Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
just comparing specs between the 13 Pro Max and the 14 Pro Max, the ultra wide got worse this year.

Last year it was a f1.8 ultra wide and this year it’s a f2.2 ultra wide.

I know about that “Photonic Engine” Apple is talking about but they only mentioned that engine with photos, not videos

As someone whose likes to take ultra wide videos, i feel the ultra wide was downgraded this year. Or am I missing something? Let me know.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
At such a wide zoom there’s very little difference between f1.8 and f2.2. I am confident you cannot tell. I’d challenge you to tell a difference between 1.8 and 3.0 at that zoom. If this was a telephoto lens losing a stop then I could understand but it’s not concerning for a wide lens.

Reactions: chabig

NozzleDazzle

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2019
I think there's too many variables going on with a phone camera to say it's worse based on the specs. It's an aperture size, which doesn't alone make a camera worse or better. I'd rather have a bigger sensor with a .4 difference in f-stop than a smaller one, since it captures more details. Keep in mind this is not a 300mm lens either, and phone lenses are pretty heavily reliant on post-processing as it is, and we'll have to wait to see what photographers can do with this thing.

As has been the case the past few years, I'd guess improvements will be very marginal for the best of the best, and very hard to tell for amateurs.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.