Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. MacBook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
I dont understand.

The Mac Pro has 4 nVidia GeForce 7300GTs, so how is that not SLI?

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
SLI is multiple cards working as one effectively doubling the performance but they have to be hooked to each other inside the machine (SLI) or hooked up with an external cable (crossfire) it's not just that. The cards also have to have a supporting chipset and a driver that supports it. There has been scattered reports of some people getting the 7300Gt's to work is a software supported SLI with a driver hack. The 7300's are 1 example of an Nvidia card that does not need the physical connection to each other.

Just because the Mac Pro has 4 slots does not mean it should support SLI. The Mac Pro uses an intel 5000x chipset that was not designed to support SLI the 5000x was designed to be a workstation/server chipset.

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
If you for some reason you have 4 moniters, each 7300 will power a moniter. Atleast thats what I heard, so don't yell at me if im wrong. :p

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
I heard somewhere on MacRumors that the next Mac Pro update might have SLI support.

I heard that, but not on macrumers. It was on the apple website forums. BTW any Q's that cant be answered here go to the Apple Forums. Very nice people and USUALLY quick responds.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
The reason to have 4 7300s is if you want to run 8 monitors. So up to 4 30" and 4 23". Now why you would need that much screen real-estate is beyond me.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.