Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrigal77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Anyone else noticed this? As a non subscriber sometimes I’ll see an interesting article, but it’s paywalled behind the + subscription. Just about 99% of the time if you just do a simple google search of the news title, it’s completely free. So why is it paywalled only on Apple News+, but not the web? Is this an Apple thing or a choice by the content creator?

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
So the same article from the same news outlet is free on the web, but you have to pay on Apple News+?

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Can you point to one or two instances? Because I looked up a few Apple News + article on Google and they were still behind the particular magazine/newspaper paywall. Thanks, just curious what you found.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Can you point to one or two instances? Because I looked up a few Apple News + article on Google and they were still behind the particular magazine/newspaper paywall. Thanks, just curious what you found.

It's on News+ but free on Newsweek's site with no account required.

Now, I wouldn't say this is a terribly frequent occurrence. I would say only around a quarter of the articles I come across are like this. I'm more annoyed by the articles shown on Apple News that say you need an additional subscription to WSJ, NY Times, etc. to read.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaladinGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.