Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I bought one to simply use and return - its my way of rebelling against the price. Wont cost me anything :)

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
I bought a smart cover and yes it should retail for about $25 not $40, for those that have one whats your feedback on it?

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I bought a smart cover and yes it should retail for about $25 not $40, for those that have one whats your feedback on it?

I had one for a while with my iPad 3 (I ended up returning the iPad) and I loved the Smart Cover. That said, I think it's very pricey for a PU item.. but it felt very nice, was very thin, functioned well, the inside lining is soft, etc. I really did enjoy it but I think the price is high.. especially for the Mini.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I can't believe people think Apple should price things fairly. Go to the website below and look where apple is ranked among the world brands.....

They can do whatever they damn well want and get away with it...OK with me, I own a ton of their stock...

But yeah, it's worth $25....

http://rankingthebrands.com/

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
I had one for a while with my iPad 3 (I ended up returning the iPad) and I loved the Smart Cover. That said, I think it's very pricey for a PU item.. but it felt very nice, was very thin, functioned well, the inside lining is soft, etc. I really did enjoy it but I think the price is high.. especially for the Mini.

Thanks! I bought it for my iPad 3 as well. Yeah the price for the mini version is defiantly to high.

iPadMini

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
America
I had one back when I owned the iPad 2. My biggest problem about getting a third party one was that it would tip over fall and I would ruin my $500+ iPad 2. By getting something Apple branded you kind've have the "Apple peace of mind factor".

I'm going to be honest here:

I bought the Nexus 7 when it came out from Google and I had to get it replaced 4 times. I had to keep shipping it back to Google by mail and it really got on my nerves. With Apple you can order something online and return it to the store.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Im just wondering, what makes it cost so much? I feel like it should cost 30$.

It's called "desire for profit".

If they price it at $40 and people buy them, they why not? If people held on to their money and didn't buy them, I'm sure Apple would sell them for less. But we don't. So they don't. Simple.

amazonpam

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
I wanted different colors than Apple offered, so I went the 3rd party route. Got 2 for $25.00 and haven't had any problem with the one I've been using. It also cleans up with a damp cloth.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
i agree

$10 manufacturing & materials
$10 company overhead
$10 profit

$10 self loathing Apple tax

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
i agree

$10 manufacturing & materials
$10 company overhead
$10 profit

$10 self loathing Apple tax

I would bet it's not even close to $10 in manufacturing and materials. I guess the most expensive part would be the magnets but buying in such bulk I imagine it keeps the cost down.

OF course I have no clue so I'm talking out my buttock

Last edited:

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
Yeah they are overpriced but people will usually add this as an option near checkout, they can get away with it. Apple make a big enough margin on the iPad that they could probably make a loss on these things.

It is also probably not to upset third party case makers. If they sold them for ~$20 who would ever consider buying other cases?

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I love my leather smart cover. Got my black one on clearance at Wal-Mart a while back.

I wouldn't spend $40 for the poly one, but I did spend $40 for the leather one.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
I love my leather smart cover. Got my black one on clearance at Wal-Mart a while back.

I wouldn't spend $40 for the poly one, but I did spend $40 for the leather one.

Agree,

Poly is just plastic it shouldn't be that much. I've always bought the leather smartcovers and I think they are fairly priced.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why they're $40? So some Chinese corporate fatcat can make millions by selling cheap knockoffs in bulk which pop up on eBay and Amazon for $9.99.

On a more serious note, maybe they're so highly priced so that we all explore the (well, sometimes) beautiful world of third-party cases and covers? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.