Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Almost everything about Apple has some type of rumor/leak and most of the time it is true. But never (except accidental leak of 10.5) for Logic Pro.
Is it because it has a separate small developer team or because of lack of general interest? Same goes for Final Cut Pro.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Doesn't have the mass appeal of the hardware and the OS's. You only have to look at the view-count round here.
That and how you can virtually feel people's eyes gaze over from a thousand miles away on the main MR forums the minute you mention music production.

More people are into video than audio, so any leaks at all would be FCP related rather than LPX.
I'm just thankful when we get updates at all, because compared to the OS's and hardware there must be like one geek working on the LPX dev team, coding from his bedroom. Ok not really but in relative terms.

• Haha
Reactions: loby and rondo

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Doesn't have the mass appeal of the hardware and the OS's. You only have to look at the view-count round here.
That and how you can virtually feel people's eyes gaze over from a thousand miles away on the main MR forums the minute you mention music production.

More people are into video than audio, so any leaks at all would be FCP related rather than LPX.
I'm just thankful when we get updates at all, because compared to the OS's and hardware there must be like one geek working on the LPX dev team, coding from his bedroom. Ok not really but in relative terms.
Because Apple's creative software suite has taken a backseat. Not just LPX, look at the state of the iWork, they killed the Aperture, and so on. Apple used to promote this a lot before, their message was: "Mac is for creative people".

Now they are not singing that mantra so much anymore. No one is gonna tell you this straight in your face, most certainly not the Apple, you have to look at the clues to realize what is going on.

You either accept this new reality or you turn to something else.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Because Apple's creative software suite has taken a backseat. Not just LPX, look at the state of the iWork, they killed the Aperture, and so on. Apple used to promote this a lot before, their message was: "Mac is for creative people".
I suppose, but they've still done interesting work on Logic in recent years. They haven't exactly reinvented the wheel on it or done anything terribly groundbreaking on it lately, but I'm not sure they've really needed to either. LPX has felt very "complete" for many years. In a purely anecdotal kind of way, I'm almost kinda glad it's not much of a moving target these days, makes my life easier as a musician and means there's less change and instability to get used to on each release.

Can't really speak for Final Cut Pro or any of their other software though. I've definitely heard many mixed reviews on it. I certainly do hope that Apple doesn't put creative software on the back burner, since this is one of Mac's biggest markets and one of the biggest selling points for the ecosystem.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Truth is we're really upto probably Logic 15 if you compare all the enhancements that have been added for free between 10.0 and 10.7 and compare those to what competitors consider to be worthy of a major revision. In fact even if you look at what constituted a major revision between Logic 6-7, 7-8 and 8-9.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
Your right probably a small team the lack of development is really showing now in LPX, I'd say it lags behind the most amongst most modern DAW's nowadays. They try to do things differently but really it's dated and lacks a lot of features apps like Studio One, Pro Tools & Cubase has. Having said that it's super cheap in comparison, so probably why it may have so little development, possibly Apple are happy with students & home users rather than the pro's besides it still has a few big name artists like Billy Eiliish & Jacob Collier

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
What must-have big features is it missing though?
Compared to the likes of ProTools, if you are an in-the-box musician Logic Pro blows it out the water in terms of the synths and effects you get for free. And some of the effects are good enough to sell for $200 on their own, such as Chromaverb and Space Designer.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Compared to the likes of ProTools, if you are an in-the-box musician Logic Pro blows it out the water in terms of the synths and effects you get for free. And some of the effects are good enough to sell for $200 on their own, such as Chromaverb and Space Designer.
The effects and software instruments are one of the biggest reasons I use Logic. I have had to purchase almost nothing to have a complete setup.

Cubase is also very nice (I purchased Artist and use it from time to time), but you have to pay much more to get an equivalent range of included content.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
The effects and software instruments are one of the biggest reasons I use Logic. I have had to purchase almost nothing to have a complete setup.

Cubase is also very nice (I purchased Artist and use it from time to time), but you have to pay much more to get an equivalent range of included content.
Agreed. There's a point of view that no opinion is wrong, but I'd be interested to know what makes it 'really dated' and what 'lot of features' are missing. I've actually used most DAWS, certainly the most popular ones, and as an off-the-shelf package for in-the-box music production I've not seen anything that betters Logic Pro. I prefer some of the workflows in ProTools for recording and producing real instruments, and if I was a PC person I could happily use Studio One, but to insinuate Logic Pro is only fit for students and home users needs some justification IMO.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

rondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
32bit float support
Plugin Search
Track Search
Proper nested folders.
Automation Shapes
Advanced Export Track Options (With sends, master fx)
True plugin disable on aux and master track for latency and cpu saving.
More rapid browser.
More rapid audio engine.
Drag copy sends
Name busses per project, not just global.
Re arrange channels in mixer.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
This is going to be very subjective because a 'must-have big feature' to one person could be something the next person never uses, but to me none of those to me are 'must-have big features', and some of which you can already do. You presumably know you can already drag the channels around in the mixer, so you must mean something other than what I think you mean. Also the naming of busses is already project-dependent, but you must know that, so again you must mean something different to what I think you mean.

chipandegg

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
UK
This is going to be very subjective because a 'must-have big feature' to one person could be something the next person never uses, but to me none of those to me are 'must-have big features', and some of which you can already do. You presumably know you can already drag the channels around in the mixer, so you must mean something other than what I think you mean. Also the naming of busses is already project-dependent, but you must know that, so again you must mean something different to what I think you mean.
How do you’d rag the channels in the mixer (by dragging them around in the tracks list?)? I’m updating from Logic 9, so I’m way behind with it all.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
How do you’d rag the channels in the mixer (by dragging them around in the tracks list?)? I’m updating from Logic 9, so I’m way behind with it all.
You drag their scribble strips at the bottom. Has worked for me in the past. Not near my Mac to check but if it won't let you do it, then that's something that's been weirdly disabled.

Reactions: rondo

rondo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Hi,

I do not mean the aux return channel names,
What I mean is you rename a send bus in the i/o menu and that is global. Let's say you renamed Bus 1 to Reverb, in the i/o settings, now every song will have Bus1 renamed to Reverb since it is in Global settings. Even old songs.
If you do not rename them using the i/o settings you are stuck with names like Bus2-Delay which only shows as Bus2 on the channel (unless you click on it) which is not helpful visually.

Also I do not know how it is possible to select a channel in the mixer and move its place freely. You can in the environment but not in the lower zone mixer.

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.08.57.png

Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.16.40.png
Screenshot 2022-07-22 at 10.17.04.png

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Logic Pro is a mature product now and I too am glad that not too much major shifts with it. We need Logic Pro to "Just work" and it finally does that.

Yes, they can always spend more resources to compete with the competition, but Logic Pro for Mac (to me) is the best for the Mac, especially the cost for what you get.

Yes, there are other programs, but every year you have to upgrade etc., and they don't really (to me) give worthy additions for the cost. Logic Pro overall is the best, especially if you bought it ten years ago when they updated from v. 9 to Logic Pro X - no other cost since, though probably they just add it to the overall Mac cost.

My hat goes off to the Logic Pro team. They produce a solid product that "just works". Glad Apple still works on it, updates it and did not discontinue it. Many Professionals use the program, so it should not be going away any time soon.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Logic Pro, with its effects and instruments library, is perfectly suitable for me. I'm mostly demoing my stuff before professional recording in the studio. But for highly professional workflows, I'd certainly look for ProTools or something similar.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
But for highly professional workflows, I'd certainly look for ProTools or something similar.
I would too but only because i know that's what most studios expect you to work with. I've used ProTools, many times, I'll take Logic over it any day of the week. It's just the standard in studios, and the reason it's standard in studios is largely historical.

nebojsak

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Not just that, I'd go for the Reaper too, for flexibility and customizability. Logic Pro is great to some extent (for those on a budget, who do not want/need to spend $$ for expensive plugins), but lacks those (and OP has already noted missing features).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.