Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I don’t know why I’m just now posting about this, it’s bothered me since day one. I constantly accidentally hit that when I have just woken up and am still half asleep, only to have to walk back to my room to turn it off again 10 minutes later. Extremely stupid, how many people really hit snooze? (I fully expect everyone here to say they love this design and always use snooze.) I set my alarm for when I have to be up.

They should at the very least have made them both the same size and equally accessible. “Stop” is very small and at the bottom of the screen, while Snooze is huge and in the center and very easy to hit when you’re half asleep and just want to turn the obnoxious alarm off.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Depends on how you look at it I suppose, your alarm goes off so you’re pretty much not functioning 100% and you reach over to hit snooze and you accidentally press a more prominent Stop button which you then oversleep and are then late for work etc.

Vothic

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Now that you mention it I have always wondered this myself. Most of the time I use the alarm on my Apple Watch, but on the occasions where I do use the phone alarm I often do the same thing....accidentally hit snooze then have to go to my phone ten minutes later when the alarm goes off again. A minor thing to be sure, but it seems like if the buttons were even just separated a bit more it would solve the problem.....

Reactions: Cape Dave

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Depends on how you look at it I suppose, your alarm goes off so you’re pretty much not functioning 100% and you reach over to hit snooze and you accidentally press a more prominent Stop button which you then oversleep and are then late for work etc.
Exactly. I'd rather not accidentally hit End and then be late. The one that annoys me more is why the heck are the buttons reversed for the timer?? I hit the wrong one pretty often because of muscle memory from the alarm.

Reactions: Cape Dave and 26139

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
If you get into the habit of just getting up at the sound of the alarm and never snooze, just turn off snooze when you set your alarm. You'll be left with one stop button and nothing else.

Reactions: Cape Dave

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This is how it looks in iOS 9. So much for progress

image.jpeg

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Probably because most alarm clocks are set up same way. Have a large snooze button, usually on top for quick access while still half asleep. Alarm turn off is usually a smaller switch on back or side.

This has been normal convention since alarm clock came out. Why complain about Apple following a normal convention?
Ah I didn’t realize that was a classic alarm convention. I feel better about all of this now, thanks.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
There would be plenty moaning blaming Apple that they were late for work because they hit the bigger Off button when they tried to Snooze the alarm....

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don’t know why I’m just now posting about this, it’s bothered me since day one. I constantly accidentally hit that when I have just woken up and am still half asleep, only to have to walk back to my room to turn it off again 10 minutes later. Extremely stupid, how many people really hit snooze? (I fully expect everyone here to say they love this design and always use snooze.) I set my alarm for when I have to be up.

They should at the very least have made them both the same size and equally accessible. “Stop” is very small and at the bottom of the screen, while Snooze is huge and in the center and very easy to hit when you’re half asleep and just want to turn the obnoxious alarm off.
Probably because most alarm clocks are set up same way. Have a large snooze button, usually on top for quick access while still half asleep. Alarm turn off is usually a smaller switch on back or side.

This has been normal convention since alarm clock came out. Why complain about Apple following a normal convention?

Never thought about it, but it makes sense. Better to hit snooze by accident when you're half awake. You need to be fully awake and actually aim for stop.

I've heard of 3rd party alarm apps (maybe just on Android) that require you to do something like solve a simple math problem to stop the alarm, just ensuring that you're fully awake.

Reactions: HEK

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Some of us actually get up when our alarms go off...
[automerge]1579219422[/automerge]
There would be plenty moaning blaming Apple that they were late for work because they hit the bigger Off button when they tried to Snooze the alarm....
You're only fooling yourself with that additional nine minutes.

Reactions: TH55 and Breezygirl

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I wake up by snoozing first & turning the bedside table light on. On the next alarm, I turn it off.

That's the plan anyway...

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Those additional minutes are the most enjoyable. Still dozing but just awake enough to enjoy it. Find myself setting alarm early just for the satisfaction of a snooze or two.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019

True, I find it makes me feel far worse.

I also fool myself in to thinking the next snooze is when I’ll get up but instead keep hitting it for the next hour and I’m late anyway. Bad habit to get into.

Nowadays I just force myself to get up when the alarm goes off the first time. Much better off for it.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

have often (every morning?) wondered the same thing.
apple having made it this way makes me think that apple believes people like you and i who can actually get out of bed at the alarm times we set are in the minority.
who knows? maybe they are right.
but it does annoy me.
[automerge]1579247344[/automerge]
Why not just turn off the snooze function? If you edit the alarm there should be a toggle to turn it off.

sorry, but you can only turn off the snooze option for normally set alarms.

in Clock there is tab called Bedtime.
if you set yr wake up alarm using that tab, there is no way to turn off a snooze option.
using Bedtime to set a wake up alarm has nice features.
tracking sleep time in Health, as well as getting a brief weather report every morning when you turn off the alarm you set using Bedtime.
but there is no kill switch to snooze in Bedtime settings.

Last edited:

RandomAppleUserLove&Hate

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2021
okay my issue is that i would like to snooze some and other stop immediately i use the alarm clock all day at work. so why not let me choose which size for each alarm. sleepy time snooze large. all other alarms for me would have a larger stop button. i like the simplicity of the alarm function vs any other app i do not want to download a simple alarm by a random source. so what am i left with? calendar reminders? so much more time to set up vs alarm clock simple and fast setup. i get the huge snoozer on regular alarm clocks seemly forever. digital programing simplicity why would that be so much of an issue?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Volume buttons work as snooze. Reach over with eyes still closed, feel for volume button, hit. Snoozed. Don’t care at all what’s on the screen unless I want to “stop” the alarm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.