Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Hi I have broadband 1mb/s

On my pc it is really fast, I can go to any website it will load up really fast.

On my Mac, some websites don't open i.e. says server not found. When I download stuff its takes ages, is there something I need to configure to make it run faster?

Something that takes 20 seconds on my pc would take more that 40 seconds on my mac. e.g. downloading the same program.

can anyone help?

Thanking you in advance.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Probably it would help to know what Mac you're using, whether it's running OS X, and which browser you're using. Internet Explorer for the Mac is often reported to be terribly slow; older Macs will be slower; etc.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I ma using a 12" powerbook 1ghz with Panther OSX 10.3.7
Using safari.

I am however using internet explorer because safari keeps on crashing when I visit the Macrumors forum.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
cwedl said:
I am however using internet explorer because safari keeps on crashing when I visit the Macrumors forum.

Huh? Safari is all I use, and I haven't see this problem. Wonder if you've got a bad cookie or something. Check here for some possible solutions.

Otherwise, can't say why things would be so slow, except for the fact you're using IE. You could also try Firefox.

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
I think it is Safari

Ever since I upgraded to Safari 1.2.4, I've had some speed issues as well. It seems to hang at the very end of a page load. Never had a single crash like you mentioned though. I'm not a 'heavy' user so I just ignore it, with the knowledge that a newer version is coming soon. Many have recommended FireFox in the interim.

Also, if you are on a wireless network, make sure your airport card is properly configured to use 'g' instead of 'b'.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Thanks, I have tried installing firefox of mac osx but the dmg can't be verified. i went to my pc and downloaded from there, then used my pendrive to transfer the dmg and it worked fine. I never had this problem with 10.3.6, maybe its something to do with 10.3.7?

My mac is still slower on the internet than my pc.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
jjmaximum said:
Ever since I upgraded to Safari 1.2.4, I've had some speed issues as well. It seems to hang at the very end of a page load. Never had a single crash like you mentioned though. I'm not a 'heavy' user so I just ignore it, with the knowledge that a newer version is coming soon. Many have recommended FireFox in the interim.

Also, if you are on a wireless network, make sure your airport card is properly configured to use 'g' instead of 'b'.

I am on a wireless network, but because I haven't go an airport extreme card yet, I use a very long network cable plugged into the router.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
cwedl said:
Hi I have broadband 1mb/s

On my pc it is really fast, I can go to any website it will load up really fast.

On my Mac, some websites don't open i.e. says server not found. When I download stuff its takes ages, is there something I need to configure to make it run faster?

Something that takes 20 seconds on my pc would take more that 40 seconds on my mac. e.g. downloading the same program.

can anyone help?

Thanking you in advance.

The fact of the matter is the interrnet runs slower on a mac no matter what machine you have or what ISP you have. But they work better and more consistantly.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
cwedl said:
I am on a wireless network, but because I haven't go an airport extreme card yet, I use a very long network cable plugged into the router.

In that case it may be your MTU setting. Open System Preferences > Network > show Built-in Ethernet > click on Ethernet tab > Configure manually. Next to Maximum Packet Size (MTU): check Custom: and change it from the default of 1500 to, let's say, 1458. That's what mine is set to and it works well for me. The correct number depends on your ISP, so if 1458 isn't succesful google on your ISP name + MTU and see what results you get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.