Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I've noticed an apparent bug where if I ask Siri to add an item to my shopping list, she does so, but then if I ask her to remind me of something, she adds the reminder to the shopping list instead of my reminders. After adding a few more reminders or waiting a period of time, she seems to revert back to the reminders list.

Here's an example:

Me: "Hey Siri, add bananas to my shopping list"
Siri: "Ok, added to your shopping list" (and she does)

Me: "Hey Siri, remind me to pick up the dry cleaning at 2pm"
Siri: "Ok, added to today's reminders" (but she adds it to my shopping list instead)

(I wait about 30-60 seconds)

Me: "Hey Siri, remind me to look for new shoes"
Siri: "Ok, added to reminders" (and this one actually goes to reminders as she says)

Someone posted this problem on Apple's support forums and their solution was to go to Settings > Reminders > Default List, and select "Reminders" as the default list, but I already have Reminders as the default list, so there's something else going on.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Reactions: Clamjuice65

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
I've noticed an apparent bug …

But yes, I can reproduce this exact behavior.

It might be a bug. But it could also be an actual feature, as a way to make Siri more ”situational aware”?

I notice that as long as Siri displays a confirmation dialog on screen where you can touch to edit her last action, she continues to add items to the previously defined list and not the default list. When the dialog dissappears (ranging ~10-30 sec depending on locked state?) she puts items in default list again.

Last edited:

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Siri randomly adds reminders to my shopping list even though I never use the shopping list. I chalk it up to Siri being it’s normal useless self

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
But yes, I can reproduce this exact behavior.

It might be a bug. But it could also be an actual feature, as a way to make Siri more ”situational aware”?

I notice that as long as Siri displays a confirmation dialog on screen where you can touch to edit her last action, she continues to add items to the previously defined list and not the default list. When the dialog dissappears (ranging ~10-30 sec depending on locked state?) she puts items in default list again.

Yes, I just tried that and if I ask Siri to add something to my shopping list (successful), "exit" the confirmation dialog, and THEN ask her to add something to my reminders, she does so. However, it doesn't work the opposite way. If I ask Siri to add something to my reminders, then do NOT exit the confirmation dialog, and then ask her to add something to my shopping list, she adds it to my shopping list, not my reminders.

I vote definite bug, especially since when she adds a reminder to the shopping list, she says "added to your reminders" or "added to today's reminders", not "added to your shopping list". I'll report this to Apple. If I wanted her to add something else to my shopping list, I would tell her so and not say "remind me". That's not her being situationally aware, but situationally UNaware.

EDIT: Report submitted to Apple via Feedback Assistant app.

Last edited:

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Siri thinks this is your main reminders list. To fix it, (I’m not sure if this works or not) try making a new reminders list. When you want Siri to add something to you shopping list, say ”add lettuce my shopping list”. If the first method doesn’t work, then say “add (reminder name) to (reminder list)” hope this helps!

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Siri thinks this is your main reminders list. To fix it, (I’m not sure if this works or not) try making a new reminders list. When you want Siri to add something to you shopping list, say ”add lettuce my shopping list”. If the first method doesn’t work, then say “add (reminder name) to (reminder list)” hope this helps!

As mentioned in my OP, "Reminders" is already my default list. If you read further, it turns out the issue is that if you ask Siri to add something to your shopping list, and then immediately ask Siri to add something to your reminders before the on-screen confirmation disappears, she thinks you're still adding things to your shopping list (in spite of me clearly saying "remind me" and Siri even verbally confirming it was added to "Reminders"). To me it's quite clearly a bug, which is why I've already submitted a report to Apple.

pnzrfst

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2021
I've noticed an apparent bug where if I ask Siri to add an item to my shopping list, she does so, but then if I ask her to remind me of something, she adds the reminder to the shopping list instead of my reminders. After adding a few more reminders or waiting a period of time, she seems to revert back to the reminders list.

Here's an example:

Me: "Hey Siri, add bananas to my shopping list"
Siri: "Ok, added to your shopping list" (and she does)

Me: "Hey Siri, remind me to pick up the dry cleaning at 2pm"
Siri: "Ok, added to today's reminders" (but she adds it to my shopping list instead)

(I wait about 30-60 seconds)

Me: "Hey Siri, remind me to look for new shoes"
Siri: "Ok, added to reminders" (and this one actually goes to reminders as she says)

Someone posted this problem on Apple's support forums and their solution was to go to Settings > Reminders > Default List, and select "Reminders" as the default list, but I already have Reminders as the default list, so there's something else going on.

Hi, I’m having exactly the same issue. Weirdly, it seems to affect only HomePods. is that what you’re experiencing?

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Hi, I’m having exactly the same issue. Weirdly, it seems to affect only HomePods. is that what you’re experiencing?

I don't have a HomePod. This was happening to me on my iPhone or Apple Watch. And I just tested this again and the bug is still not fixed.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
To me this is the smoking gun that it’s a bug. It says it’s adding it to one list but instead adds it to another. If it were an issue with defaults or trying to predict what you wanted by context it would add it to the stated list, just the wrong list. Just my thoughts. It’s a bug.

pnzrfst

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2021
So far, it looks like the latest update (HomePod OS 16.3.2) fixed it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.