Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OPTiK

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
This is one of the main reasons I'm buying an iPad.

How well does XBMC work in the iPad? Do you suffer from the "buffering" problems that the ATV has?

Thanks.:)

I'd also like to know how he is playing 1080p without lag... i tried playing 720p via xbmc on my ipad 1 and it stutters like whoa.. I have a new n-wireless router that does about 1.6mb/s avg (5Ghz) so i'm not sure if thats the bottleneck.

saniko

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
Reasons to Jailbreak:
- MyWi or TetherMe if you have a good 3G dataplan on your iPad
- SBSettings (with 3G unrestrictor and remove background add-ons) for one swipe to access all your common settings. I like having the option to close all background applications with one button. 3G Unrestrictor gets over the 200mb cap for downloads of applications etc. over 3G
- Intelliscreen to give your lockscreen access to your calendar information and RSS feeds
- Themes
- Additional icons on your taskbar and multitasker
- I think VLC is now only available via Cydia. Some Nokia engineer had it removed from the regular App Store
- I have never experienced speed loss from a jailbreak

There is a lot of additional functionality available via jailbreaking. If an untethered jailbreak is available (like there was in 4.2.1), it's worth doing.

maw4bc

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2009
I'm a Hobbyist Photographer and I Jailbreak so I can do this in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84EpXXcG_o

Wow, that is amazing! Had no idea you could do something like that. I just ordered a refurbed iPad1 16GB. I currently have all kinds of apple products(MBP,ACD,MB,ATV1,ATV2), iPhone up until the Sprint EVO came out and the Android OS is a winner hands. The customization, for a tech dork like me, is what puts it over the top. I can't wait to JB my iPad1 and see what I can do with the thing. I am sure you will see me on here asking way too many questions, so please be patient :D

Just to add to what everyone else has said. My main reason for JB'ing the iPad is so that I am not restricted to iTunes. Having a file system, being able to use a USB, changing the backgrounds and icons, better multitasking, etc.

To me iOS is for your average consumer, someone who wants things SIMPLE. "Plug my iPad into my computer, snyc, viola everything is good". Android OS is more for people like me, I want to be able to use it how I want to use it. The EVO/Android OS really opened me up to the possibilities of these devices. But until someone makes an android tablet up to par with iPad I will be rockin the JB iPad.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Don't have an iPad yet, but thinking about getting one soon. Maybe a refurbished 1st gen. I have a jailbroken (rooted) HTC desire running Cyanogenmod 7 which features a built-in personal 3G hotspot. Can I just run a non jailbroken ipad off of that 3G connection? It works with my non jb ipod touch (1st gen). I too will be an ipad newbie soon.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Don't have an iPad yet, but thinking about getting one soon. Maybe a refurbished 1st gen. I have a jailbroken (rooted) HTC desire running Cyanogenmod 7 which features a built-in personal 3G hotspot. Can I just run a non jailbroken ipad off of that 3G connection? It works with my non jb ipod touch (1st gen). I too will be an ipad newbie soon.

Yeah, I use my HTC Inspire's stock WiFi Hotspot to provide internet to my iPad :) Works great.

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic
One single reason to jailbreak iPad is Mark Read to mark all e-mails as read. My work e-mail is pop3. How could Apple not include this is beyond me.

SonGoku v2.5

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
I accidentally my 4.2.1 JB a few days ago, so the 4.3.1 JB is more than needed for me. Why? I HATE the look of Apple's folder implementation. Not only do the folders themselves look ugly due to it only being an image of 9 icons, but the limitation of only 20 apps per folder as well as the background cracking when you open the folder is just painfully ugly.

I need my CategoriesSB back NOW.:D In fact, I wouldn't jailbreak at all anymore if Apple literally lifted everything about Categories and added it to iOS. I love the unlimited apps I can put in each folder, that my background stays in tact, and that I choose the icon for each folder.

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Ultimately if you must ask why, then you don't need it, in my opinion. :) when you need it there is no need to ask why... Not everyone needs a van, or a 4by4, those that actually need them know why, and don't really need someone else to tell them why in my experience.

Well said!

Hear, Hear!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I can share my 3G connection from my iphone 4 to the ipad without JB. We can all do it since it comes with 4.3.

That was my only reason to JB. Now thats its official no need to JB anymore.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
There's lots of reasons. What it requires is searching. Reading.

Some circles call this research. An age old tactic that is done on your own, not something others do for you.

While asking questions can be a great research tool, starting a new thread because you know nothing and waiting for others to fill in the blanks for you, is useless.

Also starting your post with, " I see no reason to jb the iPad" implies that youve looked at It, and found nothing...which is impossible.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I can share my 3G connection from my iphone 4 to the ipad without JB. We can all do it since it comes with 4.3.

No need? Get a frigging clue. You're suggesting it's somehow a good idea to 1) drop your unlimited data plan that you can never get back..2) pay $15 a month more, for less data..

Nope. 4.3's Personal Hotspot is for suckers only.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ

You do realize you have to pay for that right? If you jailbreak your service provider has no idea whether you are using your phone as a hotspot or not. And you get to keep your unlimited data if you are grandfathered into it. I don't think you thought this one out very well.

g.fabian

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
I did not JB my first gen ipad and I am not planning on JB the Ipad 2 as I don't want it to be any slower. I like the speed and as I know from my itouch, the thing lags when I JB it.

Really, its the free apps that are the difference between yes and no even if people don't admit it.

I had a first gen apple iPad and I jailbroke it an NEVER saw any lag. And as an interesting side note: When I went to sell it on craigslist a week or so ago, it got a lot more attention and consequently sold for more then I expected to get it for simply because it WAS jailbroken.
:apple:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
You do realize you have to pay for that right? If you jailbreak your service provider has no idea whether you are using your phone as a hotspot or not. And you get to keep your unlimited data if you are grandfathered into it. I don't think you thought this one out very well.

only if u r in the US getting ripped off twice for the same thing :p here i can use my tethering without additional charge

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The big one is WiFi tethering so you don't need to plug in your iPad to sync with iTunes.

Can you explain this a little? I know about tethering, where I've jail broken my iPhone 4 and I use that as a wireless modem to connect my IPad 2. However, is what you mentioned about different?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
^
I think they're misusing the word "tether" to refer to the wifi syncing that's coming on iOS 5. Actual tethering (i.e. using a iPhone/iPad as a EDGE/3G modem) is something that one does with great caution nowdays (at least on AT&T).

XBMC - Lay in bed at night and watch my 1080p rips without stuttering and having to dee code them as separate files from my HTPC. Definitely needs an iOS interface, though.

This is a HUGE reason to jailbreak the iPad.

For me, things like SBSettings which are absolutely essential on the iPhone are less useful on the iPad (which 1) has better battery life and 2) isn't used for very short periods, so requires less on-the-go manipulation of 3G, location services and other settings).

However, for anyone using the iPad as a portable video player, the insanely powerful (and free!) XBMC is essential and beats the pants off any App Store player. (720p playback stutters on the iPad 1, but that seems like a hardware limitation.) The fact that you can add an array of high quality streaming TV and movie sources (of dubious legality, it has to be said) is amazing. The auto-populating movie/TV info/banner/thumbnail magic is just icing on the cake, as is the bonus of being able to simply point it to different apps' documents (say, AVPlayer HD) folders as sources, so you don't have to have multiple copies of files or set up fiddly symlinks.

As far as an iOS interface goes, between the single swipe left gesture, the double tap, and PM3.HD skin, you've got an attractive and perfectly functional (albeit not always intuitive) interface. A more minimalist option I like is the xTV-SAF skin. Joggler works too, but has some horrendously ugly UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.