Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
Everyone's going ape over Apple not bringing out MBP's with Core 2 Merom, what about the low voltage woodcrest's? Wouldn't that unify the 'pro' mac kit in a more approprite way?

I hope they put nvidia cards in the new models, ATI are a piece of crap when it comes to Maya...

:eek:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Meroms are built for laptops and are thus more power efficient than any woodcrest.

Meroms are also smaller than woodcrest, well the packaging is anyway. Woodcrest would take up more space.

Meroms are 64-bit which in X86 terms gives a speed boost because of the extra registers.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Plus, Merom is a drop in replacement for the current shipping Yonahs in everything but the Woodcrest based Mac Pros.

I still wonder if we'll see any Conroe Macs.

B

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
It is actually Core 2 Duo. Merom is a different chip. Woodcrest are xeon and are not low power. ATI is good for games...as for why merom? Lower power than core 2 duo but offers 20% more performance than the current Core Duo. Smaler than core 2 duo.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
but i'm talking about Low voltage woodcrests, from a marketing point of view it would unify the 'pro' mac arena and offer something no one else has on the table.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
TBi said:
Meroms are built for laptops and are thus more power efficient than any woodcrest.

Meroms are also smaller than woodcrest, well the packaging is anyway. Woodcrest would take up more space.

Meroms are 64-bit which in X86 terms gives a speed boost because of the extra registers.

I agree with all your points, except for the last one - isn't Woodcrest 64-bit too???

donbadman said:
but i'm talking about Low voltage woodcrests, from a marketing point of view it would unify the 'pro' mac arena and offer something no one else has on the table.

Do you have a link to these processors and their prices/specifications?

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
balamw said:
Plus, Merom is a drop in replacement for the current shipping Yonahs in everything but the Woodcrest based Mac Pros.

I still wonder if we'll see any Conroe Macs.

B
I dont think we will anytime soon but that would be good.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
They're all the same architecture - Core 2, it's more a marketing thing than anything else.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
donbadman said:
They're all the same architecture - Core 2, it's more a marketing thing than anything else.

Woodcrests/Merom/Conroe are not pin-compatible, so I don't think they're the same architecture...:confused: :confused: :confused:

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
here's some info on the LV Xeon 5100's:
link
Plus the 1333Mhz FSB is sure to make some difference, plus it's only 40 W TDP.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
donbadman said:
link

So they have a 40 W usage; isn't the Core Duo closer to 30 W?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
I agree with all your points, except for the last one - isn't Woodcrest 64-bit too???
I meant against the yonah. :S

AvSRoCkCO1067 said:
Woodcrests/Merom/Conroe are not pin-compatible, so I don't think they're the same architecture...:confused: :confused: :confused:

Intel just wire them out differently, they are basically all the same inside.

donbadman said:
link

Now go look at how much power the chipsets for these CPU's use. Not to mention the power needed to run FB-DIMMS. Have you seen the heatsinks required for the Mac Pro's FB-DIMMS? How do you think an already hot MBP will handle that much extra heat? Woodcrest only works with FB-DIMMS.

Merom is part of a full package. The chipset is low power as is the memory.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
My God, is there any other suject more beat to death than this. I wish they'd release the fracking Merom-based products already.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
donbadman said:
not too sure but it would be fun to see ;)

Not too much fun when you only have 1 hour battery life because of your power sucking chipset and ram. Faster bus means more power needed.

Also not so much fun when your already hot MBP starts burning your skin because those FB-DIMMS run so darned hot.

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
iGary said:
My God, is there any other suject more beat to death than this. I wish they'd release the fracking Merom-based products already.
I know the merom things been doen to death but thought i'd throw a spanner in the works with the LV woodcrest's, after all you would have thought they'd have the Merom MBP's available for pre-order by now! :eek:

donbadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
London
TBi said:
Not too much fun when you only have 1 hour battery life because of your power sucking chipset and ram. Faster bus means more power needed.

Also not so much fun when your already hot MBP starts burning your skin because those FB-DIMMS run so darned hot.
Wot like the hindenbooks? :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
donbadman said:
Wot like the hindenbooks? :D
Imagine the size of the lead acid battery pack if the Mac Pro is currenty overloading 1500VA/865W UPSs.

Just mount the darn thing to your golf cart and drive that around for a 3-5 hour battery life.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I remember hearing the Meroms are having difficulties regarding higher operating temperatures and less than impressive operating speeds. Perhaps this is why it is taking so long.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Can we get a ban on threads containing "merom" until like the 16th or so?

This is seriously out of hand. Everyday, "merom this" "merom that". I know we have free speech and all that. Having that comes with the responsibility of knowing when to shut up.

You all know something will be done next week. Maybe even tomorrow. So just leave it alone until it happens.

Then you can discuss it and whine. GAWD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.