Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
But not as ugly and near impossible to remove scratches on an Ali clamshell let alone dents on the corners

The MS fabric is remarkable resilient to stains and can be cleaned

Titanium excels in tensile strength over Ali but you will need some clever 3D printing or CNC work to get back the cross sectional area, otherwise it will easily bend if you rely on using less material to match the Ali weight.
Apple already did Titanium laptops in 2001. It was way ahead of its time.

Look's a lot better than 2021 MBP.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Apple already did Titanium laptops in 2001. It was way ahead of its time.

Look's a lot better than 2021 MBP.
Yep, not sure if it was for weight saving on the G4 :) however the poster was referring to iPhone coming in Titanium, like the G4, Nokia had a titanium phone in 2001 and Motorola has an all stainless steel one, so by the same metric both way ahead of the time :)

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
Sorry but the first post on this thread is nonsense. The chassis that Lenovo use for their entire Ideapad line is metal all over. These are mainstream laptops that sell for as low as $600. I own an Ideapad that uses a 16:10 Retina resolution screen, 1.3kg, trackpad 95% as good as a macbook, feel and finish of the metal also 95% of a macbook. The days are long gone when PC laptops were plastic rubbish. No idea what stores you are looking at.

vvrechts.jpg

Also look at Hauwei Matebook 14s. I would argue a 3:2 screen is actually even better on a laptop than a 16:10.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Sorry but the first post on this thread is nonsense. The chassis that Lenovo use for their entire Ideapad line is metal all over. These are mainstream laptops that sell for as low as $600. I own an Ideapad that uses a 16:10 Retina resolution screen, 1.3kg, trackpad 95% as good as a macbook, feel and finish of the metal also 95% of a macbook. The days are long gone when PC laptops were plastic rubbish. No idea what stores you are looking at.

vvrechts.jpg

Also look at Hauwei Matebook 14s. I would argue a 3:2 screen is actually even better on a laptop than a 16:10.

WalMart is cheap crap all over the place. I'd guess most sales are $200-$300. I was pretty surprised wandering through their computer section a while back. There are far more low-end buyers everywhere. Most of the M1 Macs I see on Craigslist are base specs.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Aluminum is the plastic of metals. Magnesium is 33% lighter than aluminum and was used 40 years ago in the Grid Compass so metal isn't new. Switching platform because of cheap metal would be one of the lower priorities for most people.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Aluminum is the plastic of metals. Magnesium is 33% lighter than aluminum and was used 40 years ago in the Grid Compass so metal isn't new. Switching platform because of cheap metal would be one of the lower priorities for most people.
Yep, agree. I want the high-end laptop industry to move to Magnesium (not just for one niche laptop) and for Apple I want them to use titanium because it is the stronger than magnesium in their MacBook Pro's.

The MacBook Air can stick to Magnesium because it's a meant to be a ultrabook.

But sadly Microsoft which used Magnesium in their surface pro line moved to aluminum. The Surface Pro 8 use's aluminum whereas the Pro 7 used Magnesium.

I would never want fabric on a laptop tho. It can tear easily, worn out easily. Good durable metals are best on laptops.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022

vvrechts.jpg

But sadly it's still lacking in other areas. For the price tho it's a great device.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Yep, not sure if it was for weight saving on the G4 :) however the poster was referring to iPhone coming in Titanium, like the G4, Nokia had a titanium phone in 2001 and Motorola has an all stainless steel one, so by the same metric both way ahead of the time :)
Yes it terms of build materials they were. I am happy apple is bringing back titanium this year. Well, I hope they do.

Stainless steel is good but the fingerprints are annoying. The titanium apple watch looks so good compared to the SS apple watch.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
But sadly it's still lacking in other areas. For the price tho it's a great device.

And which are those? Most people don't need 24 hour battery life, P3 gamut, M1 processor etc. Anyway, there are most definitely a large number of all-metal windows laptops on the mainstream market. This isn't the mid 2000s now.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
And which are those? Most people don't need 24 hour battery life, P3 gamut, M1 processor etc. Anyway, there are most definitely a large number of all-metal windows laptops on the mainstream market. This isn't the mid 2000s now.
Well first I would get a ThinkPad if I was to get a laptop from lenovo and a oled screen with more upgradeable RAM over 16GB and 12th gen intel that is i3 or i5. That laptop would easily last 5 years.

I am 100% sure the the quality of metal that Lenovo uses in their ideapads are not as high quality as their ThinkPads. I would also believe that thinkpads have more structural rigid body. These things are important to a long lasting device and people do drop laptops.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
Well first I would get a ThinkPad if I was to get a laptop from lenovo and a oled screen with more upgradeable RAM over 16GB and 12th gen intel that is i3 or i5. That laptop would easily last 5 years.

I am 100% sure the the quality of metal that Lenovo uses in their ideapads are not as high quality as their ThinkPads. I would also believe that thinkpads have more structural rigid body. These things are important to a long lasting device and people do drop laptops.

That's not really the topic of this thread. And I would definitely question if the average person needs Oled, 32GB Ram, i7/i9 - have you seen what most people actually do -email, spreadsheets, youtube! The point is that many different windows all-metal laptops are available.

I think the OP was basically trying to validate their choice of Apple, and didn't really bother finding out if their assertion was actually true or not.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My Dell XPS 13" 9380 is much sturdy and solid compared to the macbooks back in 2019.
That Linus techer on uTube always twists laptops before every review and Dell's all ways impressed him.

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
You can also give Vaio a look. Got to admire the Vaio lineup that tops out at $4,179 for a PC. Starting prices are more reasonable. With the exception of metal (they do seem to have developed a solid carbon fiber chassis that probably gives it more rigidity than others) probably meets many of OP needs.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
You can also give Vaio a look. Got to admire the Vaio lineup that tops out at $4,179 for a PC. Starting prices are more reasonable. With the exception of metal (they do seem to have developed a solid carbon fiber chassis that probably gives it more rigidity than others) probably meets many of OP needs.

This laptop is more luxurious, durable and lighter than the MacBook.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I had several of the original Sony Vaio Z's with carbon fiber bodies they were way ahead of their time but the MBA grabbed the limelight by being just the thinnest tapered laptop at the time but not the lightest given others also had CD drives etc

Reactions: conmee

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I had several of the original Sony Vaio Z's with carbon fiber bodies they were way ahead of their time but the MBA grabbed the limelight by being just the thinnest tapered laptop at the time but not the lightest given others also had CD drives etc
Sony's hardware is much better than Apple's. Heck, the PS3 and PS4 had much better hardware than both xbox 360 and xbox one.

The PS5 features custom compression techniques and when the it launched the PS5 was truly unique when compared to the xbox series X. The PS5 also comes with a M.2 user upgradeable SSDs which can also be used on PCs, again the xbox does not have this.

sorry, if this post got off topic.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Sony doesn't make PCs
Sony To Exit PC Business By Selling VAIO

As for the PS5/XBox debate, its personal preference, reviews have long stated that performance and features are nearly identical and you were a little misleading with storage upgrades. You can in fact upgrade the xbox, and its much easier then the PS5.
I would say until the 2021 MacBook Pro's, Apple's laptops were bad. The 2021 MBP has great hardware.
You can in fact upgrade the xbox, and its much easier then the PS5.
Agree but the PS5 SSD upgrade path is versatile.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013

It's funny the other day I was admiring my mother's 2013? era 15 inch Sony Vaio. The IPS screen is still very bright sharp and clear with great viewing angles, and the chasis has held up remarkably well. They put a lot of thought into building quality machines. The only thing that has been replaced is the battery.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
What the OP is looking for is at least a business-class laptop: HP EliteBook, ProBook; Dell Latitude, possibly Precision (but they're heavy) not XPS; Lenovo ThinkPad T or X series. Rugged magnesium frames and made to be man-handled and treated a little roughly. Better parts availability and better grade of parts. Not ENVY (thin metal walls on the sides and the hinges will eventually crack on the underside of the top cover) but possibly Spectre (if you get the full metal top cover) nor Inspiron nor IdeaPad (after two years, IdeaPad is usually China-sourced only).

EDIT: Oh, and a completely unrelated rant: why do OEM's still sell Windows 10 and 11 PC's with spinning hard drives??? I know they're cheaper, but the performance is simply trash in most customer use cases. I can't keep my SSD's in stock.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
EDIT: Oh, and a completely unrelated rant: why do OEM's still sell Windows 10 and 11 PC's with spinning hard drives??? I know they're cheaper, but the performance is simply trash in most customer use cases. I can't keep my SSD's in stock.

Because for your mom or great uncle Jeff or a work machine for someone doing data entry the added performance doesn't mean much vs the cost. That's like a guy who drives a $75,000 luxury vehicle asking why someone would buy a $15,000 Kia.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Because for your mom or great uncle Jeff or a work machine for someone doing data entry the added performance doesn't mean much vs the cost. That's like a guy who drives a $75,000 luxury vehicle asking why someone would buy a $15,000 Kia.
In some cases, Windows 10 calms down enough that a spinning hard drive is really enough. If many background processes are running, forget performance. McAfee and Norton, I'm looking at you! And that's exactly the kind of program a light user might install.

Reactions: venom600

amgff84

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Why is it so hard to find a Windows laptop that has the metal build quality of a MacBook.

All I want is solid cold hard metal. I don’t even care about the specs except for battery life and a high def screen. All the windows laptops in the stores are plastic or made of very thin metal that feels like plastic.

The Samsung Book Pros/Pro 360 look like a joke. Cheap feeling and only a terrible 1080p screen yet they still want £1400. They feel and look like £400 laptops.

The closest rival I have seen is the Surface. However, these still feel cheap ish especially with the suede type keyboard.

Looks like I will just have to by a M2 or M1 MacBook Air and just leave the Windows OS.

My older Aurus laptop uses steel everything except the chassis which includes the palm rest. That is a high density plastic that feels nice. The track pad is glass too. All other parts are some sort of metal, and it's an overall nice little machine. I still prefer my old MBP over it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.