Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Another one about web design being awful --

Almost any store/brand website you visit now will have 3 annoying things pop up and literally obstruct the whole screen:
- Accept cookies (Can't you go anywhere on the web without cookies?)
- Get x% off for "joining the tribe" by providing your email (Why is everyone so desperate to get an email address?)
- A "Do you need help" chat window (Which of course 99% of the time there is either no one available to respond or the information that they are able to provide is useless which means wasted time should you ever fall for interacting with it.)
I’d be more concerned about website that do not have a cookie banner ;) If they break the law that easily, then why would you want to give them any business. 🤷‍♂️

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I’d be more concerned about website that do not have a cookie banner ;) If they break the law that easily, then why would you want to give them any business. 🤷‍♂️
There are sites that do it in a non obtrusive way. Many take the bottom third of the screen for it.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
There are sites that do it in a non obtrusive way. Many take the bottom third of the screen for it.
The point is that it is obtrusive, nothing else should work before you express your preference. Again, if they do it unobtrusive they are likely not doing it right and thus non-compliant.

Reactions: MacBH928

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
None of my sites have a cookie banner. It's nothing to do with "breaking the law", but I simply don't track the users in the first place!
It isn't just about tracking, there are lots of categories. It is very rare none is required, almost so rare that it is then effectively become a rather pointless website. But more importantly, how do the users know if you don't inform them!

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Like the in-n-out burger site. :)
Huh!? A collection of cookies, injected without asking. And those look like Google Analytics to me ;) And I came from a jurisdiction where they are required to do so. Nope, not following the law I'm afraid.

2024-02-02_08-08-51.png

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Another one about web design being awful --

Almost any store/brand website you visit now will have 3 annoying things pop up and literally obstruct the whole screen:
- Accept cookies (Can't you go anywhere on the web without cookies?)
- Get x% off for "joining the tribe" by providing your email (Why is everyone so desperate to get an email address?)
- A "Do you need help" chat window (Which of course 99% of the time there is either no one available to respond or the information that they are able to provide is useless which means wasted time should you ever fall for interacting with it.)
exactly,

still can't find a "private" way to get rid of those annoyances. There was an extension called i dont care about cookies but got sold to some compnay that I do not trust.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Especially the email addresses of people like me who frequently use Hide My Email!

Use a separate email address for each site that "respects your privacy" and then when you get spam, go back to that organisation and hammer them.

ZwiftInsider is a fairly annoying site for popovers appearing.

Reactions: polyphenol

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
A site I use for work has a popup telling me that "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experiences." Meanwhile, every time I open the thing I get two popups telling me how to use the site. Apparently pestering the customer with this rubbish every single time counts as the "best experience".

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
A site I use for work has a popup telling me that "This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experiences." Meanwhile, every time I open the thing I get two popups telling me how to use the site. Apparently pestering the customer with this rubbish every single time counts as the "best experience".

One thing I hate is the cookie notifications that make it extremely difficult to find the reject all. It's enough to make me reconsider dealing with whatever site has that annoyance. Maybe I don't want to buy a product from them or do business with them and might influence others to do the same.

The other thing I hate is site with elements that are moving or flashing. Auto playing videos are terrible, especially the ones with audio. Newspaper websites that autoplay content with sound are the worst. At least modern web browsers and web browser plugins allow these nuisance features to be blocked.

I also hate needlessly deep site structures - they make things hard to find.

This site https://www.etoncollege.com/ has a pretty good gathering of all the elements I hate. Look at the navigation, hidden with a hamburger control, movement that I don't like, strange page layout.

At least if you use mobile or tablet the page layout is more conventional and easier to follow.

Embedded flip book: https://www.etoncollege.com/about-us/our-strategy/

If you must, offer a PDF download, not ideal but somewhat better. Make the window mobile width and see how tiny the issuu flip-book appears with big grey blank areas above or below the actual document. I can only wonder how much money was spent on that site...

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
It's the AI created content that then informs AI on how to create content feedback loop I'm worried about.
The scenario I'm concerned about is where systems are deployed at scale and something breaks. Suddenly you have 100,000 people being locked out of their bank accounts with no way to get back in because the humans were all fired when AI was deployed.

I've made calls to my bank (a big 4 bank) where I go from one prompt to another to another, sit there on hold for 30+ minutes and there's no human being to talk to so I give up in frustration. Their website has no provision for secure messaging either.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Use a separate email address for each site that "respects your privacy" and then when you get spam, go back to that organisation and hammer them.

ZwiftInsider is a fairly annoying site for popovers appearing.
I want a Hide-my-phone-number facility, please.

There are times I want a company to have my phone number - at least temporarily - for the second factor for authentication, for updates from delivery company, etc., or simply to satisfy the site owner even if never used. (Obviously, better if they don't demand a number at all.)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
One thing I hate is the cookie notifications that make it extremely difficult to find the reject all. It's enough to make me reconsider dealing with whatever site has that annoyance. Maybe I don't want to buy a product from them or do business with them and might influence others to do the same.

The other thing I hate is site with elements that are moving or flashing. Auto playing videos are terrible, especially the ones with audio. Newspaper websites that autoplay content with sound are the worst. At least modern web browsers and web browser plugins allow these nuisance features to be blocked.

I also hate needlessly deep site structures - they make things hard to find.

This site https://www.etoncollege.com/ has a pretty good gathering of all the elements I hate. Look at the navigation, hidden with a hamburger control, movement that I don't like, strange page layout.

At least if you use mobile or tablet the page layout is more conventional and easier to follow.

Embedded flip book: https://www.etoncollege.com/about-us/our-strategy/

If you must, offer a PDF download, not ideal but somewhat better. Make the window mobile width and see how tiny the issuu flip-book appears with big grey blank areas above or below the actual document. I can only wonder how much money was spent on that site...

The question is WHY do website builders create such awful web design? its like an architect that makes an awefully designed house. Even if the customer does not know any better you should advice on best practice.

I think average joe doesn't understand function when it comes to apps and websites so they get amazed when their web designer creates a lot of moving and flashing elements.

and the annoying pop ups, do they really work? I am surprised so many shamelessly sign you up to their news letters and their pop ups. In fact it makes me NOT want to buy your product.

I want a Hide-my-phone-number facility, please.

There are times I want a company to have my phone number - at least temporarily - for the second factor for authentication, for updates from delivery company, etc., or simply to satisfy the site owner even if never used. (Obviously, better if they don't demand a number at all.)

there is some sort of Voice over IP phone numbers you can subscribe to but its monthly subscription I think

Reactions: polyphenol

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not a website today, but an email. Instead of having the content as text, they put an image of text. But not just any image: it's an animation. It stays static for a few seconds, then animates a popup window over the top of it. When you immediately click the X as we've been conditioned to do, it opens up Safari and goes to their website.

Shame on the marketing department that dreamed this up, and shame on Apple and the tech industry as a whole for allowing animations inside email in the first place.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Not a website today, but an email. Instead of having the content as text, they put an image of text. But not just any image: it's an animation. It stays static for a few seconds, then animates a popup window over the top of it. When you immediately click the X as we've been conditioned to do, it opens up Safari and goes to their website.

Shame on the marketing department that dreamed this up, and shame on Apple and the tech industry as a whole for allowing animations inside email in the first place.

its amaze me that sometimes older software is functionally better than newer software. Reminds me of the Reddit website. The new one feels like a heavy bloatload

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Indeed. I used to frequent a section of Reddit with comics in it. About a year ago the powers that be decided that the "i.redd.it" image hosting area should no longer just serve up the images, but should rather return a blob of HTML including a "footer" that tells you which Reddit discussion the image comes from... and this footer frequently covers the punchline of the comics, necessitating saving a local copy of the image and then opening it in a separate app. It's an appallingly bad user experience and has driven me away from those comics.

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Wow, OP was 2017.

And things have only gotten worse since.
Ha! Well, my original post was inspired by the abominable ios7 and flat design fad around 2013 and I think a lot of things have gotten better in website, app, and interface design since then, but there’s still a ways to go to get back to that feeling of “it just works” instead of “why did they do it that way?”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.