Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunsetblow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Seeing it go on eBay for like $50-60. Someone tossed out their old MacBook Air in my apartment garbage room and I took a look inside and the key was still in there, untouched.

Is it hard to come by or something?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Which specific keyboard? It starts with an A or MB. As I see a bunch of sold ones in the $20 to $40 range. Which varies by model and condition.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I imagine very few were ever purchased. As I think it was a separate buy. Making it rare.

Although I'd just use a regular thumb drive and load the installer on it. If it is the first Macbook Air it can do up to 10.7.5. Although I'd install Linux to run up to date software.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I imagine very few were ever purchased. As I think it was a separate buy. Making it rare.

Although I'd just use a regular thumb drive and load the installer on it. If it is the first Macbook Air it can do up to 10.7.5. Although I'd install Linux to run up to date software.
The 2010 MacBook Airs shipped with an install USB in place of the typical gray discs, and is sought-after because it's one of the only ways to get Snow Leopard on a 2010 MBA. Only other way really is to find a way to plug its SSD into a machine capable of installing Snow Leopard, then putting it back in. This would be easy if it had FireWire or Thunderbolt, but it's not sadly

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
The 2010 MacBook Airs shipped with an install USB in place of the typical gray discs, and is sought-after because it's one of the only ways to get Snow Leopard on a 2010 MBA. Only other way really is to find a way to plug its SSD into a machine capable of installing Snow Leopard, then putting it back in. This would be easy if it had FireWire or Thunderbolt, but it's not sadly

Can you not restore the contents of the DVD to a USB drive via Disk Utility on another computer? What about a USB disk drive?

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Can you not restore the contents of the DVD to a USB drive via Disk Utility on another computer? What about a USB disk drive?
Any Snow Leopard retail DVDs are too old to install on the 2010 MBA, they're missing the drivers. All of the ones that are from the same time or newer are the machine-specific gray discs and will refuse to install, so it's quite hard to get an installer.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Any Snow Leopard retail DVDs are too old to install on the 2010 MBA, they're missing the drivers. All of the ones that are from the same time or newer are the machine-specific gray discs and will refuse to install, so it's quite hard to get an installer.

Ah, that explains it!

Someone really ought to put the files up on Macintosh Garden...

Reactions: B S Magnet

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
Ah, that explains it!

Someone really ought to put the files up on Macintosh Garden...
You can modify an OS X 10.6.7 Install DVD from a 2011 MBP to work on all macs by replacing the installer.mpkg and printer packages with the ones from the 10.6.3 DVD.

Reactions: B S Magnet
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.