Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I've had different models of iPhones in the past 10 years, have used every version of iOS that has come out during that time, and have used different carriers (who all supported Wi-Fi calling) in the U.S. and abroad. At home, I've always used rock-solid high-speed Internet connections with rock-solid Wi-Fi routers (including Apple's own AirPort Extreme for a couple of years), and the cafes I've spent time in had those also.

Why, after over 10 years, is Wi-Fi Calling still only active around half the time or less when my iPhones are connected to Wi-Fi?

What gives? Is this yet another longstanding multigenerational iOS bug that Tim Cook hasn't cared to make anyone fix?

Is there even one person out there who turns on Wi-Fi Calling on his iPhone and always sees that Wi-Fi Calling is active the entire time he is on Wi-Fi?

Last edited:

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Absolutely no problem whether at home or work - actually the company building I work in, due to architectural “features”, makes it the default for everyone, because it is so reliable. This is finland btw. Ever checked the latencies on your WLans?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have the same problem. Sometimes it goes to wifi calling. Sometimes it doesn’t. It’s a mystery and I can’t figure it out. I make a point to check and if it doesn’t switch automatically, I turn on airplane mode.

Reactions: Wizec

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Why, after over 10 years, is Wi-Fi Calling still only active around half the time or less when my iPhones are connected to Wi-Fi?
I couldn’t find the thresholds on any official document but...

[...] your phone will typically default to the cellular network if it’s available.

Your phone will connect to the strongest connection available, be it WiFi or cellular.

EDIT: I guess, I don’t use/switch/discuss wireless carriers enough to have realized the obvious: the connection priority is carrier determined.

Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I've had different models of iPhones in the past 10 years, have used every version of iOS that has come out during that time, and have used different carriers (who all supported Wi-Fi calling) in the U.S. and abroad. At home, I've always used rock-solid high-speed Internet connections with rock-solid Wi-Fi routers (including Apple's own AirPort Extreme for a couple of years), and the cafes I've spent time in had those also.

What gives? Is this yet another longstanding multigenerational iOS bug that Tim Cook hasn't cared to make anyone fix?

Is there even one person out there who turns on Wi-Fi Calling on his iPhone and always sees that Wi-Fi Calling is active the entire time he is on Wi-Fi?

The logic of Wi-Fi calling makes sure it's not always enabled. Actually, the iPhone will only connect to Wi-Fi calling if it deems the cellular signal to be too poor (the exact criteria can be defined by the mobile operator via carrier bundle file AFAIK).

The only way to force Wi-Fi calling to be always enabled is to use airplane mode. It's not a bug, that's how it was designed. We could discuss on whether that's the right way of doing it, of course.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

My understanding is that this is up to the provider.

Vodafone Germany for example prioritises Wifi Calling over cellular availability, so even with 5 full bars of 5G, it will prioritise wifi calling

Telekom Germany meanwhile prioritises cellular and thus, my Wifi Calling only "appears" if I have really bad cellular service while on wifi.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
*raises hand*

It works perfectly for me. I take multiple calls/day on a couple of phones, both are using Wi-Fi calling and it's flawless.

However....
When Wi-Fi calling first appeared, there was nothing I could do to make it connect on my personal phone. It worked perfectly on my work phone and we were both on the same networks. I spent literally hours either in the EE shop or on the phone to their support team trying to sort it and we went through every setting on the phone that could be related and all the available add-ons on the network to make sure it was enabled.
After weeks of trying, the local shop suggested that as a long shot, they'd get me a new SIM because the one I had was years old.
The new SIM turned up, I called them to activate it, waited until service vanished from my phone, swapped the SIM and that fixed it. I've never had a problem since.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Also *raises hand*

Carrier is O2-Germany. WiFi calling enabled in carrier settings on the iPhone. The moment a good WiFi-connection is available, the iPhone automatically switches to WiFi calling. If i leave the WiFi coverage, the phone seamlessly switches back to LTE/5G.

When i'm abroad in a hotel using WiFi calling, i can phone home to Germany at rates as if i'm calling from Germany. Nice feature!

[edit]
I also have friends living in an area with effectively zero mobile coverage, even no emergency calling available, but they have rock solid WiFi. So when i'm visiting them, i was normally not reachable via iPhone, now this is no Problem anymore.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
For the most part it’s better for the phone to not use WiFi calling if there is a strong cellular signal since WiFi can be unpredictable and is subject to interference. Not to mention other network traffic can result in poor call quality.

WiFi calling is there as a backup for cases where the cell signal is poor or non-existent or the phone is roaming.

At home, where I’m within 500 yards of a cell tower, my phone never uses WiFi calling. Then again my 5G+ speeds are equal to or better than my WiFi Internet speeds there.

At my parent’s house where I get 2 bars, my phone is always on WiFi calling.

Beligerent

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Concord, NH
Absolutely no problem whether at home or work - actually the company building I work in, due to architectural “features”, makes it the default for everyone, because it is so reliable. This is finland btw. Ever checked the latencies on your WLans?
I Love Finland! Hello my friend

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't care if wifi calling is active ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as long as I can make & receive calls.

I do know that it's active at home, where my mobile signal is a bit "Spotty" at best. Everywhere else, I let iOS decide whether to use wifi or mobile.

Reactions: xpxp2002

Infinion.

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
Yes that's me, both my phones use WiFi calling 99+% of the time. I live and work in a rural area, with only one bar of signal strength max on either network.
Same here, wifi calling is always active on my iPhone when I am at home, seems EE/BT keep moving the transmitter close to me (on top of a block of flats) so I am in a signal black spot down stairs but if I go upstairs I have near full signal!

I use wifi calling on my MacBook M1 and wow is it unreliable, at the moment it's allowing calls but I can not hear the other person although they can hear me and then after 20 seconds the call drops! :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: AstonSmith

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Yes.
I live in a rural area and seldom see more than three bars cell.
Mint Mobile (my carrier - runs on T-Mobile network) allows prioritizing which is set to WiFI. I do this for both my iPhone and Android devices.

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2017
The logic of Wi-Fi calling makes sure it's not always enabled. Actually, the iPhone will only connect to Wi-Fi calling if it deems the cellular signal to be too poor (the exact criteria can be defined by the mobile operator via carrier bundle file AFAIK).

The only way to force Wi-Fi calling to be always enabled is to use airplane mode. It's not a bug, that's how it was designed. We could discuss on whether that's the right way of doing it, of course.
But it doesn’t work in airplane mode

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2017
Surely it works, you simply have to one time manually enable WiFi after enabling flight mode.
Next time you switch to flight mode, WiFi keeps enabled and WiFi calling works.
It doesn’t work in my case,it seems to be carrier controlled because some carriers do allow wifi calling in the airplane mode and some don’t

Infinion.

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2024
It doesn’t work in my case,it seems to be carrier controlled because some carriers do allow wifi calling in the airplane mode and some don’t
In my case it works with airplane mode on and used to operate in normal mode but only when required like if the signal was down to 1 bar but these days even with the signal at 3 or more bars the phone just defaults to wifi calling and is enabled all the time, I have also noticed it stays on even if I am upstairs where I get full signal as well. Wifi Calling works for my iPhone but my MacBook is at the moment very hit and miss, I hope it gets resolved soon.

Reactions: Nadeem_Guroo

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2017
In my case it works with airplane mode on and used to operate in normal mode but only when required like if the signal was down to 1 bar but these days even with the signal at 3 or more bars the phone just defaults to wifi calling and is enabled all the time, I have also noticed it stays on even if I am upstairs where I get full signal as well. Wifi Calling works for my iPhone but my MacBook is at the moment very hit and miss, I hope it gets resolved soon.
It was same for me a couple of years back and since than i can latch to wifi calling only when the cellular coverage is weak but that shouldn’t be the case,it should be working all the time while connected to wifi and in airplane mode as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.