Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I found it very difficult to make purchase decisions based on their news and predictions. Can't they post only when they are certain that things will happen?

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I found it very difficult to make purchase decisions based on their news and predictions. Can't they post only when they are certain that things will happen?
I know exactly what you mean! Just last week, while walking through the financial center downtown, I met this nice old lady who was wearing robes and carrying a crystal ball and who smelled slightly of cabbage.

"Come here, sonny, let me tell you the future for the next year or so," she said. So I gave her the $15 I was going to spend on Chipotle, and she stared into her crystal ball and gave me a year's worth of important information on all sorts of juicy financial secrets. 🔮

(future real estate trends, stock market predictions, why I'd never seen millions of dollars worth come pouring out of a ball since Tom Brady got involved in Deflategate 🏈)

Well, I figured I'd make a killing off all that juicy financial information. But when I was going to Chipotle earlier this week and met the same old lady, and when I gave her another Chipotle burrito + guac's worth of money, she gave me completely different information! 😠

Honestly, is it too much to ask that when people stare into their crystal ball and predict the future so I can spend money based on their predictions, that they at least predict things accurately?! :mad:

(and worst of all, I missed out on two days worth of Chipotle burritos and guac)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
They're sharing opinions and guesses. That's all they have. As Tim Cook has stated in the past, you can't judge what Apple is doing based on one supplier's action(s). These leakers are doing just that.

For example: Just because Apple hasn't updated the iMac in a long time, OS beta files contain a code number for an unreleased Mac, and some supplier somewhere on the other side of the world who happens to be a company that supplies Apple for (whatever) happens to be working on a 32" display, doesn't mean that Apple will be releasing a 32" iMac soon.

I remember years ago there was a rumor making the rounds about Apple developing a design app to compete with Adobe InDesign. They had patent sketches of the GUI, and all the "evidence" to make rumor mongers sure of it. I happened to know when that rumor came out exactly what they thought was this InDesign competitor. It was the design portion of Apple's ad builder app for (I can't remember exactly, I think it was iTunes store).

The short story is: Don't base your current buying decisions on anyone or anything other than what Apple actually SHIPS. Not announces, but actually ships. Apple has announced more than a few things that either ship much later than they announced or never at all. Remember the charging pad they ANNOUNCED, but never shipped?

Reactions: hajime and dz5b609

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I found it very difficult to make purchase decisions based on their news and predictions
I bolded the important bit for you. The keyword is prediction. Apple provides very little information with regard to future products and their potential release date. As such, we get wild guesses, sometimes they're right many times they're not.

I think overall, this is why MR's buyer's guide is helpful. Its a guide and provides context as to when prior releases occurred and when a potential new update could be getting close. There's also certain times of the year you want to hold off on buying an apple product. The time around WWDC, September and October are typically popular times for Apple to release updates.

Reactions: hajime

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The simple answer is to not make purchasing decisions on unsubstantiated rumours. Until something is publically announced (and sometimes not even then) it's not final.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.