Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
Due to a bunch of strange things happening, I had to use a Time Machine restore to get my machine to operate once again. I then see that it's trying to copy all of the data on my computer now, instead of just the stuff that was changed since this morning. Is there a reason why it's trying to copy everything over again, like it was a brand new machine instead of just doing the normal hourly backup. Is there any way to change this? Thank you.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Due to a bunch of strange things happening, I had to use a Time Machine restore to get my machine to operate once again. I then see that it's trying to copy all of the data on my computer now, instead of just the stuff that was changed since this morning. Is there a reason why it's trying to copy everything over again, like it was a brand new machine instead of just doing the normal hourly backup. Is there any way to change this? Thank you.

I would go with the idea you have went back to point before this morning with the restore and since this is new install to it it is going with entire full first time backup instead of incremental one.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I would go with the idea you have went back to point before this morning with the restore and since this is new install to it it is going with entire full first time backup instead of incremental one.

I did select the time machine backup from this morning, the latest one made today. But it's acting like a brand new Mac install. That's odd though. Is there any way to change this?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I did select the time machine backup from this morning, the latest one made today. But it's acting like a brand new Mac install. That's odd though. Is there any way to change this?

No clue but if that is what it is seeing then it going to continue on its merry way.

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
See the end of the page here:
[...]
You may want to immediately turn Time Machine OFF, as the next backup may be a full one, of everything you just restored, taking lots of time and disk space. On Leopard, it willbe; on Snow Leopard or later, it should be slower than usual, but only backup what's new or changed since the backup you restored. If Time Machine starts doing a full backup, cancel it immediately. You may be able to manually tell it to "associate" the restored drive with the old backups via the procedure in Troubleshooting item #B6.
[...]
http://pondini.org/TM/14.html

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I'm still confused by much of this, since the instructions aren't as clear as day. Should I try to make the Time Machine inherit the backup, or just associate it? It's the same computer, just a Time Machine restore done because the Hard Drive was unable to install OS X properly. After I clear this up, I'll be ready to go on to the next step. Thanks.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
This is odd. iTunes thought that it was a brand new computer, and it had to authorize my computer, and that I had two computers authorized, even though this is the only one authorized. Does that mean I have to do different steps now? Thank you.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
Okay, I did the associate backup, and it still has my time machine at purple updates (even the new ones). Should I attempt to do something to make it inherit the backups as well at this point, or will that be a bit too dangerous now? Thank you.

Edit: Turns out that the purple tabs are what they are supposed to be on Mavericks. It's all fixed after that backup, and we're back to regularly scheduled programming, hourly backups, and no type of full backup took place. Thanks!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Okay, I did the associate backup, and it still has my time machine at purple updates (even the new ones). Should I attempt to do something to make it inherit the backups as well at this point, or will that be a bit too dangerous now? Thank you.

Edit: Turns out that the purple tabs are what they are supposed to be on Mavericks. It's all fixed after that backup, and we're back to regularly scheduled programming, hourly backups, and no type of full backup took place. Thanks!
You're welcome. Good news! Sorry I bugged out on you. I messed with my watched threads and unwatched this one (among others). :oops: If it happens in the future, ping the member(s) like this -- @furcalchick -- or reply to one of their posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.