Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgoelz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I would like to use (unlimited) phone data instead of (limited) hotspot data for a couple high data bandwidth apps (like RDP) when I am camping. Just on a larger screen. A while back I even switched to a Samsung S23 so I could use the DEX desktop mode. It isn't perfect but it is real close.

But this morning on a lark I decided to try a lightning to HDMI converter with my iPhone and see if a simple screen mirror would suffice.

While the actual screen mirror works fine, nothing else does. If I connect a BT mouse, it works on the phone but not in the remote desktop app (AnyDesk or Microsoft RDP). The mouse scroll wheel does work for some reason, but seems to go to sleep when it is not actually scrolling and doesn't wake up right away so small scrolls don't work. The phone volume control is non-functional. Just pairing my mouse doesn't work.... I have to use assistive touch to get the mouse to work at all, which leaves a spot on my screen for assistive touch menu access.

Why is this so hard? Simple screen mirroring should just plain WORK. Right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.