Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
everywhere i hear that there is a demand for web developers and that this trend is increasing, yet im also hearing that its tough landing a job since most positions require couple of years minimum experience

also, if there is a demand, what is it due to? is there a need for more and more sophisticated websites ie with complex made functionality, and who wants these websites? isn’t there enough firms out there making such websites already? also isn’t wordpress and wix good enough for most peoples needs?

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Wordpress and Wix are vulnerability-riddled resource pigs. For a personal site or blog, sure. For a small business that has no money at all to spend on a developer, it's better than nothing. But they will always be better off having a professional web developer handle their website. Not only does it relieve them of the time burden, but a skilled dev will also be able to build a site that is faster, more flexible, and more secure than a Wordpress or Wix kludgefest.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
Wordpress and Wix are vulnerability-riddled resource pigs. For a personal site or blog, sure. For a small business that has no money at all to spend on a developer, it's better than nothing. But they will always be better off having a professional web developer handle their website. Not only does it relieve them of the time burden, but a skilled dev will also be able to build a site that is faster, more flexible, and more secure than a Wordpress or Wix kludgefest.

Interesting.

I decided to learn to code for better job prospects, but I totally demotivated myself thinking what @washburn was saying. “Why would they hire me when they can just use Squarespace?”

I feel better after reading your response, thought I still feel a bit down.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Custom functionality will always (well at least for now) require a developer to implement it. Wordpress can look lovely and perform perfectly for high traffic sites but the chances that someone bought a template, changed the colours and slapped it online is slim. Most sites built on wordpress are customised, plenty have completely custom coded functionality and many are managed by a developer.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It really depends what you mean by "web developer" and the nature of the jobs/positions.

Web doesn't necessarily mean a public facing, content delivery site (with maybe a CMS and/or simple communication/content posting features).

I use web based tech to delivery huge, enterprise class, mission critical systems for the Feds, networks of clinical researchers, etc. A vast majority of internal operational support systems use the web as a delivery mechanism, though in my examples, it's all on secure, private networks. HR systems, performance management, collaboration, analytics in research, medicine, manufacturing, training, education, you name it.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
It really depends what you mean by "web developer" and the nature of the jobs/positions.

Web doesn't necessarily mean a public facing, content delivery site (with maybe a CMS and/or simple communication/content posting features).

I use web based tech to delivery huge, enterprise class, mission critical systems for the Feds, networks of clinical researchers, etc. A vast majority of internal operational support systems use the web as a delivery mechanism, though in my examples, it's all on secure, private networks. HR systems, performance management, collaboration, analytics in research, medicine, manufacturing, training, education, you name it.

well the front end, back end or full stack and all the typical job listings that fall in this category and all the typical courses, training for ‘web developer’

but yea thanks for pointing out that there’s another side to it all

DanTheMan827

macrumors regular
May 9, 2012
Web development skills can also translate over to the desktop market as well.

Applications like VS Code, Discord and Slack are all written with HTML, CSS, and Javascript and thrown into an Electron app

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Web development skills can also translate over to the desktop market as well.

Applications like VS Code, Discord and Slack are all written with HTML, CSS, and Javascript and thrown into an Electron app

the problem with electron is that it’s a resource hog I hear

but yea seems like that’s where its going, turning a web app to run natively on desktop

Something like swift is way better performance and quality for desktop though

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I work for a large financial organization. We have teams of web developers that maintain and build and more teams of developers that work on internal websites for all sorts of tools, and systems across the countries we are in. With 200k employees 19k are listed as programmers. Most work in web technologies.

Almost every single company has a web presence. All large companies have an intranet that the public never sees but keeps the business connected and running.

Reactions: NathanCH

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
> All large companies have an intranet that the public never sees but keeps the business connected and running.

A million times this.

Most software developers work on projects that the public will never seen. Wordpress sites and websites for local businesses make up only a tiny tiny portion of the industry (and money).

Reactions: Zazoh

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
Personal websites - you don’t need to be an expert. But any business website - they’re gonna need skilled developers. You have to create a site that looks unique, and then you need to create a way for the company to easily make changes to the site when they need to. That’s where CMS comes in. Lots of applications are also on the web these days, such as Google docs, Microsoft apps running in a browser, etc. I don’t see the demand for web developers shrinking in the next 10 years. Who knows what tech will show up by 2030 though?

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
the problem with electron is that it’s a resource hog I hear

but yea seems like that’s where its going, turning a web app to run natively on desktop

Something like swift is way better performance and quality for desktop though
Native is superior. A lot of companies see ICT as a cost and economize on their apps. For small companies this might be understandable. Huge EU companies however also have apps created with web tech on computer, phone, tablet and their intranet. Is it good for the customer? No. Do these companies save money? Yes.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
It's ironic that there is a demand for Web Developers when for the past 5 years, all of the job postings I've seen say "I just need someone to manage my squarespace site".

When I went back to school in 2010 for Web Dev, it was an emerging field that still had plenty of potential to explore and play around in. By the time I graduated in 2017 with TWO degrees, the field had morphed into something that I didn't even recognize and couldn't keep up with. The industry as a whole had moved on from using WordPress as the primary builder and went to applications that I didn't even know existed. SaaS, Ruby on Rails, Python and a whole list of others had replaced what I just learned in school. And that was in the span of less than 6 years.

When I started applying for Web Dev/Design jobs, all of them asked the same thing:

"How many coding languages do you know and are you a full stack dev?".

Then I heard about all of the new online WYSIWYG builders and services like Squarespace and how cheap they were. So not only was my career as a Web Dev over before it began but I had people asking me how much I would charge to build a site vs what Squarespace would charge. Guess which one they went with...

In my experience, it is now an incredibly difficult field to break into IF you're not at the very forefront of it. It changed so rapidly that someone in my position didn't have a chance in hell to keep up if you weren't already with a company making changes to the web on a daily basis.

Reactions: washburn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.