Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Just wondering why Apple don't have a docking back solution for MacBook/Pro's.

Would be nice to see it in the next revision of Macs!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
im sorry but no. that just wouldnt work. it would have to have this massive connection on the side/back/bottom that would need extra space for components. it would be good. but i just dont know, what benefits would come from the docking station????

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The connection wouldn't need to be "massive", and a docking station to any professional would be worth it's weight in gold.

I don't know why they don't do it, but you're right, for the Pro line they certainly should. Sadly I doubt they ever will though.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
umm It would mean when I come in the morning, I wouldn't have to plug in my power, external monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers...

If you look at the bottom of a Dell the connector is fairly discrete.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
umm It would mean when I come in the morning, I wouldn't have to plug in my power, external monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers...

If you look at the bottom of a Dell the connector is fairly discrete.

yea the bottom. have u seen how thin the mbp is (yes i realise you have one).
is it just one connector for all of the plugs??
will the dock affect heating issues (especailly on the mbp!)
how much will it cost to implement this whole thing vs how popular will it be????

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Have you seen the Dell D630? That's thinner than the MacBook pro and it has a standard dell dock connector which supplies all the ports, including power.

Apple could easily do it if they wanted to, I'm just wondering why they don't do it.

Oh, BTW I have a MacBook not a Pro...one day...a MacBook Pro :)

Payton

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
Portland, OR
Have you seen the Dell D630? That's thinner than the MacBook pro and it has a standard dell dock connector which supplies all the ports, including power.

Apple could easily do it if they wanted to, I'm just wondering why they don't do it.

Oh, BTW I have a MacBook not a Pro...one day...a MacBook Pro :)

wait a sec...

Dell D630:
13.3" x 9.37" x 1.27"

Apple MacBook Pro:
14.1'' x 9.6'' x 1.0''

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
I could live without a dock if someone made a quick connect / disconnect dvi cable without the locking pins. Anyone know if such a thing exists?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
The third party solutions suck. Apple needs to put in a connector like those found on many thin Vaios.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
i agree with the google search. if you've seen what they have out there for macbooks, they actually tend to do damage by scratching the **** out of the casing because they fit too tight or too loose and you haave a billion connections so you have to make sure it's on straight.

as for the MBP, idk how they could make a third party dock for it that actually is good.

i don't see Apple adding a port to their laptops to connect them to a dock because that costs money and takes up precious space.

krisis1

macrumors member
May 13, 2007
they could use the expresscard for it.
Think about it, it has USB in it already. Thing is, every device (network, audio, video) has to be inside the "dock" this way, so you couldn't possibly use the internal GeForce card etc.
Belkin has a High Speed Docking Station that does exactly this. Perhaps a solution for some, but definately not for everyone. Not for me, in any way. I'd like to see a full-fledged dock connector too. Unfortunately I guess it's not coming any time soon.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
We really do need more than 2 USB 2.0 Ports.

However, I can't see that big of a market for those with ACD's at home with nothing hooked up to them except for people with laptops that are using them all day.

Do many companies use Apple laptops?

Tracer

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I think it would be sweet if they did something like a series of contacts on the bottom of the machine that could be connected to. Then some surrounding magnets to hold the connector in place. The dock could even have some fans in it to assist in cooling. Then third parties like Logitech could make some really sexy docks in case someone doesn't like Apple's or if Apple charges too much.

It wouldn't take up that much space on the bottom I bet.

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Do you like BookEndz?

I was thinking about geting this for our 17" MBP C2D to hook up to a 30" ACD while in the studio all day.

Docking Station for 17" MacBook Pro

Specifications:
The docking station replicates all of the connectors and ports from the sides of the 17" MacBook Pro and routes the connectors to the back of the dock and uniquely manages the new MacSafe Power Connector. The dock allows for all of the peripheral devices normally connected to the sides of the MacBook - Power, Ethernet, Modem, Video, FireWire 400 and 800, USB, Audio In, Audio Out to be plugged into the back of the dock, and remain plugged in, independent of the computer. Taking the computer from the office or the home, or moving it from one room to another, doesn't require disconnecting and reconnecting several devices. You must use your MagSafe power supply to power up your MacBook Pro. The docks does not supply power but it does have a feed-through slot to safely house your MagSafe Connector. Money Back Guaranteed for 30 days!

Attachments

• 97285963.jpg
    97285963.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 64

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
the problem with those docks besides the price is that you can break connections if you're not careful putting them on straight.

duck tape, now that's the way to go :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.