Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
I was just wondering why the MacBookPro wont ship with a DL drive. Are they giving up this technology?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Temujin said:
I was just wondering why the MacBookPro wont ship with a DL drive. Are they giving up this technology?

Cost cutting measures, so they can deliver a slower computer at a slightly lower high price.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
generik said:
Cost cutting measures, so they can deliver a slower computer at a slightly lower high price.

No, its because they needed to use an ultraslim model (slimmer than the ones in the PPC laptops and in the Mac mini). No-one makes a DL version in that form-factor.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Well that's a shame. It'll probably get the DL in the next revision. Or maybe blueray or HD-DVD :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Temujin said:
It's because DL blanks are so expensive, Apple decided it wouldn't be a good idea to release a product that depended on expensive third-party parts that nobody could get. Like Firewire 800.

For example, on the new MacBook they also went with the new, higher performance ExpressCard/34 slot, instead of the old PCMCIA slot technology. The ExpressCard/34 is part of the current standard PCI-e architecture, and it depends on...

expensive...

third-party parts...

that nobody...

can...

*Nevermind*

;)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
mdavey said:
No, its because they needed to use an ultraslim model (slimmer than the ones in the PPC laptops and in the Mac mini). No-one makes a DL version in that form-factor.

17-inch PowerBook G4 was 1" thick and has DL capability. I understand MB Pro is a hair thinner than 17-inch PB, but I think Apple could've spared a hair for DL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.