Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Oh no, not again!!!!

... can you say, "I should have used the search button" ...

soilchmst

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Money :(
I'm sorry that we all forget this point. Apple is a company, which we love dearly, but must please the shareholders. They will put the most economical package that will sell and make them a profit (and hopefully will not loose their base).

I think Apple may be clearing out the processors to move to quad Power4's with true DDR, terabyte HD's, a bulit in video subsystem from nVida which will come with a free cinema display (to make room for the new 50 HD flat panels) for about 2000 bucks ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Too easy

This one wouldn't be any fun at all ... and with the ;) it would be a waste of ammo.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Old inventory - hogwash...

Somehow I doubt that Apple has a ton of "old" 1 Ghz G4s hanging around...

More than likely, there aren't enough of the newer processor to make the switch, yet.

Remember, we're talking about Motorola making the processors here...

Here's to hoping that all that rumored wattage and cooling capacity is really for a Power4 at MW.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by soilchmst

I think Apple may be clearing out the processors to move to quad Power4's with true DDR, terabyte HD's, a bulit in video subsystem from nVida which will come with a free cinema display (to make room for the new 50 HD flat panels) for about 2000 bucks ;)

oh yeah, sure - free cinema displays - and what are you talking about 50 HD flat panels? is that 50" High Definition Flat Panels?

if you were going for sarcasm you should use the :rolleyes: , ;) isn't strong enough......

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Old inventory - hogwash...

Originally posted by oldMac
Somehow I doubt that Apple has a ton of "old" 1 Ghz G4s hanging around...

More than likely, there aren't enough of the newer processor to make the switch, yet.

Remember, we're talking about Motorola making the processors here...

Here's to hoping that all that rumored wattage and cooling capacity is really for a Power4 at MW.
Here's something to think about.

We all agree that the current dual-gigs (and probably the dual-1.25's) don't need all that cooling and electrical power that is included in the mirror chassis, right? OK, now people are saying that it's because this chassis will be used for the new (power hungry and hot) G5's/Power4s.

So is it wise to put these fans and heavy duty power supply for the current PowerMacs when it's not needed? The cost will increase (good assumption) and the noise level is high (according to posts).

Something doesn't add up here. And me without my calculator ...

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Explanation...

Apple built an entirely new enclosure without a new processor. They probably didn't do this if they only intended to upgrade to something better, right?

My guess is that whatever they had originally planned didn't pan out in the time frame that they hoped for.

Whether it be a new processor (G5?) or some revision on the existing formula (quad processor G4s?), Apple clearly intends to put something that uses a lot more power in these cases.

Even if they intend to keep the old G4s in these new cases for a while, it still might make economic sense to move to a single case with over-rated power supply. That can certainly be cheaper than supporting the manufacturing costs of two completely different, Apple-custom, case designs.

The other reason might be that Apple intends to offer "upgrades" to the G5 for users who have purchased one of these new G4 machines. It would simplify the upgrade program costs (and dangers) if it didn't require a power supply replacement.

soilchmst

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet

if you were going for sarcasm you should use the :rolleyes: , ;) isn't strong enough......

Thanks for the advice. I will watch the smiles next time

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Explanation...

Originally posted by oldMac
Apple built an entirely new enclosure without a new processor. They probably didn't do this if they only intended to upgrade to something better, right?

My guess is that whatever they had originally planned didn't pan out in the time frame that they hoped for.

Whether it be a new processor (G5?) or some revision on the existing formula (quad processor G4s?), Apple clearly intends to put something that uses a lot more power in these cases.

Even if they intend to keep the old G4s in these new cases for a while, it still might make economic sense to move to a single case with over-rated power supply. That can certainly be cheaper than supporting the manufacturing costs of two completely different, Apple-custom, case designs.

The other reason might be that Apple intends to offer "upgrades" to the G5 for users who have purchased one of these new G4 machines. It would simplify the upgrade program costs (and dangers) if it didn't require a power supply replacement.
Hmm, hadn't thought about the "chip upgrade" scenario. That's a good one.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: Old inventory - hogwash...

Originally posted by ftaok
Here's something to think about.

We all agree that the current dual-gigs (and probably the dual-1.25's) don't need all that cooling and electrical power that is included in the mirror chassis, right? OK, now people are saying that it's because this chassis will be used for the new (power hungry and hot) G5's/Power4s.

So is it wise to put these fans and heavy duty power supply for the current PowerMacs when it's not needed? The cost will increase (good assumption) and the noise level is high (according to posts).

Something doesn't add up here. And me without my calculator ...

The new 7455 processors rate in at 21.3-30W @ 1GHz each.

It isn't even listed but the faster version will probably be close to 25-35W @ 1.25GHz.

This is just for the processor chips alone, this doesn't include the daughtercard power supply, the cache, resistors, support chips, etc.

Sure this is on the .18 process right now, and switching to .13 or .10 will cut power & heat, but at the rate Motorola is running things they'll most likely release the 1.4GHz machine under .18 and you'll be darn close to 28-40W of power sucking might.

Are you sure that this MHz growth could have been accomodated in the QS case?

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: Re: Re: Explanation...

Originally posted by iN8

Maybe this is where "Junkyard" comes into play.
so no upgrade for my 933 i take it...this is why im beginning to dislike apples style...why cant i buy a new mobo? new processor? anything that i do to my computer would require soldering...forget upgrading my processor through PCI cards...i dont see how a 1ghz PCI card running through a 33mhz bus would do any good??? someone please tell me i can upgrade my machine. btw WTF do we have no 5.1 capability...this tech is old as F*CK and apple's still BSing with stereo inputs...if only os x ran on a pc :eek: can u imagine building your own custom PM? just buy the case from apple and install whatever internals you want...oooh...drool....

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by soilchmst

It's not like Apple is sitting on tons of processors. They buy from Motorola. Motorla may or may not be sitting on processors... but it's non of Apple's concern.

The reason why the 7470 isn't used is that the 7470 is a figment of your imagination. It does not exist.

arn

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
Overclocked

why won't anyone just admit that the only reason the new cases have such big fans, heatsinks, and vents is simply because they are overclocked 7455s that need the extra cooling?

whenever the G5s (Power4 or something else) come out they will most likely have a completely new case design to match Apple's contemporary use of brushed metal for pro machines and white translucent plastic for consumer.

the new cases seem to me to be an interim solution until better processors are available... or maybe not.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by arn

The reason why the 7470 isn't used is that the 7470 is a figment of your imagination. It does not exist.

arn

Does this mean that they have just managed to scale the 7440 to 1.25GHz? That sounds VERY inefficient but I am no processor guru

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

Does this mean that they have just managed to scale the 7440 to 1.25GHz? That sounds VERY inefficient but I am no processor guru

Why is it inefficient? Processors get faster... they don't introduce new chipsets for every incremental speed increase.

arn

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by arn

Why is it inefficient? Processors get faster... they don't introduce new chipsets for every incremental speed increase.

arn

Like I said, I am definately no processor guru but I was under the impression that the 7440 was to scale to 1GHz and, if that is true, it sounds like they have hit their limit and said "****, we had better push a little more out of this".

It would also explain why the 1.25 is taking so long to be shipped... they have hit the cutting edge of their technology and then pushed a little further therefore making the success rate of each wafer significantly hindered.

I would never dream of switching from Apple to a PC company but I would also not buy one of new machines given:
1) I do not NEED a new machine, I WANT a new machine; and
2) since I do not NEED a new machine, I might as well wait until something comes out in the Powermac range that makes me go "WOW".... just like I did when they first released the PMG3 and the same with the first PMG4.... I thought the QS case was really fancy too but a case alone can not knock me on my feet.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

Like I said, I am definately no processor guru but I was under the impression that the 7440 was to scale to 1GHz and, if that is true

You are incorrect.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/29.motorola.php

This is immediately after the 1GHz G4 came out:

It is important to note that this is only the first installment in this processor family. "The big news here is that this device is certainly not topped out," said Swearingen. Mac users can reasonably expect incremental performance increases from this processor family in the future, taking Apollo to its promised GHz+ performance levels. Swearingen could not comment on when these increments will come or what size they will be. The Apollo G4s are available now at speeds between 600MHz and 1GHz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.