Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I just noticed this last night but, whenever my powerbook is plugged into it's P-P-P-POWERBRICK, I hear a very faint buzzing sound. It immediately stops once it's running on battery power. Is this thing going bad? Is this a known issue? If this thing is dying I think I'm going to need someone to kick in the teeth.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's all the electrons running from the wall into your PowerBook. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have you just noticed it or has it suddenly got worse?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
What happens if you take out the battery (while it's plugged in, obviously) ?

Daedalus256 said:
I just noticed this last night but, whenever my powerbook is plugged into it's P-P-P-POWERBRICK, I hear a very faint buzzing sound. It immediately stops once it's running on battery power. Is this thing going bad? Is this a known issue? If this thing is dying I think I'm going to need someone to kick in the teeth.

Daedalus256

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Spectrum said:
What happens if you take out the battery (while it's plugged in, obviously) ?

When I take it out, I still hear it.

Also, and I remember a thread on this a while back, it just started sounding like a lightsaber when I move it.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
My 17" PowerBook has been buzzing ever since I got it back in August of 2005. It only does it with the AC Adapter plugged in. I think its access noise coming through the speakers. Its not a big deal to me and my PowerBook works fine and has been ever since I got it. So I wouldn't worry about the noise.

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
My 15" makes a bit of a high pitched buzz when the cpu performance is set to high in the preferences. Check that, perhaps its going to a lower performance setting when its on batteries. I would plug it in and try change the setting to see if you still hear it.

Of course I could be refering to a totally different sound all together but its worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.