Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warnergt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
I have a folder which holds many other folders for various topics. These contain articles that I need to reference.
When Spotlight is working, it is great. I can find relevant topics quickly -- infinitely faster than a Windows search.
However, these searches only work for months (perhaps weeks) before they don't work.
I can't find documents with a certain name even if I am looking directly at the document in the Finder.
Once I rebuild the Spotlight index, it all works again.

What is up with this? It is extremely annoying.
And this problem isn't just Monterey. This goes back for a pretty long time.

I'm using a Mac Pro 2019 with Monterey (v 12.4).

warnergt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
I have a folder which holds many other folders for various topics. These contain articles that I need to reference.
When Spotlight is working, it is great. I can find relevant topics quickly -- infinitely faster than a Windows search.
However, these searches only work for months (perhaps weeks) before they don't work.
I can't find documents with a certain name even if I am looking directly at the document in the Finder.
Once I rebuild the Spotlight index, it all works again.

What is up with this? It is extremely annoying.
And this problem isn't just Monterey. This goes back for a pretty long time.

I'm using a Mac Pro 2019 with Monterey (v 12.4).
By the way, this problem is not specific to the folder I am talking about. It is a problem for the entire disk directory. I only noted this scenario as it is the point of greatest irritation to me.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I found spotlight to be "extremely annoying" from the time Apple first introduced it.

So... my solution was to TURN OFF spotlight, forever.

And that's what I've done with every Mac I've owned, since.

No spotlight here, at all.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
It's amazing that Apple has not made improvements to Spotlight after all these years. I rarely have the need to use it, but for those needing a good file search app, you'll have to go elsewhere.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't think I've ever seen a decent explanation of why the Spotlight indexes get weird.

I leave my Mac on overnight so that Carbon Copy Cloner can do its thing. I'm considering trying to add a launchd/Applescript process that would rebuild the Spotlight index, also.

Reactions: warnergt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.