found this thread today. I took a toothpick and gently cleaned out the Lightning port.

Holy moly was there a lot of lint. It was like a clown car full of lint.

It solved my problem, too. The port works great now. Thanks all.

Ahoomanb

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
For me I cleaned out and there was just a tiny bit of lint, barely visible and… Voila! Works like a charm!

Johnwaynegoodin

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2024
Adding some help here. I thought I had mine cleaned out - WRONG. I checked a family phone to see how far the plug goes in... mine was nowhere as close. Big more digging with tooth pick, needle and forcing a lens wipe into the hole fixed it.
I like the idea of using a lens wipe. You could also try using a cart handle wipe too. The kind you can get for free when you’re going into a grocery store. Just remember to bring a ziplock bag along because the wipes can dry out really fast. And remember to clean the end of your cables frequently so you don’t push junk into the port itself. A old fashioned pencil eraser is a good way of doing this. Just rub it across the contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.